Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Do you know your Acids?

I'm a firm believer in acids (scary word) for my skin. When I started doing research, I found the perfect combo of acids that work for me * disclaimer I have been in the beauty industry for 16 years in various roles * I thought it might be helpful/fun to explain the different types of acids.

*AHA (Alpha Hydroxy Acids) are useful for those of us with dry skin/mature skin. AHA's smooth texture and help fight visible signs of aging. Also useful for sun damaged skin. 

*BHA (Beta Hydroxy Acids) are more useful for those with fighting acne/blemishes. BHA's will help unclog pores, fight blackheads. 

*Hyaluronic Acid can hold 1000 x its weight in water and is a powerful anti aging ingredient. You can topically apply Hyaluronic or suppliment through your diet (broths rich in bones/skin, leafy greens, raw root veggies). 

*Lactic Acid is a type of AHA derived from veggies, plants and milk. Has the ability to moisturize while improving skins texture (my personal fav!) 

*Glycolic Acid is a mega form of AHA. It has the ability to exfoliate, fight visible signs of aging and fight/prevent acne. 

*Salicylic Acid is a type of BHA. Has the ability to exfoliate deeply and promote cellular turnover. Recommended for those with acne. 

*Ferulic Acid is a BHA dervied from the seeds of fruits such as oranges and apples. It is an antioxidant that is thought to reduce the effects of sun damage to the skin, it also aids in the absorbtion of your other skincare products making them work better for you. 

Do you know your Acids?

would you happen to know which would be best to use and best to avoid with psoriasis?

RE: Do you know your Acids?

Salicylic acid would be the best to use for psoriasis, but you should only exfoliate if there’s no wounding/bleeding/scabbing on or around the plaques. A 0.5-1% concentration should be fine, and you can get in OTC products.

Re: Do you know your Acids?

Is it safe to use a hyaluronic acid with in 12 hours of using a glycolic acid product or should I allow more time before it ?

also how long will effects last?

preparations for a wedding in  5 days 

thanks 🙂

@asjali Hyaluronic acid is moisturizing, glycolic is exfoliating, so yes it's safe 🙂

Hallejulah !!! thank you.

Tech at sephora was vague 🙂

@asjali

Hyaluronic is so good for your skin! Like @suzyo

Said, it's moisturizing so its completely safe!

Thank you !

I was banking on that !!

how long do effects last ?

I may want to wait until wedding day ( my brothers wedding , not mine -)

ie no one cares but me ( and hopefully the camera , haha)

This is so helpful @GG84! Thanks for taking the time to share you knowledge ❤️

Acids are what made my skin look “normal”. I use to have bad hormonal acne that would post scars. Especially during pregnancy. @GG84 this explanation can help a lot people on this board. I feel like When I’m on this board that I’m answering basically the same question. I don’t mind at all since people need help.

I'm also a firm believer I have used AHA since I was 25 a...

I'm also a firm believer I have used AHA since I was 25 and I'm 51 now and they help with everything uneven skin tone brown spots acne scares everything and I like the strong the better for me I like Lancer and love love the DE line I got the ole invigurating night gel also the mask and didn't care for it at all D.E. is way better also love Lancer

@Marie716 I've never experimented with the DE line at all...

@Marie716 I've never experimented with the DE line at all. I get into a routine that works for me and then find it hard to switch. I started using AHA/BHA when I was 24, I'm 33 now but my skin looks pretty great. I've incorporated mostly all with the exception of Salicylic as I have no need for it 🖤
Anonymous Insider

Anonymous Insider

Good post, would add BHAs are also anti-agers. They also help in minimizing fine lines and wrinkles.

Conversation Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 55 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
testing