Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Dark spot

Any recommendations for stubborn dark spots?  Been using versed dark spot and Clinique dark spot corrector and it’s been 4 months and nothing have changed much 

Tags:

Re: Dark spot

For me, the Good Molecules Discoloration Correcting Serum really helped my skin over time (plus it's pretty cheap). The Topicals Faded cream is great even though it has a weird smell to it. Exfoliating serums with AHAs are also great!! I've heard that retinol can also work for dark spots!

Same

Dark spots can extremely difficult to fade and it varies on the amount of time it takes to fade dark spots and the nature of the dark spot . We need to keep in mind some dark spots took years to come into fruition, because of that it requires a lot more TLC. I always tell my clients( I work in beauty ) to seek a dermatologist and see what they say first. Now most products can take up to six months to a year to see any type of improvement. Which is why I tell my clients to seek out a dermatologist before starting any type of routine, because I would hate for them to spend unnecessary money. On an

item that in the long run will do very little to nothing for them and also keep in my mind consistency and following that routine day and day out is where you’ll notice results. @dermalogica has great products as well as@sundayriley

@MartD  Hmm, I looked up the Versed Out of Sight Dark Spot Gel (assuming that's the product you use) and its main brightening ingredients are kojic acid, niacinamide, and licorice root. Also includes tranexamic acid which might also help hyperpigmentation. But kojic acid's definitely a goodie. Maybe you need to add a few more effective ingredients to your routine. 

Do you currently use sunscreen (at least SPF 30) each day your skin's exposed to sunlight, regardless of weather or season? If yes: fantastic! If no: there's no point using any dark spot product if you don't also stop the sun from causing more dark spots. 🙂 

Here's what's been gradually fading my dark spots and other hyperpigmentation. What works for me might not work for you, depending on your particular skin type/behavior and the cause of your hyperpigmentation. 

Spoiler
Azelaic acid - An acne and hyperpigmentation fighter that's especially helpful for my PIH (post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation, such as dark marks left by acne). Can be used as a spot treatment or applied to the whole face, and is safe to use daily or even twice daily. Can cause itchiness within the first month of use on sensitive skin. My favorite OTC product is Paula's Choice 10% Azelaic Acid Booster 1 oz/ 30 mL which contains 10% azelaic acid + 0.5% BHA. But you can get a 15-20% Rx for azelaic acid from a dermatologist or primary care doctor. At some point, I might switch to an Rx product. 

Alpha arbutin and bearberry (uva-ursi) extract - Bearberry is a natural source of arbutin. I sometimes use The Ordinary Alpha Arbutin 2% + HA Hyperpigmentation Serum in the morning, but this ingredient's also in Hyper Skin Brightening Dark Spot Vitamin C Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL which I also use. 

Kojic acid - This is also in the Hyper Skin Brightening serum. There's a kojic acid derivative in Topicals Faded Serum for Dark Spots & Discoloration 1.7 oz/ 50 mL ; I have a sample of Faded but still haven't tried it, so I can't comment on it from personal experience. But it contains several other brighteners and hyperpigmentation fighters like alpha arbutin, azelaic acid, niacinamide, and licorice root. Also contains tranexamic acid which theoretically works when applied topically... eh, it's more studied as an effective oral medication for hyperpigmentation. 

Vitamin A (the retinoid family) - More for full face treatment than spot-treating, this category includes Rx tretinoin (retinoic acid) and other retinoids, as well as OTC retinaldehyde, retinol, and adapalene (a retinoid that's available both OTC and Rx). I currently use Avene RetriinAL 0.1 Intensive Cream (0.1% retinaldehyde) nightly to treat large areas of hyperpigmentation. Retinaldehyde's not nearly as common in OTC products as retinol, but both ingredients are effective. They just work slower than tretinoin: retinol is the slowest of the 3, followed by retinaldehyde, followed by tretinoin which is basically retinoic acid. Anything in the vitamin A family should be introduced very slowly—just once or twice a week for a few weeks—and you can gradually increase usage until you're at a comfy-for-you frequency. You might not need to go the vitamin A route if you're just trying to fade a few dark spots. But if you have larger areas of hyperpigmentation and/or you want the additional anti-aging benefits of vitamin A, it's something to consider. 

Two other options, depending on your skin tone, are laser therapy and IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) therapy. These treatments should be done by a board certified dermatologist, so you'll need to talk with a derm or your primary care doc for more info. 

Yes I am using verse and using shiseido sunscreen 50+ I just purchase topical can’t wait to use it. 

@MartD   What kind of spots are you trying to fade?  Sun damage or freckles, sun spots or post acne hyperpigmentation and or scarring?  

It’s post acne hyperpigmentation and scarring 

Conversation Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 6 Contributors
testing