Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|
Anonymous Insider

Does anyone have any recommendations for a face wash for an oily face??

I have an oily face and scalp also. And I have acne so I just wanted to try something new to see if it works.

RE: Does anyone have any recommendations for a face wash for an oily face??

I like Kate Sommerville’s Goat Milk Cleanser. It’s gentle without stripping natural oils. If that’s too gentle try Sommerville’s Exfolikate. And make sure to use oil-free moisturizer.

Re: RE: Does anyone have any recommendations for a face wash for an oily face??

I agree! I also recommend looking into the drunk elephant juju bar and the dr. Dennis Gross pore perfecting cleansing gel(it smells really weird but it is an excellent cleanser for acne prone skin.) I generally rotate between the three depending on how my skin is feeling day to day. All three are great options and will help with overall congestion and texture issues as well. Drunk Elephant JuJu Exfoliating Bar 4 oz/ 120 gDr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta® Pore Perfecting Cleansing Gel 7.5 oz/ 225 mL

Re: Does anyone have any recommendations for a face wash for an oily face??

@beautymatters01  I love BOSCIA - Detoxifying Black Charcoal Cleanserfor my oily skin. It cleans without drying and keeps oiliness under control.

Hi there, 

I have very oily and acne prone skin and i found that the best products that worked for me are Tatcha The Camellia Oil 2-in-1 Makeup Remover & Cleanser 5.1 oz/ 150 mL. it is an oil cleanser that i use in the morning. I found that it hydrated my face and did not make me more oily (for reference i am a 25 year old Italian-Canadian woman who takes public transportation 5 days a week to go to work so my skin is faced with a lot of pollutants throughout the day). i know that it is an oil but it is the only oil product that does not break me out nor does it cause me to become excessively oily throughout the day. I am still oily but not to the point where i would see oil residue on my phone screen after answering the phone (gross, i know lol). After washing my face in the morning, i like to use the Tatcha The Water Cream Oil-Free Pore Minimizing Moisturizer 1.7 oz / 50 mL as a moisturizer because it is lightweight and will not clog my pores. then i put sunscreen because it is extremely important to protect yourself from the sun! my favourite sunscreen at the moment is Shiseido Urban Environment Oil-Free UV Protector Broad Spectrum Face Sunscreen SPF 42 1 oz/ 30 mL. it is also very lightweight and meant for wearing in the city (example: to take public transportation to school or to work). 

At night, i like to use the TATCHA - The Deep Cleanse Exfoliating Cleanser (i am not promoting Tatcha i just find that their brand is the only brand so far that has helped both my sensitive oily skin and my acne! i think asian beauty products are very good at being gentle yet effective). this cleanser is gentle but it also exfoliates the skin. Afterwards, as a moisturizer i like to use OLEHENRIKSEN Glow2OH 7% AHA Exfoliating Dark Spot Toner 6.5 oz/ 190 mL paired with CLINIQUE Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion+ 4.2 oz Pump/ 125 mLto help with both oiliness and acne. I am currently dabbling into retinol and retinol alternative and on some days i like to rotate between THE ORDINARY - Hyaluronic Acid 2% + B5 paired with OLEHENRIKSEN - Glow Cycle Retin-ALT Power Serum and the two products mentioned above! 

I don't really do masks, i dont find that they help my skin much. in fact i feel like sometimes the masks make it worse lol maybe i havent found the right face mask yet! 

For the oily scalp, it could be that you are over washing your hair (maybe washing your hair too often?). since we are in quarantine, try going three days without washing your hair. it will be very oily in the first two weeks but you will definitely see a difference in a month! the reason your scalp may be oily is because it is actually very dry (due to the over washing maybe?). if you need to, use a dry shampoo to avoid washing your hair as often. my favourite dry shampoos are TARTE - Hair Goals Dry Shampoo (smells good and also acts as a hair spray and does not leave a white residue!), at the drugstore Batiste Dry Shampoo is also a really good brand and if you want to be ecofriendly and not use spray cans (i cant think of the right word lol) i also like Lush - No Drought! (it is a powder instead of a spray). if the no-washing-for-three days doesnt work, i would also recommend using Klorane Nettle Shampoo. the Nettle really helps reduce oil production but does not dry your hair and scalp out! you can also try a scalp mask from Lush called Roots, it has peppermint in it which helps revitalize the scalp. 

In summary:

For an oily complexion: what helped me the most was looking for an oil face wash that is free of silicone with a water based moisturizer (free of silicone and oil because that will clog your pores and feel heavy on your face and your skin will want to overcompensate by producing more oils further clogging your pores and causing acne).

For an oily scalp: try a scalp mask and not washing your hair as often (because some shampoos are very drying and that will cause your scalp to overcompensate and produce more oil to hydrate it). 

I really hope this helps!! 🙂

Does anyone have any recommendations for a face wash for an oily face??

Kate Somerville Exfolikate cleanser and the Shiseido Deep Cleansing Foam are both nice. They'll help bust the oiliness and tackle blemishes.
6 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing