Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware

Drunkelephant retinol and BHA

Hi everyone, newbie here lol. My skin is super super sensitive. I wondering any one here use BHA and Retinol of drunkelephant together but not a sametime yet? (like night use BHAA and morning use Retinol) is that ok or is that toomuch? Because I know retinol should not be use with BHA at the same time. However, can they use together but different time? Or how to best way to use them? 

Re: Drunkelephant retinol and BHA

Oh no, Hunny

You, in actuality, should switch up those products.  Retinal should only be used at night because it can cause your skin to become more sensitized to uva and UVB rays, aka sunlight.  You can use the BHA in the morning, but even then, this could cause unnecessary sensitivity.

AHA's are better used in the morning because they help to exfoliate the topmost layer of your skin, while BHA's target the deeper layers of your skin.  People tend to use either glycolic acid, lactic, or mandelic acid (aha's that are most common) to help exfoliate and brighten your skin in the morning.

As someone who has used BHA and retinals countless times here is my recommendation

Sunday: Retinal + azelaic acid (the ordinary has a cheap one)

PM only

Monday: BHA

Tuesday: BHA

Wednesday: Retinal + azelaic acid

Thursday: BHA

Friday: BHA

Saturday: Retinal + azelaic acid

I think azelaic acid would pair well with your retinal regime because it helps slightly exfoliate but it also helps with calming redness and sensitivity.  But it can also be used with AHA and BHA ingredients.

I also think you would love the peach and Lilly blue algae exfoliating mask (gel mask)  You would use this on a BHA day once a week to help exfoliate and smooth the skin.   I have very sensitive dry skin and find that this helps with my redness and active acne marks. 

REMEMBER SPF IS YOUR BEST FRIEND WHEN USING THESE TYPES OF INGREDIENTS.

I would check out Dr. Dray a dermatologist on youtube or Beauty within, they go over ingredients how to layer products, and overall great advice on recommendations and skin types.

Hope this helps.

Conversation Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 2 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
testing