Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware

Dr. Dennis Gross Ultra Gentle Peel + Biossance Squalane Lactic Acid serum

Hi All,

I am a male who has dry/sensitive skin.  I have been using the Biossance Squalane + Lactic acid serum nightly in my routine and it has worked great for me the past 2 months.   

I recently got the Dr Dennis peels and wanted to know if I can use the peels in the AM while I keep the biossance serum nightly?  Or do I need to pick one or the other?

thank you

Re: Dr. Dennis Gross Ultra Gentle Peel + Biossance Squalane Lactic Acid serum

@uncivilized it depends on your skin! The % of lactic acid in the Biosssance serum is already at 10%, which is toward the upper end of leave on use at a time. So adding more AHA at the same time is probably not ideal.

You're already exfoliating every day, so I am curious why you want to add another exfoliant? If the purpose is to add in BHA and retinol (which the Regular and Extra Strength contain), then it would be best to start using once a week and lowering uses of the Biossance, to build up toward potentially alternating use. You could also look for other items just containing the other active. If the purpose is to try a new exfoliant, then completely switch it out with the Biossance and start once or twice a week for two weeks and build up.

The Biossance is loaded with squalane which provides a lot of extra hydration, so if you end up switching it out, make sure you're adding in another hydrating step.

Alcohol in skincare can be sensitizing, depending on the form, concentration, and what the follow up is. The Sensitive DDG pads don't contain alcohol.

@Lovelyymora 

@haleyvvvv 

Thank you for the insight!

The peels were suggested by a friend of mine (who uses the peels vs biossance) to help me on my enlarged pores.  So really only trying the peels for that.  So net net, both will do the same thing and no need to try switching?

@haleyvvvv 

I got the ultra gentle peels so it probably does not have retinol (i need to check when i get a chance). 

How can I tell if there is over exfoliation? Sorry i am new to all of this.  The first time i tried the peel this weekend, i replaced the biossance completely and went all in - probably not the smartest.  I did go back to biossance last night.

It doesn't have retinol. You're probably good* to switch out the sensitive DDG for the Biossance, @uncivilized, if you wanted. I'd try the DDG for a few weeks to see how it worked and then if you wanted, you could try alternating. 

Signs of overexfoliation include: irritation, redness, increased sensitivity to other products, broken skin barrier, too tight and shiny of skin (almost waxy like) before becoming dry and flakey, increased texture and rough patches.

*I am not a dermatologist. It is best to check with a derm if you can. 

They're not exactly the same, @uncivilized. They do both contain lactic acid, an AHA, which helps exfoliate the top layer of skin. Depending on the strength, (sensitive versus normal versus extra strength), the DDG pads also contain other actives. For example, salicylic acid, a BHA, is found in these pads. BHAs are exfoliates known to get into pores and help clear them out.. Some people can handle using them an AHA and BHA during the same session, whether layering products or having them in the same product like the DDG pads. I know my dry and sensitive skin can't handle it, but everyone is different. The higher strength pads also contain retinol, which has anti-aging properties. It is often recommended, that unless formulated together in the same product (and even then, might be too much for some people's skin), to alternate retinol and AHA administration to start.

So there could be a benefit to using the pads for pore clearing. In that case, you'll have to decide if you want to incorporate the pads or switch them for the Biossance. If you incorporate, to start, reduce the number of times you use the biossance and start using the pads once or twice a week, then you can build up to potentially alternating days. If you're switching, make sure to only use the pads once or twice a week to start and then build up from there. It can take a few weeks to notice overexfoliation, so it is always best to go low and slow. Remember to patch test the pads on your neck.

Hi there! May I ask why you got the peel pads? Was it a suggestion from a Beauty Advisor at your local Sephora? Typically if you have dry skin much less sensitive. I would be very careful with the peel pads because they could do more harm. I would suggest a simple cleanser to combat your areas of concern if it is your dry skin. Most peel pads have “Alcohol” which can be drying to your skin. If you use it in the A.M I would be very careful to not over dry your skin due to the alcohol in the pads. 

For you I would recommend a simple cleanser and SPF for the morning. On the top of my head I know Fresh the Soy Cleanser is very gentle and does have cucumber and soy to help calm / cool the skin especially if you are sensitive. It’s good for male and female as well as all skin types. 

Hope this helps! 😃

Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 7 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing