Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Eye cream - hoax or not?

I would really like to hear some advice on what people think of eye cream? I've heard the argument that it can help with puffiness - which I can definitely believe, but is that it? Or eye cream is just a really thick moisturizer to moisturize dry under eyes. Eye bags are hereditary, so can they be fixed? 

If you don't think eye cream is a hoax, what's your favorite? What would you recommend?

Re: Eye cream - hoax or not?

I don't think its a hoax but I also think people need to be realistic about how much can be done. While there is no a lot to be done about genetic dark circles, those who suffer for other reasons can be helped, and I do think eye cream can help with dry under eyes and preventing fine lines. 

I'm not sure on whether I think eye cream is really just moisturizer repackaged but I have pretty sensitive eyes so I'd rather just use something that is stated for eye use. 

RE: Eye cream - hoax or not?

I’m not sure about eye cream, but I use Kiehl’s Midnight Recovery Eye Concentrate and it really helps with dark circles and puffiness

I've read articles saying that eye cream is really just moisturizer with a jacked up price, and I am inclined to agree.  If I'm using an unscented moisturizer on my face I can use that same thing on my eye area and it does the job just fine.  However, when I'm using a scented moisturizer I do like to use a separate eye cream, because my eye area is more sensitive than the rest of my face.

@briecheezyy You don't need an eye cream per se - that means that you can use what you use on your face around the eye region.  Check out literature from Paula Begoun 🙂

For me personally, I use Retin-A on my face, but it's too strong for my eye region.  So, I use FAB Retinol Serum and Vitamin C by PC; CeraVe PM for moisturizer.

I like eye creams.  They're not miracle workers, but the additional hydration helps plump up and reduce fine lines and helps concealer glide on smoother.  I never thought undereye circles could be helped, but I actually even noticed a subtle improvement on that with IT Cosmetics bye bye undereye.  My other fav is Caudalie resveratrol - both are good for sensitive eyes as well. 

If you want one product that can do double duty as a moisturizer and eye product, check out Origins white tea skin guardian.  

@briecheezyy  I am a fan of eye cream and serums! 🙂

Here's my routine:

a. Origins No Puffery under my eyes or Skyn Iceland Hydro Cool Firming Eye Gels (as soon as I wake up)

b.  Clinique All About Eyes Serum (morning)

c.  Clinique Pep Start Eye Cream (morning)

d.  Origins Gin-Zing or 100% Pure Caffeine Eye Cream (morning)

e.  Clinique All About Eyes Rich (morning/night)

f.  Murad Eye Lift Firming Treatment (night)

Coming from someone who has ALWAYS suffered from dark circles and bags under my eyes, I use to always think eye cream was a complete rip off because nothing seemed to ever work. I've tried everything from Olay, Clarins to Estee Lauder and still nothing...HOWEVER, about 3 weeks ago I decided to try the Lisa Watier Lift and Firm 3D Ultra Firming Rejuvenating Eye Cream and let me tell ya...this stuff is a miracle. I have noticed a HUGE change in my eyes, less darkness, bags and wrinkles!! ITS CRAZY. Its a little bit pricey, around $60 for 15ml bottle but I'm telling you its worth it! I have finally found the perfect eye cream and one that actually works! Its made me believe in eye cream again. 

briecheezyy wrote:

I would really like to hear some advice on what people think of eye cream? I've heard the argument that it can help with puffiness - which I can definitely believe, but is that it? Or eye cream is just a really thick moisturizer to moisturize dry under eyes. Eye bags are hereditary, so can they be fixed? 

I'm not convinced that eye cream is anything more than a tiny pot of anti-ageing moisturiser, and I don't think all skins need the extra product and considerable financial outlay. If you have dry skin and have no reaction (eye-watering, puffiness) to putting your regular serum and day cream all around the eyes, then do that. 

If your eyes are sensitive or your skin is on the oily side, then an eye cream will generally offer a lighter feel and no sun protection, which can aggravate. 

Whatever you choose, apply after cleanser and serum with your ring finger. 

The one I have used that I did enjoy was from Bio-Beaute, it didn't leave me feeling greasy and you only need one dot per eye. 

I hear Kiehl's makes a nice avacado one that helps with very dry, flaky or sensitive skins.

Conversation Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 19 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
testing