Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Daily Skincare - what are you using?

Often people ask for recommendations on a skincare routine or for specific products/combinations.  This might be a place to share your everyday skincare, both AM and PM.  A skincare "what are you wearing" as it were.  Hope this is useful.

*Age - 40

Skin type - oily/combination

Current skin condition - quite dehydrated (winter/indoor heating)*

01/17/16 - AM skincare in the order I used

1. Nude Jelly cleanser (love)

2. Pixi Glow tonic (5% glycolic toner - love)

3. Omorovicza Queen of Hungary Spritz (sample)

4. Radical Skincare Youth Infusion serum - hydrating and anti-ageing (new to me.  Testing)

5. Bobbi Brown Hydrating Eye Cream (like)

6. Elemis Pro-Collagen Marine cream (really like as an AM moisturizer)

I will try to post PM skincare tonight so the post can be comprehensive.

General comments - Okay skin.  Apparently the age between 38-42 is a transformational time in hormones (dehydrated skin/spots), so I am more aware of how my skin performs/reacts .  My skincare definitely has more "actives" now than before.

Re: Daily Skincare - what are you using?

@mrsbaine  @Sprytely  You ladies have made me curious on the Uma oil. Where would you recommend me to purchase it from? The price tag is kind of high and I want to maximize benefits (coupons and discounts, GWP).

I started with samples from detoxmarket. 

@minivan100  Thank you!!! 

@KatieJiang this thread convinced me to get my first Uma oil recently as well.  I bought mine on Cultbeauty when they recently had their birthday promo.  Through this weekend I think SpaceNK currently has the best discount with $50 off $250 purchase.

bump!

Good evening!

PM SKincare - 07/06/17

Age - 42 yrs

Skin - Looks 41.5 yrs.  Winning.

20170706_PM (Large).jpg

1. Emma Hardie Cleansing balm

2. January Labs Exfoliating Peel - this is nice enough.  I am not sure yet if I will repurchase when I finish this.  Will see.  

3. Indie Lee CoQ toner

4. Uma Clarifying Oil - I am getting hormonal.  Or maybe people are just trying to tick me off.  No matter, Uma will keep it all at bay.

5. Uma eye oil

6. Aurelia Cell Repair Night Oil - I often layer with Aurelia, I love it so.  

I have jumped on your Uma bandwagon. I have no regrets.

@mrsbaine Clarifying oil. Was shocked it works and doesn't stress out my sensitive skin! 

Sprytely wrote:

I have jumped on your Uma bandwagon. I have no regrets.

Oh yay!!!! I love enabling @Sprytely! What did you get? 

Longtime reader who is finally joining the party. My skin is typically well-behaved, so my skincare routine has historically been described as "I like to keep it guessing". Throw a bunch of stuff on it, it's happy.

This summer, it has all changed. I don't know if it's allergies, emotional stress, aging, or hot weather, but everything feels off. While now there's always a small pimple or two on my face, my chest is a constant minefield of acne. Big bumps, little bumps, puss-filled bumps, red bumps, bumps that are just like skin but bumps ... they are all partying down there. Ive tried so many acne solutions, and none seem to completely take care of things. I started taking an anti-histimine for allergies, and that seems to help a little, but not completely. My face seems to lack the radiance and smoothness that it had even three months ago.

Skin type:  normal, but currently angry

Current skin condition:  ch-ch-ch-ch-changes (full story above)

From yesterday ....

AM Face

Skincare_2017_July_06_AM_face.jpg

Spoiler
Caudalie Instant Foaming Cleanser. I love it. It's so gentle and fresh, and my skin feels great afterwords.

Caudalie Vinoperfect Concentrated Brightening Essence. Seems nice, but I wonder how it differs from other Glycolic products (Mario Badescu Glycolic Acid Toner and Pixi Glow Tonic).

Caudalie Beauty Elixir:  Seems Nice. IDK ...

Guerlain Abeille Royale Face Oil:  A long-time favorite of mine. It just seems to work for me.

Fresh Rose Brightening Eye Gel Cream:  I'm in the market for a light-weight eye cream for mornings. I can't deal with heavy creams in the morning, especially when I wear makeup. So far, this seems really good. Sadly, the sample is not big enough to get a full feel for whether or not I like it for long-term.

Fresh Black Tea Age Delay Cream:  Seems nice, but is a little too heavy for my daytime preferences.

AM Chest

Skincare_2017_July_06_AM_chest.jpg

Spoiler
Arcona Clarifying Bar, Tabula Rasa, and AM Blemish Lotion.

I'm trying out their acne solutions trial kit. They seem to work at first, but 12 hours later, my chest acne comes back strong.

PM Face

Skincare_2017_July_06_PM_face.jpg

Spoiler
Tatcha camellia cleansing oil:  It's ok. It doesn't seem any better at removing eye makeup than my standard coconut oil, and my vision is a little cloudy afterwords. I won't be buying.

Fresh Soy Face Cleanser:  This stuff works for me, and is my preferred cleanser when I wear makeup.

Herbivore Blue Tansy:  New to me. I bought it yesterday as part of my battle with chest acne (I tried a sample provided in-store by Sephora, and it showed promise. I went back yesterday to try). I used it on face and chest last night because, why not.

Mario Badescu Glycolic Acid Toner:  I think I like the Caudelie brightening essence better. I have no idea if this is an actual product difference (both are Glycolic Acid), or if it is purely scent-based. The Caudelie leaves my skin feeling really great. This one seems nice, but not as nice as Caudelie.

Guerlain Abeille Royale Repair Serum and Face Oil:  Both are long-time staples. My skin loves them.

Clarins Super Restorative Night Cream:  Meh. I'm using it up, but won't repurchase. It's heavier than I prefer, but seems otherwise ok. There's probably something better out there for me.

Guerlain Abeille Royale Eye Cream:  I like it. Not too heavy, but does the job.

Lush The Kiss (lip scrub), Fresh Lip Serum, and Fresh advance therapy balm are staples to keep my lips in good shape.

PM Chest

Skincare_2017_July_06_PM_chest.jpg

Spoiler
Arcona Cranberry Clarifying Bar:  Gets the party started

Herbivore Blue Tansy Mask:  Ok, this stuff might be working. I woke up this morning, and my chest acne is greatly diminished. Directions say to use this every night for 3-4 nights to tackle acne ... will keep it up.

Tatcha Balanced pore perfecting water gel:  I wanted a light moisturizer to give my skin a little southing after the Blue Tansy mask/peel, but didn't want it to be too heavy/congesting. Gave it a try; it seemed to accomplish this goal.

Do you do a good double cleanse if you are wearing sunscreen? Well - I do one every night - but especially after sunscreen and makeup days. First cleanse with an oil based cleanser that will cut through the spf and start to dissolve it - then a second cleanse with a balm or a gel cleanser to really get your face clean after all the gunk is removed with the oil based cleanser.

Love all the detail - thank you! On another note I'm never going to get that Changes song out of my head now lol

Welcome @SheWhoSkis! I picked up the blue tansy mask a little while ago, and so far I like it a lot. I don't know if you've tried this, but when I was dealing with breakouts on my face like you describe on your chest, a charcoal mask was incredibly helpful. I like the Origins one - it seemed to prep the surface for the next steps of treatment. 

I like all your mini reviews, I always find that stuff so interesting!

Thank you, @fairlywell. The battle with chest acne continues. It almost got better, but now it's back with a vengeance (hormone is catalyst). I will check out that Origins mask! 

AM, still in fix-it mode and very colorful. 

IMG_0367.JPG

Recently I've been into doubling on masks, especially if I'm trying to deal with texture or congestion. My skin tolerates a drying mask much better if I follow it with something soothing/plumping. In this case the honey potion probably wasn't truly necessary, but it felt nice!

@fairlywell do you think you've figured out what was causing the congestion ? 

@jemly I knew before it happened! Four days of waterproof sunscreen. 😝 Tradeoffs though - no sunburn and very little color on my face. I'd rather deal with some rough texture for a few days than sun spots. 

My daily sunscreen is not water or sweat resistant (Biore), and I have no trouble with it. Every single "sport" version gives me grief though. This time it was Laroche Posay Kids. Which worked well! I maybe should have been doing something different/more intense after cleansing at night. Any recommendations? Sunscreen or skincare?

i have this issue with sunscreen too. best thing i can advise is just to really really make sure you do a thorough cleanse when you take it off. like, maybe even 3 times with one of your super gentle balm cleansers ? 

i used the laroche posay anthelios spf 50 physical version last time i was at a beach thing, and i didn't get clogged. may have been luck, may have been a mix of the physical + extra conscientious cleansing....

I think you're right, the problem is definitely in getting all the sunscreen out of my skin. Good to know about the LRP 50! 

In hindsight I wish I had not been so set on using up the Banila balm and the convenience of the stick cleanser. TTDO plus one of my clay cleansers probably would have done a better job. Or maybe if I had been less lazy and done a hot cloth cleanse! 

It's so much easier to just wear a hat. And a turtleneck. 

I am just back from a few sunscreen-caked days at a lake, ready to spend the evening masking and doing laundry.

I took just a few products with me - Banila balm cleanser, SUM:37 Rose stick cleanser, Aurelia night oil, Dr Jart Ceramidin cream, sunscreen. All good known quantities for me, but I'm still coming home with slightly congested and irritated skin. What I didn't bring: any acids, retinols, serums, masks. I think I've proved that those things make a difference for me. 

Anyway, tonight's big plan! The goal here is to clean up and calm down. Acids and retinol another day. 

IMG_0365.JPG

-Evolve Gentle Cleansing Melt

-Marble & Milkweed rose & chamomile honey clay cleanser

-May Lindstrom Problem Solver mask (sample)

-May Lindstrom Honey Mud as a mask

-ML Jasmine Garden spritz (sample) (the smell isn't my favorite, YMMV)

-Vintner's Daughter

-ML Blue Cocoon

- 🍷 😴 

IMG_0366.JPG

Open jars! From the left, Evolve Cleansing Melt, Marble & Milkweed honey clay cleanser, ML Honey Mud, and not that the world needs one more pic but that Blue Cocoon sure is pretty. 

Notes on my newbies: the Evolve is a goopy, almost jelly texture. As a first cleanse I like it a lot. It leaves a slight residue, so I wouldn't use it as an only cleanse. The M&M honey clay is yummy. Silky texture, great smell. Not in any way a dupe of ML Honey Mud, they are very different products. I do wish it were in a squeeze tube rather than a tub. 

I have no intention of using the ML Honey Mud as a cleanser, for me it's a soothing/hydrating mask and I like it very much in that capacity. I do not think it's a must-have, but it's a product I enjoy using. In my current stage of life, "brings me joy" is a totally valid reason to use any product.

Happy July 4th everyone in the States!  And a happy Tuesday to everyone everywhere!

AM skincare - some new products.

Age 42

Skin - fighting crime daily

20170704_AM skincare (Large).jpg

1. Tata Harper Refreshing cleaner - my favourite TH cleanser

2. January Labs Daily Brightening toner - new product.  It is lactic acid based, so it will feel a bit more hydrating than a glycolic.  It is gentler than a Biologique P50, but stronger than a Dr.Jart Micro peel.  I can use it AM or PM depending on what else I use that day.  I like it!

3. Josh Rosebrook Hydrating Accelerator

4. Alpha H Vitamin B - Copper Tri-peptide serum - new product.  It is a greenish gel serum that absorbs nicely.  Suited for aging skin to fight dullness, lines, sleep deprivation....all the things.  I trust the formulation.  My skin is ok at the moment, so I expect maintenance.  Or a boost when I am worn out.  It is in the same vein as Deciem CAIS.  I haven't tried that yet.....one at a time.

5. Vintners Daughter Botanical serum - cuz I need my oil

6. Farmacy Eye Dew

7. Tata Harper Rebuilding Moisturiser.

2,407 Replies
testing