Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Dry Skin Patches: Seborrheic Dermatitis

I have oily skin and reoccurring seborrheic dermatitis which comes back about once a year. Very flaky dry patches around my mouth and nose will appear that don't disappear from regular exfoliation and have to be treated topically. They remain dry no matter what skincare item I layer on it (including oils and Vaseline).

I have no idea what triggers it but so far, it seems to be products with Sulfates (especially cleansers). I find that if I use a sulfate-free cleanser it tends to stay away, but I don't know if it's actually true or just all in my head. When it does act up, I use Psoriasin for a week and it vanishes but it still sucks that it happens out of nowhere.

Does anyone else face this issue, and if so, have you find a better way to keep it away? I haven't seen a dermatologist yet because when it does come up, I never have time. So I'm looking to the community to share any tips 🙂 thanks

Re: Dry Skin Patches: Seborrheic Dermatitis

I also Have Seb Derm on my face and have tried countless amounts of skincare products. For a while i was using over the counter lotrimin with clotrimazol as the active ingredient and that helped but it also made my skin feel a little leathery after prolonged use. I also have cystic acne underneath the flaky skin. Recently i've been using some harsher things to try and treat my acne and the Skinfix Excema+ Dermatitis face balm is great for my Seb Derm. It's the consistency of vaseline but has really helped keep my dermatitis at bay without clogging my pores as much! They also make a dermatitis body balm which is the same price and a way bigger size than the face one - the only different ingredient that's added is zinc so this could be a good option too (although it does change the consistency quite a bit)! 

RE: Dry Skin Patches: Seborrheic Dermatitis

Have you seen a dermatologist? I have struggled with dry patches, too. & was prescribed some RX + was given recommendations on what makeup to buy. My doc said stay away from toner, makeup with fragrance, and go paraben free/vegan on most of the products I use.

I have this exact problem-I'm allergic to sulfates and chemically similar surfacants. They give me seborrheic dermatitis on my skin and canker sores in my mouth if they're in my toothpaste. If I dab on a little benadryl cream or similar anti-allergy cream, the itchy/patchy spots go away. I combat this by only using bar soaps, sulfate free shampoos (briogeo be kind, by gentle is my favorite), and carefully reading the labels on cleansers OR just using oil based cleansers. Sulfates are in so many things, it makes life kinda difficult when you realize you're allergic to the majority of every type of cleansing product on the market. Luckily if you focus on the more 'natural' side of the market, you can usually find something that works.

I know this is an old post but I am reading some of the comments and just Incase someone that is just being diagnosed with Seborrheic Dermatitis and is on here looking for answers to treat their Seb Derm.. I thought this might help-I also want to say in the nicest way possible... shea butter feeds yeast. If it is diluted enough.. it might be okay- you just need to be really careful with it. As far as treatment goes-There is an oil called Biom8 that is the absolute best treatment out there for Seborrheic Dermatitis and Rosecea. Just type it into google and it will pop up.  EAD8CEFB-8FED-41C4-99BC-FA433578E880.png

Anonymous Insider

I have the same problem. I found that Topical antifungal creams containing Ketoconazole have worked best for me. Along with 1% Hydrocortisone cream. Also, if your into the home remedies stuff you can try: coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, tea tree oil, or biotin. 

I am so happy to see I'm not the only one with this. Please let me know if you find a solution. I feel like I've tried every moisturizer out there including drugstore brands like Cerave.

Hi! I suffered from this also - only it was on my scalp. It was awful. It ended up being a hormonal issue for me. I recommend seeing the derm. You don't have to see him only when the condition is present (it always happens at your busiest time, right?!). You could snap photos to show the doc when you do find time to go in. I imagine treating the scalp is different than the face - but apple cider vinegar helped tone down the flare ups on my scalp. It has been years since I have had this problem - so I can say from experience that it will go away. You just need to determine the cause (hormones, stress, etc). Good luck my friend!

Anonymous Insider

RE: Re: Dry Skin Patches: Seborrheic Dermatitis

Hi kelly101! I was JUST diagnosed with Seb Derm on my scalp (...and, to complicate things, periorial derm on my FACE)!!! I’m totally stressed/overwhelmed. I’m on antibiotics for the per derm (infection) and using anti-fungals for my head!! I’m desperate for good advice...wondering if you could walk me through how you would clear your scalp during a flare up, and how you discovered it was hormonal? I really think mine is too... Thank you so much for your post! Brie

Re: RE: Re: Dry Skin Patches: Seborrheic Dermatitis

Please check out biom8. I am not getting paid to tell you about this. I spent two years learning/trying to find a cure for seborrheic dermatitis... and there isn’t one. BUT, this is by far the closest thing to it. I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars on different treatment options. This oil is by far the best and you will notice a difference almost immediately. Also, skin problems are usually from gut problems. I would try Dr. Myers Candida supplements. I’ve tried many Candida cleanses. I’ve only taken hers for two weeks and I’ve already seen a bigger difference than any other supplement I have taken for Candida. If you need any help... please contact me. I’m going to put my Instagram that I don’t use and you can message me through there if you have any questions. (Kelccmiler)

thanks for the tips! 🙂

Have you tried 100% shea butter? Last year for more than 6 months my eyelids had the same issue. It was so bizarre, oils didn't work but as soon as I started using shea butter it cleared right up.

i'll try it out the next time it flares up again, thanks!

Huh, I get oily and flaky when I'm using products that are too drying/rich for my skin or get lazy and don't do skincare twice daily. If you like sulfate-free cleanser, I recommend Boscia Purifying, which cleanses but is very gentle.

The oil and vaseline are great at forming a protective layer over skin to prevent against moisture loss, but have you tried a hydrating serum or something more lightweight/thinner consistency underneath to provide hydration deep down? While you should exfoliate regularly, if it's too harsh or you don't follow up with proper moisturizing products, your skin may continue to remain dry and flaky and rough.

Since it happens yearly, maybe also keep track of when it happens and what you were using/doing? It may be due to the changing of season (lack of humidity, sunburn etc), or specific product.

keeping tabs on when it happens what I use is a great idea. maybe i'll start doing that in a notebook. thanks! 🙂

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 20 Hearts Given
  • 11 Contributors
Photos1
  • EAD8CEFB-8FED-41C4-99BC-FA433578E880.png
testing