Your Basket is Empty
Sign in to see items you may have added previously.
See samples, rewards and promotions in .

Item Added to Basket

Free Shipping!

You're only $50.00 away from Free Shipping.

Post in Skincare Aware

Expensive Cleanser

I love the feeling of lathering up expensive ($20+) cleanser on my face, but other people can never tell a difference in my skin between when I'm using drugstore or expensive cleanser. My favorite cleansers are Kate Somerville Gentle Daily Wash, Korres Milk Proteins Foaming Cleanser, and Lancome Creme Confort. When I spend $ on brand-name cleanser, I can't help but thinking that money could be going towards some new shoes instead. Do you think cleanser is worth splurging on? Or is there no difference between Cetaphil cleanser and department store brands?

For a long time I had been using Clean and Clear morning...

For a long time I had been using Clean and Clear morning burst - this is something designed for any skin type but I liked how it helped to soak up any oil without drying my skin. I recently switched to clinique liquid facial soap which is about $10-15 more, but it's specifically designed for oily skin. I am going to try this product and see, since I have been using clinique's clarifying lotion and dramaticaly different moisturizing gel too. I like the fact that they are specialized for skin types. I still go with clean and clear for my face scrub, eye makeup remover and spot treatment though.

I think cleanser is worth splurging on if it has somethin...

I think cleanser is worth splurging on if it has something unique to offer other than just cleansing your face, such as acne  or wrinkle treatment. I've used Murad exfoliating face wash with salicylic, lactic, and glycolic acid, and it helps to keep my skin clearer than if I were using plain face wash such as Cetaphil (which I do love because of how gentle it is!). I also tried FAB face cleanser for alternating with my Murad, and honestly, it cleans my face like Neutrogena or Clean and Clear would. I don't see any difference between the $18 FAB and $4 drugstore brands. In conclusion, drug store brands versus high end brands both will clean your face. What really matters is if you have a specific need in terms of your skin care, high end expensive cleaners may be able to offer a wider range or gentler products than drugstores.

It varies from person to person and their skin.  Everyone...

It varies from person to person and their skin.  Everyone reacts to products differently.  For those who do well with the less expensive ones, a lot of people would be envious of the savings. 

I tried going cheap and my skin communicated very clearly that what I was using was not effective.  This of course was in the form of breaking out, over oil production, irritation, etc. It was easier going the less expensive route when I was not so dry.  I find with my current products, my skin is easier to manage and that I actually use the entire bottle of cleanser.

Although if I am in a tight situation (IE in an area with limited selection), a less expensive cleanser is not as havoc wrecking as the wrong moisturizer.

In short, if you like the results and the way your skin feels, stick with it. 

I think it varies from person to person and cleanser to c...

I think it varies from person to person and cleanser to cleanser.  I definitely think that buying a cleanser with antioxidants and other good-for-your-skin ingredients it important, whether it be in a less expensive line such as Neutrogena or a more expensive line such as Peter Thomas Roth.

I personally use a high-end and a lower-end both.  I use Caudalie Instant Foaming Cleanser once a day when I cleanse my face in the sink after removing my makeup for the day.  It's a wonderful, all natural, soap-free cleanser that is $26 a bottle and you can read about it here (if you're interested):  http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P12978&categoryId=B70
Instant Foaming Cleanser

I also use Clinique Acne Solutions Cleansing Foam when my skin misbehaves usually around "that" time of the month.  It is great about keeping breakouts under control and it costs $18.50 per bottle ( http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P188309&categoryId=B70 ).
Acne Solutions Cleansing Foam

However, when I take a shower in the mornings I wash my face with Neutrogena Deep Clean Long Last Shine Control Daily Scrub which exfoliates my skin and controls my oiliness.  It is gentle on my skin and I think it's an excellent cleanser that only costs around $8.00 a tube just depending on where you buy it. 

Anyway, those are my thoughts on cleansers.  I think you just need to buy a cleanser that you feel works and feels good on your skin.

Hope this helps!
Have a great day!
tenngal Smiley Happy

I think buying an expensive cleanser is debateable. As mu...

I think buying an expensive cleanser is debateable. As much as I want to just go out and buy a cleanser like Neutrogena or Clean & Clear, my skin cannot tolerate it. It's not like I'm being snooty, but a lot of drugstore brands use parabens and sulfates and factually, those ingredients dry out the skin. I do have acne-prone skin, but I stick with moderately priced cleansers. I think the cleansers that I have used that are effective are in the $30 range. I do see how some people can say, "You're only washing it off your face at the end anyway, so what's the point?" I used to be like that, too, but if my skin is breaking out, there's no way to just use a bar soap to just clean my face. Although I've never heard of Cetaphil, I have read that it's a classic gentle cleanser, so who knows? It may work for some people, but at this rate, I don't want to take a chance and affect the progress I've had so far with the cleanser and regimen I'm currently using. I just wanted to give my two cents on this subject. I hope this helps!

5 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors