Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware

Dehydrated Skin

I live in a super dry desert-like climate in Colorado and I have dehydrated, sensitive, acne prone skin. I break out along my jaw and my skin gets oily so quick but it feels so tight all the time. Any recommendations for products to help with dehydration? Hyaluronic acid does not work since it draws in moisture from the surroundings. There is no moisture here, not even in the summer. And I break out along my jawline and I don't want any products that will make that worse. I have the most complicated skin ever.

Re: Dehydrated Skin

@ASelleny I live in AZ so I feel you on the dehydration. I highly recommend using an essence or a toner under a hydrating serum and moisturizer. First Aid Beauty makes some really awesome products that don't feel too heavy on the skin. They usually have sets during the holidays so you could try one of those and give a variety of their products a shot. Hyaluronic acid in something like a serum needs to be topped off with a moisturizer with good occlusives so that it seals the moisture in. Breaking out along your jaw line is usually more hormone related so that would be something to discuss with a dermatologist I think. Your skin might be overproducing oil because it's dehydrated so treating the dehydration might help balance out the oiliness. 

First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair® Hydrating Serum- super lightweight, feels like water on your skin

First Aid Beauty Pure Skin Face Cleanser 5 oz/ 150 mL- i like it because it doesn't make my skin feel dryer. I also think Cerave Hydrating Face Cleanser is really good.

First Aid Beauty Hydrating Toner with Squalane + Oats 6 oz/ 177 mL- I haven't tried this yet but has a nice ingredient list and is alcohol-free.

First Aid Beauty Ultra Repair® Cream Intense Hydration 6 oz/ 170 g- you can use this cream on your face or on your body, it's wonderful.

FIRST AID BEAUTY - Fablantis- this is a good value if you want to try a bunch of their products.

Some other recommendations

LANEIGE - Cream Skin Toner & Moisturizer- I haven't tried this either but I like the ingredient list and from the reviews it sounds awesome.

VOLITION BEAUTY - Celery Green Cream with Hyaluronic Acid + Peptides- I didn't find this cream to be hydrating enough for me since I'm more normal to dry but if you're on the oilier side I feel like you would really like this. It is very lightweight and absorbs quickly, perfect for under makeup.

Re: Dehydrated Skin

I grew up in CO but live in New England now. When I visit, I use an oil cleanse first, then use a mildly foaming-ish soap with not too high a pH (I still have an oilier t zone, but mostly normal acne prone skin). Too Cool For school egg mousse soap worked well for me. I then use a hydrating toner (Mamonde Rose Water), Follow with CosRx Galactomyces essence, an AHA/BHA serum or script retinoid (at night)/VitC during the day, then give my face a spritz with my toner, follow up with a facial oil, and a moisturizer. I used Biossance 100% squalane oil and Drunk Elephant Lala Retro last winter; I put my spf on top of that during the day. It held my skin in stasis and I didn't break out, nor did I feel like I was crazy dry. I stay in the foothills, not the mountains or valley, so that may make a difference? You might need to up your moisture between steps and really lock it in.

I think you can still use an essence or serum with hyaluronic acid, but make sure you have a damp face when you put your face oil/moisturizer. it'll help the moisture on your face get "held in" and the HA will go for that, instead of sucking water from your face.

Do you mind sharing with us what you are currently using? And what hasn't helped? That might help people recommend specific products, too. @ASelleny 

Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing