Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Dry, flaking, scaly skin

Looking for recommendations on the most heavy-duty facial moisturizer out there. I have used oils, usually underneath another night cream type of moisturizer (worn 24/7), but these tend to break me out. Because this condition afflicts my nose, especially the nostrils and immediate surrounding area, I only apply this to the affected area. Therefore I am not entirely opposed to trying out another oil product despite my previous problems with them.

Thanks for your recommendations!

Re: Dry, flaking, scaly skin

@BlytheReprobate  I second the recommendation to see a dermatologist, if you haven't already. You could have a skin condition that needs diagnosis and a personalized treatment plan. 

Normally I'd say dry, flakey, scaly skin sounds like a broken skin barrier, especially if it hasn't always been like that. In that case, I'd normally recommend stripping your skincare routine waaaay back to just a hydrating cleanser at night, then a petrolatum-based balm (CeraVe Healing Ointment, Aquaphor Ointment, etc.) applied as a moisturizer while your skin's still damp. Petrolatum is the most occlusive moisturizing skincare ingredient available. A petrolatum balm will act as a protective barrier while your skin heals. In the morning, skip cleanser. If you feel the need to "wash" your face in the AM, try gently wiping it with a very soft plush microfiber cloth (something like a Makeup Eraser), then apply that petrolatum-based balm again (while your skin's damp) as your moisturizer. And of course, apply a broad spectrum sunscreen over that for daytime. 

But I do think you should see a derm to find out what's causing your condition, if you haven't already been diagnosed. 

Re: Dry, flaking, scaly skin

@BlytheReprobate @Have you seen a dermatologist?

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing