Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Drunk Elephant destroyed my skin

I recently decided to give the Drunk Elephant line a try after reading so many amazing reviews. Unfortunately, it made me break out LIKE CRAZYYYY!! I haven't seen my skin this bad since I was a teenager and I'm now 28. Any recommendations? I have sensitive acne-prone skin. 

Re: Drunk Elephant destroyed my skin

sometimes when you use products it gets worse before it gets better. but if you have really sensitive skin you might want take it slow. or your skin just doesnt do well with that brand. hope this helps

I'm not a fan of Drunk Elephant just because of packaging. It looks like you are going to get WAY MORE than you actually get. If you open up/take apart the product, there is so much wasted space specifically designed to take up room so there is less space for actual product. I feel like it's kind of a scam. 

Just please do not try Sunday Riley ice 😭 I am still recovering. I have tiny bumps covering my face/neck  and it’s super uncomfortable. I’ve never experienced anything like it. I don’t even get pimples so this is so strange to have any reaction. But please everyone go check out the 1 star reviews on that product almost everyone says they got these same bumps!!! It’s disturbing how this is still running on the market causing people skin such discomfort something needs to be done this is not ok😭

Omg that’s crazy? Good to know, I was considering their stuff...

I think for the brands like Drunk elephant that have some very strong products, they key is how gently and strategically you introduce them to your skin. Firstly many of the products aren’t suitable for sensitive skin. Even if you don’t have sensitivity you still need to start products many of their products one at a time with only once or twice a week until your skin accept that product and then introduce second product. Their serums, baby facial and A- Passioni aren’t the kind of products that could be started simultaneously. 

RE: Drunk Elephant destroyed my skin

Me too! Destroyed my skin! It has coconut alkanes in it as the 2nd or 3rd ingredient I can’t remember and coconut oil and derivatives are pore clogging. Protini broke me out every time and the night serum caused major discoloration in my skin. I use mostly ole Henrisken products. No Vit c serums. My skin doesn’t like those either. But I use the Caudalie cleanser for acne (night only/green bottle) I stopped washing my face w a cleanser in the mornings. Ole Henrisken oil control toner, Caudalie essence, OHen power day serum (for day) and night cream(for night) (Bakichol line) , Herbivore Bakichol serum, Ole Henrisken gel Creme moisturizer (truth line) and An eye Creme the Tatcha peony one has worked well for me. But u just have to find what works for ur skin. This has been good for me and improved my skin dramatically.

RE: Drunk Elephant destroyed my skin

yooo same i tried the protini moisturizer and my ENTIRE FACE broke out in fungal acne....it was the worst! i stopped using it and it cleared up and then i went to try it again and the exact same thing happened 😞 really wanted to like it cuz i looooved how my skin felt before it started acting up but i’m positive that was the product that did it. and now i’m terrified to go near anything DE cuz i have no idea what ingredient it was that made me react that way

@CMRicher   The best thing to do is stop using everything and give your skin a break while it settles downs you’re likely reacting to the high  vitmain C content combined with freshly exfoliated skin.  It’s also possible to over exfoliate your skin which will cause breakouts as well.  
keeping your skin lightly moisturized while it heals is a good idea.  Some simple hyaluronic acid will help with maintaining moisture balance.  
Once your skin has settled try reintroducing one product at a time over the course of a few weeks saving the vitmain C for last as it’s a common culprit of skin irritation.  You’ll have a better idea of which product you’ve reacted to.  

Anonymous Insider

I don't have any suggestions, but I had the exact same issue. I've got sensitive skin and acne prone skin myself and I tried a sample for the birthday gifts and it made my skin implode.  

Anonymous Insider

It was probably the combination of the Vitamin C serum in the morning and the Glycolic acid at night. The two acids can sometimes react with each other especially with sensitive skin. My skin will sometimes produce extra oil when I have to many exfoliates on and make me break out.

@CMRicher what products did you use?

I had used the Rise+Glow and NightBright kits. Honestly, I am not knocking the brand as I still wish I could use their products since their ingredients are great! I just think my skin is way to sensitive and doesn't take to the products (the ones I've tried at least!) 

@lmaster wrote:
@CMRicherwhat products did you use?

@CMRicher DE uses AHAs/BHAs and other what I consider "harsh" ingredients in their products.  Different lines have different ingredients and what they choose isn't necessarily bad, it just might not work for your skin type.  DE also does not use essential oils, considering them irritating, though my skin loves essential oils.  I like some DE products (the C and the balm cleanser) but have issues and really can't use other products.  Over time, I have learned that I can use AHAs/BHAs once a week or so.  My daughter can't use them at all.

I bought the DE trunk this year, forgetting why I hadn't bought more of this brand in the past, and got red blotches within a few days of using a few of the products - the AHAs/BHAs.  Other people's skin responds well to AHAs, and that debate is one that has been had numerous times over the years on this board.

Tatcha uses fragrance and alcohol in their like (but not in all of the products).  Again, if your skin can handle it, not a problem.

But, ultimately, only you can determine what ingredients work for your skin.  

I've seen a pattern on here, ppl that don't like Tatcha love DE and vice versa. I'm not a fan of DE but so many ppl love their products. Same with Tatcha, I love their line but a lot of ppl complain about it

I think that it's really hit or miss depending on the person and their skin type. some of the products like the Retro Lala cream was way too oily for my skin but the B Hydra Serum is what I use every single day and I have had no negative experiences with it. I also really like the baby facial and some of the other serums. so basically none of the creams or cleansers work well for me and that seems to be the case with a lot of people

I do an obsessive amount of research on ingredients and though DE has  quote clean products the "peptides" in most of their products are fruit derived. Being allergic/sensitive to fresh pineapple enzyme I didnt think about it. Cut to my sephora birthda gift of DE gel cleanser and moisturizer. I have never used anything that has done this to my skin EVER, it's like sand paper and raw around my mouth and eyes. Funny thing is DE tells you if you aren't using them exclusively it's your fault. Naw bro. I've used thousands of products...its you. Bye DE

I’m repairing my skin from dryness as well. I’ve bought Sheamoisture 100% virgin coconut oil  with  hyaluronic acid followed by same brand moisturizer. I have occasional break outs too, however right now my face needs to repair from the dryness  I doubt there’s any oil left in my skin to break out. I was excited to use  DE since it had great reviews 🙄I spent over $150.00 to try it. Now I’ve spent $28.00 worth of Walgreens products to fix my face.😤 

Omg yes I’ve been using the DE the littles and I’m not sure what product specifically is doing this but around my mouth is raw and between my eyebrows HELP ! Any advise this has never happened 

I had that experience with the Belif brand. Not every product line is for every person. I’m really sorry you have to go through that. I hope you’re found a different line that works for you.

Same here. I was so excited to use the belief moisture bo...

Same here. I was so excited to use the belief moisture bomb and it caused a terrible breakout all over my face. I rarely get acne and when I do it's almost always a monthly hormonal issue. I spent an awful lot of money and ended up just giving it away. I started using the DE and my skin started clearing up. I'll have to be more careful. too bad because the belief aqua bomb didn't cause break outside but I have to reapply too often on the dry spots in my chin area. 😞
1 Reply
Conversation Stats
testing