Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Drunk Elephant - Do you really need to use them exclusively for best results?

So I finally splurged and got the Drunk Elephant TLC Framboos Night Serum, and am really excited about it so far! I also got a mini of the A-Passioni Retinol to try when the one I’m currently using runs out. I’ve been reading though that it’s recommended to use exclusively Drunk Elephant products in your routine. I’ve always been the type to splurge on retinols and other treatments/serums, and I’m even considering trying out one of their moisturizers (Protini) since I feel like my basic Clinique just isn’t cutting it anymore. 

However, I’m really struggling with the idea of spending so much on the DE cleanser and sunscreen. If I stick with my more basic (also, cheaper lol) cleanser and sunscreen, will I still get the benefits of the DE serums, or will I really be missing out on results? I’ve also been sensitive to Vitamin C Serums in the past, so I have concerns about using their C-Firma day serum, and might want to keep using the Versed peptide blend day serum I currently use. I’d love to hear from people who have had success with using DE products with other brands in their routine too. 

Re: Drunk Elephant - Do you really need to use them exclusively for best results?

I will start writing this by saying you will have to try various combinations and figure out what works for you. 

I fell in love with DE products, their philosophy was aligned with beliefs that were drilled into me from childhood  (no makeup (make-up only during big events), no silicones/ suspicious 6) and religiously followed their recommendations.

I used to use ONLY DE products (and no makeup) exclusively for about 3 years. I did like my skin but did not see life changing results. I branched out and combine DE products with other ones and very happy with the results (and so is my wallet 😀). 

I'll come back and post some of my combos but my current favorite is -

Daytime : Drunk Elephant C-Firma™ Vitamin C Day Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL  Mixed with The INKEY List Ceramide Hydrating Night Treatment 1 oz/ 30 mL  (Umbra Tinte sunscreen if I am going out)

Nighttime : The Ordinary Marine Hyaluronics 1 oz/ 30 mL and then again Inkey List Ceramides on non-active days

On Retinol Days - Marine Hyaluronics and then layer on Drunk Elephant Mini A-Passioni™ Retinol Cream 0.33 oz/ 10 mL  mixed with Inkey List Ceramides. On days I am feeling dry I top it with other moisturizer

On BHA days - Just the CoxRX 2% BHA liquid and nothing else

I have cut down a lot on number of products in each routine and my skin has been happier. Now if I could only solve for big ugly (probably harmonal) giant painfull zit appearing on my chin every 4-6 weeks, I will be a happy camper. 

Re: Drunk Elephant - Do you really need to use them exclusively for best results?

@comeoneileen88, I've used and currently use DE products in combination with skincare from other brands. My skin has a sensitivity to ingredients in the sunscreen and jelly cleanser, and I have a sensitivity to retinols in general so I've not tried their A-Passioni. I've read great reviews of all those products and know they have a following among many here, they're just not for me. On the other hand, I do love and incorporate in my skincare routine, the Drunk Elephant B-Hydra™ Intensive Hydration Serum with Hyaluronic Acid 1.69 oz/ 50 mLDrunk Elephant Virgin Marula Luxury  Face Oil 1 oz/ 30 mL Drunk Elephant Lala Retro™ Nourishing Whipped Refillable Moisturizer 1.69 oz/ 50 mL and Drunk Elephant T.L.C. Sukari Babyfacial™ AHA + BHA Mask Mini 0.5 oz/ 15 mL. Drunk Elephant D-Bronzi™ Bronzing Drops with Peptides is staple for me, as well. 

Thank you for the feedback! So glad to hear that you still see results without using the cleanser and sunscreen. I also have samples of B-Hydra, Marula Oil, and D-Bronzini I’m excited to try, but afraid I’m going to become addicted and end up spending all my money on Drunk Elephant 😂

@comeoneileen88  I really like drunk elephant and think some of their products are really great. There are also some really good dupes for some of their products out there. I’ve heard the Inkey list peptide moisturizer is a good dupe for protini. I love the TLC glycolic serum. I didn’t like the vitamin c serum as I thought it was way overpriced and irritated my skin. They say it has a reservoir effect so perhaps that’s why it irritates my skin. The mini sizes are a great way to try them out! This a great place to find out about dupes or other suggestions. 

Thanks for the product recommendation! I’ve heard good things about Inkey List. I’m nervous I’ll have a similar reaction to the vitamin c serum, since other brands have irritated my skin in the past.

Do you use moisturizer on the nights you use the TLC Framboos? I have been, but I’m worried it’s impacting the effectiveness of the serum. I wonder if it would be better if I used an oil or hydrating serum with it instead.

@comeoneileen88, it's super easy to fall in love with Drunk Elephant products! Excellent that you have samples; that's a good way to start off with seeing how your skin will respond to the products. If you introduce one of the new product at a time into your current routine, it'll make it easier to see how your skin responds to it. The products you have samples of are some of my favorites from the brand.

DE also has mini sizes of a few of their skincare products, either sold individually or in sets/duos. I'll try to tag some. 

Drunk Elephant Been A Long Day™ Glycolic Serum + Moisturizer Duo 

Drunk Elephant Time to Wake Up™ Vitamin C + Hydration Serum Duo 

These are awesome, thanks for linking! I think a mini of the C-Firma is definitely the way to go since vitamin c serums don’t always agree with my skin.

7 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 13 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing