Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Daily Skincare - what are you using?

Often people ask for recommendations on a skincare routine or for specific products/combinations.  This might be a place to share your everyday skincare, both AM and PM.  A skincare "what are you wearing" as it were.  Hope this is useful.

*Age - 40

Skin type - oily/combination

Current skin condition - quite dehydrated (winter/indoor heating)*

01/17/16 - AM skincare in the order I used

1. Nude Jelly cleanser (love)

2. Pixi Glow tonic (5% glycolic toner - love)

3. Omorovicza Queen of Hungary Spritz (sample)

4. Radical Skincare Youth Infusion serum - hydrating and anti-ageing (new to me.  Testing)

5. Bobbi Brown Hydrating Eye Cream (like)

6. Elemis Pro-Collagen Marine cream (really like as an AM moisturizer)

I will try to post PM skincare tonight so the post can be comprehensive.

General comments - Okay skin.  Apparently the age between 38-42 is a transformational time in hormones (dehydrated skin/spots), so I am more aware of how my skin performs/reacts .  My skincare definitely has more "actives" now than before.

Re: Daily Skincare - what are you using?

@Anonymous I'm so glad I asked! I was so focused on trying the Timeless as well as using up my Truth Serum that I forgot you can't use retinol and vitamin C together. I think I'll shelve the OH for a bit and use the Timeless serum every morning now since I use retinol at night.

(I've only had it for a little while and tbh I tend to forget about it sometimes since I store it in the fridge. As soon as I use it for a week or two consistently, I'll post again. I hope I love it as much as you do! Thanks again for mentioning it!)

@Anonymous Every morning I sing your praises as I head to my refrigerator to put it on my face haha 😄  Seriously....within a couple of days my skin became so soft I couldn't stop touching my forehead.  I don't think my skin has ever been this soft! And my skin looks brighter and a bit more even.  Plus the texture is perfect for me - no more dealing with heavy or sticky serums. I'm so glad you told me about this it! Thank you!

Anonymous Insider

@kso1225

Sweet! So glad you're liking it. I was impressed the first week and using it daily for a few months I couldn't believe what it did for the sun spots I had on my cheeks. I really think it was a game changer product for me in my morning routine. Like my glow and brightness was actually my skin not the product sitting on my skin. 

Ooooh - what is this Timeless serum? Apparently Sephora doesn't sell it!

@Libellules Dali recommended it to me when I wasn't seeing significant results with my current Vitamin C. She says it's comparable to Skinceuticals, but much cheaper ($24.95, free shipping to the US, and there are $5 coupons online).  If you search for "timeless vitamin C" it should be one of the first results. Amazon has it but I would recommend buying direct from Timeless since it has a short shelf life. They ship pretty fast too.  The serum has 20% vitamin C plus E and ferulic acid. I'm keeping mine in the refrigerator since it extends the shelf life, and that's what dali recommended too.  I've been using it for less than a month but within the first few days I noticed a difference in my skin being much smoother and softer and I hadn't changed anything else in my routine at that point.  My skin looks a bit brighter already, but I'm hoping after a few months it'll fade my sun spots.  It's close to water in texture, but slides smoothly across your skin.  You can feel it for a few minutes, but then it sinks in. Not like some others that remain tacky or heavy feeling like silicone.

I couldn't justify paying the Skinceuticals price for something that goes bad in a few months, but $25 ($20 with a coupon) is much better for my budget.  

Thanks so much @kso1225! I'll have to try it - I'm intrigued 😄

Hello! It sounds like we have similar skin (except that mine loves oils).  I am also 28.  About a month and a half ago I was having issues with blemishes too. I've added three things to my routine, and I really feel like they have made a world of difference.

Peter Thomas Roth Un-Wrinkle Pads - I really love these.  I also used to use PC 2% BHA, and I decided to switch to these. I feel like my skin is more radiant and clearer.  The instructions say to leave it on for 2 minutes.  I sometimes leave it on for longer.  On busy mornings I will just brush my teeth while I have it on and then rinse.  On mornings when I have more time, I will make tea and drink that while it's on and then rinse afterward.

Kate Somerville Anti-Bac Lotion - this stuff is so good! I have normal to dry skin (dry right now because of winter), and this does dry my skin out a little bit.  It's easy to remedy though if you use a good moisturizer.  I use this every single night only through my T zone.  I had some small bumps on my forehead and breakouts on my chin.  This has made such a world of difference!

Paula's Choice 10% AHA Weekly Resurfacing Treatement - I've had this for a while, and it's good.  I use it once or twice a week, typically at night.  It does sting a little bit, but that goes away quickly. I leave it on overnight.  My face looks so radiant and clear the next morning. If I can feel a bump starting or have congested pores, I will use this and it really helps those issues.

Hope this helps!

Hopefully someone can help me out here. I really really need to focus on skincare. I got the Foreo Luna Play to play with. I'm an extremly lazy person and generally just use a facial cleansing wipe every day/nightish. And a mask every once in a while. I have dry skin on the outer parts of my face, down my jawline. But everything else is super oily, I also have huge pores that get clogged up constantly. I probably exfoliate maybe once or twice a month...cause like I said I'm lazy. Very acne prone. What are the products steps that I should be doing? Also, I was thinking of trying one line of product in the morning and a different brand at night. Do you vary the steps based on the time of day? And if so, will it effect it if my work schedule is rotating? My days and nights get mixed around constantly? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

@Samtian

Hi Sam!

A basic skincare routine will go a really long way in helping your skin feel and look better.  It really doesn't have to be complicated, and won't take much time.  But make sure you commit to 10 minutes at night, and perhaps 5 minutes in the morning.  You owe yourself that  It is a gift to yourself.  

AM skincare:

1. Cleanse - Apply cleanser to dry face and massage it in.  Wash off with water propery, or use a hot washcloth.  

- Ren Evercalm cleansing Milk:  Excellent for sensitive skin

- NUDE Omega Jelly:  Gentle gel that turns to oil.

2. Hydrating toner - spritz a toner all over your face.  This will be your first step in boosting skin hydration

- Pixi Hydrating Milky Mist (Target)

3.  Moisturizer - while your skin is still damp from the spritz, apply a moisturizer.  Your skin seems oily and dehydrated which is not unusual at all in this weather.  I am oily and dehydrated as well.

- Ren Vita Mineral Daily Suplement Moisturizing cream (you can experiment with this line).  

Take the moisturizer around the eyes as well, unless yo want to use a dedicated eye cream.  You seem young enough that it doesn't matter.

PM Skincare:

1. Cleanse off makeup first.  

If you are wearing very little makeup, then you can do a single cleansing step with a balm.  Otherwise use a balm/oil first to remove makeup, then use a regular cleanser.

1st cleanse - balm or oil (Tata Harper, NUDE oil etc)

2nd cleanse - NUDE Omega Jelly or Ren

Keep the makeup wipe for emergencies only.

2. Acid tone - I highly recommend using an acid exfoliator 3 times a week at night.  

- FAB Radiance pads

- NIP+FAB Extreme Glycolic pads (Target)

These are really good starters.  I still use them.

3. Hydrating Spritz - Pixi Milky mist

4. Moisturizer - Ren or Caudalie lines are good to start with.  Take moisturizer around eyes.

This really is the basic skincare - Cleanse, acid tone, moisturize.

Once you have this routine down a few weeks, you could adjust by adding other items or trying another product.  But it is important to get a routine down first, and keep at it a few weeks to see improvement.

@greenchilli Thank you, that is very helpful! I'll give it a try.

I'd also recommend Thayer's Witch Hazel toner! Just 10 dollars! I started using it a couple weeks ago and my pores have definitely improved (I always have large, clogged pores).

You should also exfoliate once or twice a week!

Ola!

I was traveling this weekend and just got home to a bunch of new skincare things.  Santa, is this Christmas?  

PM skincare 11/27/16

1. Cleanse - Emma Hardie cleansing balm

2. Acid Tone - Alpha H Liquid Gold:  Using this for the first time.  It definitely packs a punch, although the glycolic level is fairly low (supposed to be 5%, same as Pixi Glow tonic).  Ages ago I had talked to a stocker (who consulted with the brand) about it and she said that the strength was similiar, but the AH was in a more potent conveyor (I can't seem to do words tonight.  YKWIM).

3. Hydrating spritz - Caudalie Grape water.  (I used Pixi Hydrating mily mist while I was traveling.  I think I like that even more).

4.  May Lindstrom Blue Cocoon - applied to damp skin.  BC will save my skin if my face doesn't like Alpha H much.

5. DDG Ferulic +Retinol eye cream

6. Aurelia Cell Recovery Night oil - I love you Aurelia.

Spoiler
If my face falls off by morning, please avenge my death!  Please and thank you.

oh my god LOVE the Emma Hardie cleansing balm! It's so luxurious

I want to get the Blue Cocoon. I need to finish at least one of my current products!! >>Double packing Ole Henrikssen moisturizing as I type lol

41.  Stressed skin from week long shenanigans.

I have been traveling cross country past few days, and had a very basic skincare routine.  I even used quick wipes a couple of times to freshen up.  Good thing, I didn't wear makeup and saved my skin from that onslaught.  I ended it all with a red-eye home.

Diet, sleep, and skincare have been a bit off.  Just getting back into routine today.

PM Skincare:

1. Cleanse - Tata Harper Nourishing oil Cleanser

2. DDG Retinol Recover pads

3. January Labs spritz

4. DDG Ferulic+Retinol eye cream

5. Aurelia Cell Recovery Night oil (have I said how perfect this is?)

November 18 PM

27, Combo skin, some scarring, no breakouts, no makeup day

Kate Somerville Goat Milk Cleanser

FAB oatmeal mask

Caudalie premier cru eye cream

Clinique Moisture Surge

11/18 AM

Philosophy Made Simple

Caudalie Beauty Elixir Spray

Ole Henriksen Truth Serum Collagen Booster

Clinique Moisture Surge moisturizer

Caudalie Premiere Cru eye cream

Cerave' Healing Ointment (for lips)

PM 

Double Cleanse- Eve Lom then Murad AHA/BHA Exfoliating Cleanser

Caudalie Beauty Elixir Spray

BioEffect EGF Serum

Ole Henriksen Sheer Transformation

Caudalie Premier Cru eye cream

Cerave' Healing Ointment (lips)

Ahava Mineral Hand Cream

In the morning

1. Wash face with just plain old water

2. Soap & Glory Fab Pore Moisture Lotion 

In the evening

1. Tarte Rainforest of the Sea Deep Dive Cleansing Gel

2. Lush Breath of Fresh Air Toner Water

3. Nivea Rich Moisturizing Day Care (kinda funny that I use it at night and not in the morning LOL) 

What do you think of the concept of sleeping with your head and torso higher than the rest of your body? I just saw youtube videos where people with moderate under eye bags and puffy eyes completely solved the issue and look much better after switching to this way of sleeping. I tried a wedge pillow but it was too hard, now I'm using a lot of pillows to keep my head and torso slightly elevated. I've seen no changes so far. 

@YoiFran

How to look rested with diminished undereye bags - get a restful night' sleep.  The way you want to.

How to have dark circles and bags under your eyes - do midnight gymnastics.

Youtube - just say no.

thank you Greenchili!!! 

2,407 Replies
testing