Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Face Oils, Yay or Nay?

I am a skincare lover! I literally will sit and research brands all day, lol. My skincare routine include: Cleanser, Exfoliator, Toner, Serum, Eye Cream, and a Moisturizer. I am starting to notice that Face Oils are becoming pretty popular and were curious to know is it a necessity for skin care routines? Please share your thoughts on face oils the good, the bad, and the ugly. My biggest concern is that I don't want clogged pores! 

Thanks! 🙂 

Re: Face Oils, Yay or Nay?

Generally speaking, facial oils aren’t necessary. Neither are serums, eye creams, or (arguably) toners. It all depends on your skin type, the issues you want to address, and your product preference. 🙂 

I do use some oils on my combo skin, but not each day or night. For me, they’re either an antioxidant boost, extra moisturization, or a healing tool. I could probably cut a couple of these from my skincare stash, but I might as well use ‘em up and then decide if I want to repurchase them. 

E.l.f. Nourishing Facial Oil - This stuff saved my sore and extremely scaly-dry eyelids after another product caused a very bad reaction. Since then, I’ve tapped a tiny bit on my eyelids 2-3 nights a week to maintain moisture. I find this also helps my lids look less crepey. Most other facial oils irritate my eyes when applied to my lids, but this one doesn’t—as long as I don’t overapply. And it’s loaded with antioxidants that further protect my lids. 

Youth To The People Superberry Hydrate + Glow Dream Oil with Squalane and Antioxidants 1 oz / 30 ml - Another big antioxidant boost for my skin. This spring, I’ve used it a few times instead of my usual cream moisturizer as my second-to-last skincare step. (My last skincare step is sunscreen.) It’s worked quite well on its own, especially on my dry cheeks. This winter, I’ll try pairing it with my daily moisturizer to hopefully create a better hydration seal in frigid windy weather. And this oil really does make my skin glooooowy. 

Herbivore Emerald Hemp Seed Deep Moisture Glow Oil 1 oz/ 30 mL - I received this as gratis from Sephora. In the winter, this stuff does wonders for dry patches on my cheeks. I’ve also used it on dry rough skin elsewhere on my body, especially my elbows. I keep forgetting to try it as a scalp oil... note to self! This is another glow-maker oil for me. 

KORA Organics Noni Glow Radiant Eye Oil .34 oz / 10 mL - I’ve use this primarily on winter nights, when cold weather beats up my very dry undereyes. My eyes are kinda sensitive to it, so I don’t use it often on winter mornings. But it’s insanely moisturizing stuff that plumps my skin up a bit, and it comes in a convenient roller ball bottle. (Sure, there’s a downside of potential bacteria introduction via roller ball, but so far the product still seems viable.) I’ve also used it on dry patches on my cheeks. 

@Kayla404 I have dry/combo skin and face oils are a must for me. I have noticed a huge difference incorporating them into my skincare routine. I apply it as the last step before I go to bed for extra hydration overnight. I also mix it in to my foundation. 

@Kayla404   I'm already a fan of the Biossance Rose oil, and recently tried Herbivore's Emerald Hemp Seed Deep Moisture Glow Oil (Herbivore has two green oils; this is the one without cbd in it.)  It does a good job clearing the skin (both mine and my son's.)  It's a very dry oil, so it absorbs well and doesn't leave your skin greasy (unless you use too much of it.)

RE: Face Oils, Yay or Nay?

I LOVE using a face oil as part of my routine. I’ve incorporated them in over the past year and a half and my skin loves them. I’ve learned quite a bit about oils are my preferences too. I’ve found I have preferences on the weight of an oil. There’s some thin, drippy oils that may be beautiful for some but I like a medium weight that holds together or a delicious, thick oil for evening time. I love them because I feel like they get really deep into my skin pretty quickly and disappear. To address your concern with skin getting congested, I haven’t noticed that - I’ve actually noticed my skin getting LESS congested. (I also use acids and masks on the regular too, but I used them regularly before I used oils.) A couple of my favorites to get you started: Kora Organics Noni Glow (favorite of all time, gives me so much Glow) and Fresh Sea Buckthorn Oil (very thick and beautiful to use at night). If you love thinner oils I find the Biossance to feel thinner & the Drunk Elephant to feel thinner as well. I hope this answers your question & gives you a starting point! 💕

@Kayla404  Personally, I think it comes down to individual skin types and needs. I tried getting on the oil bandwagon a couple years ago, but my sensitive skin broke out, over and over, no matter what I tried. 

However, I have seen other people go through amazing transformations with oils, because it is right for their skin type. So, what I would recommend is getting samples of different oils, rather than buying full-sized products.  

For me, the daily step that has made ALL the difference is sheet masking with Korean, Taiwanese, and Japanese sheet masks. I fine-tune my mask choices on a daily basis to give my skin exactly what it needs, and breakouts have become very rare for me. Better yet, my skin looks healthier, brighter, and more supple than it did 10 years ago. 

Thank you, i definitely will sample a few to see how my skin reacts.

6 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 22 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing