Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware

Drunk elephant?

Hi! I was thinking about purchasing some skincare products from Drunk elephant and I was wondering if it really worth the price? I have an extremely sensitive + dry skin and I wanted to know if some of yall with the same skin type had some bad experiences with this brand ?! If not, do you have some good products that I could try?( So sorry for the mistakes, English is not my first language)

Re: Drunk elephant?

@RoseAlly  I thought I would chime in here as I was using every product of Drunk Elephant line and exclusively only that line for 3 years or so.  It did really great job on hydrating and moisturizing my skin and making it pretty normal. Though it did not give me glass skin, plumped it up or gave me a radiant skin. 

I recently started venturing out to other brands and I realize that combination of multiple of these things is working for me better (more radiant and plump skin). Don't get me wrong, I still like Drunk Elephant a lot and use many of the products but I am not all and everything exclusively DE anymore.

Just for your reference - I introduced The Ordinary Niacinamide which is doing wonders in terms of Brightening. I also use Caudalie Radiance Serum (bought in multiple subscription boxes so overall much cheaper) and that is true to it's name in my experience, gives radiant skin. I added CosRx BHA liquid which for me is gentler on me than the DE exfoliating serums. 

DE products are really good and I love and agree with their philosophy (avoiding suspicious 6) but I found out that adding some different products (that also avoid suspicious 6 but are lower cost) in my routine is working better for me. 

It depends on what your skin’s sensitive to. I recommend you start with samples or mini sizes and test those for at least 3 weeks. Then you’ll know which full size products are worth buying.

I have combo skin that’s mostly dry. I’ve tried several DE products and my skin hated all but one of them: Lala Retro. My skin loves Lala in frigid windy winter weather. (I live in Chicago.) I don’t use it on my face the rest of the year, only in winter when temperatures drop below 0F. 

My skin hates honey, so Pekee Bar was a disaster, even though I’d patch tested it for 2 weeks with no problems. That stuff dried my skin badly, especially around my eyes. The Beste jelly cleanser seemed fine the first 2 times I used it, but it dried my face out (lots of scaly dry patches) on the 3rd use. C-Tango never penetrated my undereye skin, it always pilled terribly; my skin rejected it. 😂 Protini wasn’t nearly moisturizing enough for me, and I have as good or better sources of peptides in my other skincare products. There’s something else I tried but don’t recall what it was. 

I can give you other product suggestions is you let us know what kinds of products you’re looking for (hydrating serum, moisturizer, skin brightener, exfoliation, etc.). 🙂 But in general, First Aid Beauty is a good brand for sensitive skin. I don’t like all their products, but I love their AHA exfoliation serum and their Facial Radiance Pads. Their retinol serum is VERY low dose, 0.25%, so it’s a good way to see how your skin reacts to retinol if you’re thinking of trying that ingredient. I don’t like their cleanser but many other people do. 

I switched over to Drunk Elephant products a little over a year ago and my skin has been looking fantastic. They are pricey, but I find that on average, the products that I use daily (i.e. Protini, Lala, and C-Tango & Shaba eye creams) last me over 6 months. Other products I use every other day, such as A-Passioni Retinol and TLC Framboos Glycolic serum, last much longer (12 months or more). So while they are expensive, they last me quite a while. 

My favourite products are the Protini and Lala moisturizers and the TLC Framboos Glycolic serum. I also enjoy the eye creams, but find they don't look great under makeup, so I tend to only use them at night. I really love the A-Passioni retinol cream, but I had a very rough start with it. For the first couple of weeks my skin was very red and irritated. I'm glad I didn't give up though. After a few weeks of using it in small amounts, my skin adjusted and I no longer have any irritation. 
I've also been using their C-Firma and Hydra-B serums. While I find them enjoyable, I don't find they make as big of a difference in my skin's appearance as the other products I've mentioned. 
Overall, I love DE's products and haven't looked back since I began using them. They come out with kits every so often that contain a variety of products at a really good price. They are a great way to try things out before committing to the full size. 🙂 

Like a lot of people, I got into DE with dry, sensitive skin. Now, at 40, I have the nicest skin of my whole life. I had a lot of doubts that one line could serve all skin types, but it has worked for me. Obviously YMMV. Still, I am a total convert. And I wasn’t using cheap stuff before. I was a big Tatcha and Glow Recipe girl. I still use certain products from both of those lines, but my heart belongs to DE now. 

FTR, I use:

The hydrating serum

The day Vit C serum

The Jelly and Slaai cleansers

The peptide cream

The Framboos, which I mix with the marula oil

The Babyfacial

The eye cream 

And the SPF

And ... I think that’s it.

I’m thinking of trying the Lippe balm next.

Drunk elephant?

their products are more on the intense side so probably avoid their retinol or fromboise serum. their hydrating products are very nice and their bronzer serum is excellent. but price wise I don't think they're that great and their value sets aren't very good try first aid beauty or going in for a mini facial

I love my Drunk Elephant!  I started out with the set of littles and it has totally changed my skin!  Now I'm working up to buying all the products as I run out of the little version.  I can't even say what my favorites are! I love them all!!  It wonderful that you can just smoothie them together and go!  

@RoseAlly I really like the B-hydra because it's thick enough to mix in with my retinol as opposed to running everywhere. That said, like @sockmagnet mentioned below, you can probably get similar/same results from more affordable products. I know Klairs has a hydrating serum you can get on amazon or through soko glam, and cerave also has a hydrating serum with vitamin B that's pretty affordable too. I also saw a few hydrating serums at my local Whole Foods with testers that seemed promising, though I ultimately passed on those because they were pretty oil-heavy and I wan't sure how that would mix with my oily/combo skin and the oil products I already use in my routine.

I also really like their Protini moisturizer and I think it has some very unique properties I have yet to find a dupe for- specifically the firming/smoothing effect. That being said, it's on the lighter side moisturization wise and I think if you're concerned simply with getting the best care for your skin you could find something better for dry leaning skin.

I had a similar question a few weeks ago.  I managed to get a sample of DE and I was hooked.  I went to the store the next day and bough two sets of the minis.  I am currently do my research to figure out what I will be purchasing in the full size! Not limiting myself to what I tried as most of their products do not come in mini sizes. 

@RoseAlly expensive products are worth the price if they make you feel good, encourage you to take care of your skin, and don't leave you struggling financially. Otherwise, you can pay less money and find products that will do just as much good for your skin. 

Spending money on serums and eye creams is probably going to do you more good than spending a lot of money for an expensive face cream. I've spent the past year experimenting with new products and taking regular photos of my face in natural light to monitor if I could see any difference whatsoever between using cheaper products versus more expensive ones. If you can find a group of products that work for you, then they will be worth the price you pay... but spending more is no guarantee of results. 

One product that I do recommend is the Dew It All Total Eye Cream from Farmacy. I've tried numerous other eye creams / oils / cooling gels, and have found that almost all of them cause irritation and/or encourage the formation of milia when used regularly - but Farmacy's eye cream doesn't, so it is a winner for me. 

If you can afford it, I also recommend the Ageless Enriching Renewal Cream from Tatcha - I buy a small travel size of this from time to time and just use it sparingly when I want to treat myself. 

@RoseAlly My skin is combo/sensitive and I have had really good luck with Drunk Elephant. I have tried almost all of their products and they are worth it to me. I love the packaging. The Lala retro moisturizer and b-hydra are fantastic for dry skin. Are there any products in particular you have questions about?

RE: Drunk elephant?

Drunk Elephant carries some of my favorite skincare! I personally have oily-combo, very sensitive skin so I have a few different issues with my skin but I will tell you what I’ve experienced with my skin type for some of the products. Surprisingly the Protini Polypeptide cream works wonders with my skin, it is indeed a cream but is still light enough that if doesn’t clog my pores. I’ve also used the Lala Retro whipped cream and personally experienced some severe breakouts. Mainly on my cheeks and in-between my eyebrows. Seeing as you have dryer skin though, that may be a better option since it is much thicker. I’ve also used the Jelly Cleanser Beste and love it! It’s a very neutral face wash and left my skin feeling hydrated and balanced. I have also used the Marula oil with much success! I find it makes my face warm and turn a bit red at first but after about 20 mins it calms. Each time I’ve used it I’ve woken up with glowing skin the day after. I hope some of this feed back was helpful! I’m sorry I do not struggle with the same skin issues but overall I’d 100% recommend DE products. You can always ask for some lovely samples in store to make sure you don’t drop $60+ on a product your skin badly reacts too. Good luck!

I like be DE products and the packaging is awesome and airtight when it needs to be!!! I recommend LALa Whip. Very rich and moisturizing. Also the Slaai cleansing balm is the best!!!!
Anonymous Insider

Hi! From the Drunk Elephant line I enjoy the B Hydra Gel and Protini for moisturizing humectants, these trap water from leaving your skin. However, an occlusive moisturizer is needed to stop all the water from evaporating. This will help dry skin a lot. I recommend CeraVe moisturizing lotion in a tub. It has 3 essential ceramides to protect the skin barrier, hyaluronic acid for penetrating and plumping deep layers of the skin. It’s found at most drug stores and is a great face and body moisturizer. It is for sensitive skin and is dermatologist recommended. Best of luck!
Anonymous Insider

Maybe try LaLa whipped cream from Drunk Elephant for dry skin. That and the Protini packaging are both smart and elegant - CeraVe is what I recommend over LaLa because of the ceramides and price. Maybe ask a physician and play with the formulas.

@RoseAlly I have sensitive dry/combo skin and these products worked for me

Drunk Elephant B-Hydra™ Intensive Hydration Serum with Hyaluronic Acid 1.69 oz/ 50 mL

DRUNK ELEPHANT - C-Firma™ Vitamin C Day Serum

Drunk Elephant C-Tango™ Vitamin C Eye Cream 0.5 oz/ 15 mL

Conversation Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 44 Hearts Given
  • 15 Contributors
testing