Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Dry, sensitive, and acne prone skin solutions

I have extra sensitive skin -- my dermatologist is trying to treat me for rosacea and eczema but I don't have either, that's how sensitive it is.  

However, I also have acne and so the extra hydrating, super rich moisturizers like First Aid Beauty makes me break out.  But I can't use products geared towards acne, because they irritate my skin.

I do pretty well with plain soap and a light face oil, and I'm looking for some treatments to use once or twice a week to keep my skin fresh, but that don't irritate my skin or make it break out.  I can't use physical exfoliators because they irritate, and I'm afraid to buy chemical peels because they're expensive and usually pretty harsh.  I'd love a serum that helps cell regeneration (contains allantoin or urea etc.) but I'll do with anything at this point.

I just want one or two things to help push my skin over the edge from "okay, with a few minor breakouts" into "radiant with as few breakouts as possible"

Help?

Re: Dry, sensitive, and acne prone skin solutions

I have very similar skin to yours and have really struggled to find products that work for me, don't irritate my skin more or cause a rosacea flare and that won't make me break out. I would suggest Sunday Riley's Luna Oil as something you might want to try. I only need 2-3 drops for my full face. It clears my skin, is very hydrating and soothing but not heavy and keeps my acne at bay. Luna also has tons of benefits for your skin and helps with anti-aging and will exfoliate some due to the type of retinol in it, don't worry it's super gentle! I slowly started using Luna a few times a week and now I use it every night without any issues. This is one of my holy grails!

The other face oil I will recommend that I use every morning is the Kora Organics Noni Glow Face Oil. I love this so much and talk about a glow. It moisturizes, evens tone and plumps my skin. Makeup goes over this oil really well too.

Hope this helps you! From trial and error I have found face oils work for our sensitive skin really well. As for exfoliating I also stay away from chemical ones due to how harsh they can be. I want to suggest the Tata Harper Regenerating Cleanser. It works so well, no irritation and safe to use every day! I use it every night as my second cleanse. And I love the smell so much! You could try a sample if you are feeling brave and see how it works for you.

Re: Dry, sensitive, and acne prone skin solutions

I love the Dr. Jart Ceramidin range for hydrating sensitive, acne prone skin. The liquid in particular is very lightweight, and it helps to boost your skins barrier which should help it retain moisture. I also use the Skin Deva B5 hydrating serum, combined with a hydrating spray, like a rosewater one, to really pump up my hydration. 

Some good BHA toners may help, the Ren Clarifying Toning Lotion is good for acne prone skin, but sephora doesn't sell it, I usually get it on Dermstore.

The Nip+Fab Glycolic Fix Extreme toning pads, or the Pixi Glow Tonic are other good options for a chemical exfoliant. Try not to use foaming cleansers on your face, as that may dry it out more, a cream cleanser taken off with a wet washcloth will not strip your skin as much. Neutrogena has some good ones, or Clinique Extra Mild Liquid facial soap. I follow a lot of Caroline Hirons' skincare advice, she has a very informative blog and youtube channel.

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing