Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Detailed Review - A-Passioni - Retinol from Drunk Elephant

Sharing my experience of introduction to Retinol here and would love to hear  thoughts from this very knowledgeable/ experienced community.

Disclaimer - I bought the product myself. Reviewing this on my own hoping it will help people new to Retinols    

Background - I have been using all DE products (whole line) exclusively for last 2+ years (started with few DE things 4 years ago). Occasionally I try other products (rarely) for few days but make sure those are free of suspicious 6 that DE recommends. I do not wear make-up other than on special occasions, about 4-5 times a years and did not wear any make-up at least 1 month prior to starting the use of Drunk Elephant A-Passioni Retinol.

First Impression - I used it in the night and next morning my skin had the glow from within. This was more instant/dramatic result than I have had from any other DE products (probably because I don’t have acne or other problems and I did not use suspicious-6 laden products plus my issue is hyperpigmentation which is hard to solve with just topical products) though DE has kept my skin soft, made it balanced (earlier it used to be flaky dry in winters).

Texture & Consistency - It is thicker and yellow-er than C-Tango (see the pic for comparing color, texture and consistency of A-Passioni with other DE moisturizers)

DE Color Texture.jpgDE Routine.jpg

I love the A-Passioni.

Having said that it requires precaution. I used it again after 2 nights and then my skin was dry. I Did not use any acids for next 2-3 days to bring it back to normal, just the moisturizers and sunscreen.

Some important DOs if you are new to Retinol -

• Up your hydration significantly  well outside (up your hydration much more than usual, thin serum or essence will work well. I am cautious of ingradients so I used COnsonant Hydra Extreme which has just two ingredients) and inside (drink lot more water)
  • Start slow, 1x week for first two weeks, 2xweek for next two-four weeks and then 3xweek after that and build from there I am following this and still at 2xweek in my 7th week I think. @eshoe  is also doing similar ramp-up
  • Build Rest days in your routines - In the beginning, after using the passioni on one day, next day just use hydrators and moisturizers (no Glycolic, Lactic or salicylic acids).  Then use those acids after the 1 day gap. This is helpful for first 8 weeks.
  • If Vit C is new to you or irritating you, use a milder form of Vit-C . I used C-Tango and stopped C-Firma for first few days when my skin was too irritated. 

Some important Don'ts -

• If you are new to Retinoids/ Retinols - Do NOT use it with C-Firma (Any Vitamin C) or TLC Framboos (or any Glycolic Acid) for the first month
  • Do NOT do physical exfoliation before putting on the retinol (at least for first 6-8 weeks). Not so much even as rubbing the skin with your hands to get the dead skin out. If needed, do it on your rest days
  • Do not use it on your neck (totally my fault, I generally take my remaining mix to my neck and did not read that DE does not recommend that). Pic below, it wook 2 weeks to heal 🙂
  • Do not be tempted to use more product (Retinol), let it go waste if you don't have anyone else to share the excess mix with.

My usual morning combo - C-Firma+B-Hydra+Protini+Marula 1 drop, top is off with Umbra+D-Bronzi after few min

My Usual Night Combo - B-Hydra+LaLa Retro +Marula 1 drop (Mix TLC in this 2-3x week)

After my skin came back to normal (after about 4- days), I read DEs post about using it with C-Firma, and felt like a great idea… NOT.. for my skin.

Tue 1/ 15 Morning - C-Firma+A-Passioni+B-Hydra+Protini+Marula 1 drop, top is off with Umbra+D-Bronzi after few min.

Tue Night 1/15 (no Acids)  - B-Hydra+Protini+Marula 1 drop

Wed 1/16 Morning (No Retinol) -  C-Firma+B-Hydra+Protini+Marula 1 drop, top is off with Umbra+D-Bronzi after few min

Wed Night 1/16 - B-Hydra+Protini+Marula 1 drop

Thur 1/17 morning - usual morning combo, as soon as I put the Umbra_D-Bronzi combination, my skin was burning (painful burning sensation not normal tingling that happens with acids)

Thur 1/17 night - Skin is red, super dry, peeling and hurting (pics below)

Healing Combo - For next few days I only use B-Hydra+Lala Retro+Marula and wash once with PeeKee bar and nothing else on my skin (Umbra/D-Bronzi were specially hurting).

Once my skin was ok. I used A passioni again after about 7 days after the last use. 2 nights later I used the TLC Framboos+B-Hydra+Protini+Marula 1 drop in the night. Next morning was fine but morning after that again I had red, super dry, peeling and hurting.

Spoiler
RetinolSkin1.jpgRetinolSkin3.jpgRetinolSkin2.jpg

Super Hydration (much needed with Retinol) - I finally added “CONSONANT HydrExtreme Hydration Booster” as first layer to my skin routine and it was great relief. So now my morning routine became - Rinse with water, layer of CONSONANT HydrExtreme Hydration Booster, B-Hydra+Protini+Marula. Added back Vitamin C after 1 week and then also added back Umbra (but no D-Bronzi).

Spoiler
Consonant.jpg

I use A-Passioni twice a week right now. I use it in the night. Next morning I use my usual morning mix (no D-Bronzi). Using TLC after 2 night of using A-Passioni but using the “CONSONANT HydrExtreme Hydration Booster” every morning and night along with DE products and my skin is well hydrated, bright and supple.

I trust Drunk Elephant & Tiffany so much and am sure I can make this work to reap the benefits. I would be all ears if @DrunkElephant  or @TeamBIC  have any additional tips so as to why D-Bronzi hurts or even Umbra hurt or additional tips for increasing hydration since just the DE hydrators & moisturizers were enough until I started on this Retinol A-Passioni but now those are not quite enough and my skin feels tight and pulling. Maybe I should forego the Consonant once or twice and see how it goes but I am worried about getting back to red, painful, peeling state.  

Current Routine -

Spoiler

Sun Night - A passioni + usual night combo

Mon Morning - Usual morning combo

Mon Night - usual night combo

Tue Morning - Usual morning combo

Tue Night - usual night combo with TLC

Wed Morning - Usual morning combo

Wed Night - usual night combo

Thur Morning - Usual morning combo

Thur Night - A passioni + usual night combo

Fri Morning - Usual morning combo

Fri Night - usual night combo

Sat Morning - Usual Morning Combo

Sat Night - usual night combo

Sun Morning - Usual Morning Combo

Spoiler

2/10 Sun  Morning : A-Passioni +morning combo with Consonant

2/10 Sun Night : Night combo with Consonant layer first

2/11 Mon Morning : Morning Combo with Consonant (no D-Bronzi)

2/11 Mon Evening : Night Combo with TLC, with Consonant layer first

2/12 Tue morning : Morning Combo with Consonant Layer (no D-Bronzi)

2/12 Tue Night      : Night Combo with Consonant layer first

2/13 Wed Morning : Morning Combo with Consonant Layer (no D-Bronzi)

2/13 Wed Night    : A Passioni with night combo (Consonant 3 drops +B-Hydra Layer then Retinol mixed with other moisturizers and oil)

2/ 14 Thur Morning : Glowy skin, Morning combo with consonant mixed in 

2/14   Thur Night     : Night combo+Consonant

2/15    Fri Morning  : Morning combo+Consonant

2/ 15   Fri Night       : Night combo+Consonant

2/16    Sat Morning  : Morning Combo

Continued the routine as mentioned above and used babyfacial successfully (mixed marula in it to soften the impact a bit).

Next step it to get rid of the rest days and see how my skin does. 

I will update this as I learn more or get more tolerant to Retinols. This is just my opinion and my skin’s reaction, YMMV but hope this helps because usual DE tips did not help me and what I read. Looks like my skin needs a lot more hydration with using Retinols than my previous DE routine was providing (which was wonderful until I started using this new Retinol).

Re: Detailed Review - A-Passioni - Retinol from Drunk Elephant

Thank you so much for this very detailed review and the pics @naturalooks15 ! I'd like to try retinols but have really been afraid of them.

@pocketvenus DRUNK ELEPHANT - A-Passioni™ Retinol Cream is very gentle . All you need to do it up your hydration and start very slow. i would suggest get 2-3 sample sache from Sephora if you can and try once a week.

if you have budget, I would highly recommend getting Consonant Hydra-Extreme ( Costco has it at great price) because after I started using that, I had zero issues. It has only two ingredients so there is no risk of clash also.

I think i had issues because I have dry skin and I started to use it in the dead of winters, Jan just when snow started here 😀 talk about bad timing.

i would’ve happy to answer any questions anytime.

@naturalooks15, thank you! ❤️ I was actually just thinking that it would probably be better for me to wait until the summer because the winters in Toronto + super dry offices can make it challenging to stay hydrated as it is

@pocketvenus If you are hesitant to try retinols, I rec FIRST AID BEAUTY - FAB Skin Lab Retinol Serum 0.25% Pure Concentrate

The concentration is great for beginners.  🙂  

@greeneyedgirl107thank you for the suggestion!!

Wanted to update that I chickened out and did not use the babyfacial. I am just going to be very gentle with my skin 🙂 

I did however use the retinol again on Sun night so it's about at 4 days gap and again.. wonderful glowy skin. One notable thing... a stubborn white head (not sure if it was really whitehead and was not going away with even BHAs) just popped out.  I think someone mentioned below that her stubborn blackhead came out, and I had the same experience.

Other stubborn white raised things (or whiteheads maybe) are melting now !! YAY !!

Thank you for the consistent updates @naturalooks15. I am at the sheet mask stage of prepping for the DE (been masking for almost an hour now). Just realized this morning after masking I need to dermaplane to will do that in the A.M. as last time I used the DE I didn’t notice any adverse effects.

So looks like my skin has build up the stamina for Retinol now. Still glowing healthy skin and no more redness and peeling. Though I am too scared to cutout the Consonant extreme hydration from the routine and had to order a new bottle (last one finished too quickly with me laying tons of it).

I will update the original post with few other Do & Don'ts. 

I am still keeping 1 rest night between use of Passioni & TLC. Not brave enough to do it right next to each other.  I also haven;t used babyfacial at all since I started A-Passioni. Maybe will try that tonight and report back. 

here is a pic of bare skin (just my DE C Firma and moisturizers. No Umbra, no makeup.466ACF5E-7D1C-448C-9E65-E8DF572C7736.jpeg

@naturalooks15, thank you for sharing your trials and errors, and detailed thoughts! 

Yay !! No more red/ peeling skin for last 1+ week. Just bright and glowing skin. ❤️❤️

Tonight is Retinol night again. Last I used it was Sun morning so this is about 3.5 days gap since last retinol use and last TLC use was on Mon night. Y’day night was rest night (like muscle recovery time after heavy workout) for my skin 😀

not sure if I mentioned but I am able to use the Vit C in mornings now without any problem. Still NOT mixing the two (C & Retinol).

will post a pic tomorrow hopefully

@naturalooks15   That's great news!  It's funny how all of our skin is different.  I have tried many vitamin c products and they just irritate my skin, even if I don't use any glycolic or retinol products.

"If you are new to Retinoids/ Retinols - Do NOT use it with C-Firma (Any Vitamin C) or TLC Framboos (or any Glycolic Acid) for the first month."

^THIS.

I use a less glamorous version of retinol (tretinoin, as prescribed by my GP), and I've been using it very inconsistently because my skin just hasn't gotten used to it yet. I actually started using DE products just to combat the dryness and irritation of the tretinoin, and it has helped quite a bit (especially the Protini). Because of my success with the Protini, I bought the DE The Littles kit and I've just been playing around with the different serums and, let me tell you, I made the mistake of using tretinoin after the Vitamin C serum last night and I've honestly never had such a bad breakout... I've always had pretty good skin, but this is probably the worst it's ever been. So, I wish I would've found this post last night instead! Oh well, could've been worse... it could've been the TLC Glycolic Framboos instead.

Thanks for your input @abrakadabadia 

This was super interesting @naturalooks15 ! I’ve been using the a-passioni for about 5-6 weeks now and am very happy with it. I still feel like that’s too early for me to give a definitive review but so far I like everything except the packaging (I HATE the tube!). The best result I’ve had so far is that I had a deep, deep blackhead for at least over a year that I couldn’t get rid of. None of my products make any headway and my extractions tools couldn’t get it to budge. After about four weeks of the a-passioni the blackhead FINALLY just...pushed itself up and out. It was incredible. I honestly thought that thing was going to be a lifer!

@starsandbucks  I had the same experience two days ago. A white raised thing (not sure if it was a whitehead) that wasn't going away with BHA 2%, BabyFacial or anything else, just popped and is gone !! 

That’s great to hear @starsandbucks  that you had such a success with getting rid of that stubborn blackhead. I am updating my usage and results as I go along. It’s getting better.

This was so interesting, thanks! Sadly DE products do not work for me but I hope this helps those who do enjoy and/or want to use DE! I love the product texture photos!

Thanks @sabrinas 

If I may ask and you are ok to share, why did DE products not work for you? 

I understand not everything works for everyone. I would also love to learn what products work for you.

@naturalooks15  Of course! So I bought most of DE’s products about 2 years ago and tried them for about 2 months before I realized that they just were no good for me.  I kept getting very large cystic zits on my cheeks and forehead every week. I tried removing products to try and test what was causing it but regardless of what I did, it seemed all DE products were causing it.

I have found success with Sunday Riley and Tatcha products. Also I have noticed I get tons of micro zits and red bumps all over my face when I use hylauranic acid (at least I think it’s been that). Heres some photos of the reaction I had two days ago from a hylauraunic sheet mask :(.04DBEA8D-3ABB-4BB7-8AC8-7D3DF2131DED.jpeg

BF997197-9FFD-4B8C-A354-13932B3A4EB6.jpeg

Those do look like adverse reaction @sabrinas  that will worry me enough to steer clear of any products I even suspected causing those. Glad you were able to find other products that worked for you. 

I switched it up a bit as I had to travel this Thur for an imp meeting and didn't want to risk red face. 

2/10 Sun  Morning : A-Passioni +morning combo with Consonant

2/10 Sun Night : Night combo with Consonant

2/11 Mon Morning : Morning Combo with Consonant (no D-Bronzi)

2/11 Mon Evening : Night Combo with TLC, with Consonant

2/12 Mon morning - Woke up with bright soft skin. Let's see if any redness, burning peeling comes later today or tomorrow because in the past it has happened 2 days later.. I don't anticipate it since I am using the ExtremeHydra Consonant both morning and evening as first layer. 

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
Photos10
  • RetinolSkin1.jpg
  • RetinolSkin2.jpg
  • RetinolSkin3.jpg
  • DE Routine.jpg
  • DE Color Texture.jpg
  • Consonant.jpg
  • 04DBEA8D-3ABB-4BB7-8AC8-7D3DF2131DED.jpeg
  • BF997197-9FFD-4B8C-A354-13932B3A4EB6.jpeg
  • 466ACF5E-7D1C-448C-9E65-E8DF572C7736.jpeg