Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Daily Skincare - what are you using?

Often people ask for recommendations on a skincare routine or for specific products/combinations.  This might be a place to share your everyday skincare, both AM and PM.  A skincare "what are you wearing" as it were.  Hope this is useful.

*Age - 40

Skin type - oily/combination

Current skin condition - quite dehydrated (winter/indoor heating)*

01/17/16 - AM skincare in the order I used

1. Nude Jelly cleanser (love)

2. Pixi Glow tonic (5% glycolic toner - love)

3. Omorovicza Queen of Hungary Spritz (sample)

4. Radical Skincare Youth Infusion serum - hydrating and anti-ageing (new to me.  Testing)

5. Bobbi Brown Hydrating Eye Cream (like)

6. Elemis Pro-Collagen Marine cream (really like as an AM moisturizer)

I will try to post PM skincare tonight so the post can be comprehensive.

General comments - Okay skin.  Apparently the age between 38-42 is a transformational time in hormones (dehydrated skin/spots), so I am more aware of how my skin performs/reacts .  My skincare definitely has more "actives" now than before.

Anonymous Insider

Re: Daily Skincare - what are you using?

PM

IMG_3851.JPG

3/16/17 

a.m. (pictured)

• NUDE omega jelly cleanser
  • MURAD essential-c toner. obviously--obviously--this is not actually a vit c thing for me. it's in a clear bottle and i harbor no illusions. but i've been using this for years and still love it--it's just a really lovely moisturizing layer (i switch between using it as a mist and spraying it onto a cotton pad) that legit is moisturizing and helps keep my skin supple. and it smells lovely (if you like citrus).
  • SHISEIDO ultimune power infusing concentrate (see my post below for my thoughts)
  • VICHY aqualia thermal serum
  • CLINIQUE pep start eye cream
  • REN vita mineral omega oil
  • AVEDA botanical kinetics hydrating lotion.

3-16-amskincare.jpg

p.m. (gettin' into bed early toooonight !). the goal tonight is to sooooothe.

• CLINIQUE ttdo balm
  • REN evercalm cleansing milk
  • FIRST AID BEAUTY facial radiance pads
  • ANDALOU NATURALS 1000 roses mist
  • VICHY aqualia thermal serum
  • KIEHL'S midnight recovery eye cream
  • CLARINS blue orchid oil
  • TATCHA indigo triple recovery cream. i have some samples of this, and tonight it felt like it's what the dr ordered.
Anonymous Insider

PM

IMG_3803.JPG

IMG_0080.JPG

PM, trying May Coop Raw Sauce on a friend's insistence. First impression, just okay. There wasn't anything off putting about it, but something about it seems a little cheap/young/overhyped. If I wake up gorgeous tomorrow I will eat my words, however. 

The Luna oil remains firmly "meh" as well, but I keep using it because I haven't found an exciting replacement. 

lovely little routine tonight that's incorporating a few out-of-the-ordinary elements for me. i did not have makeup on so just one cleanse.

3/15/17 p.m.

• OMOROVIZCA thermal balm cleanser
  • SHISEIDO eudermine revitalizing essence
  • SHISEIDO ultimune power infusing concentrate (this is, for those curious, essentially a pre-serum, essentially designed to help whatever treatments you put on afterwards to work their best. but it can be used as a serum on its own as well. it works by--and this is a grossly simplified summation of the science--protecting cells within the skin and essentially strengthening them. this in turn helps treatments work even better. )
  • SHISEIDO wrinkle resist 24 eye cream
  • SUNDAY RILEY good genes
  • CLARINS blue orchid oil
  • AVEDA botanical kinetics hydrating moisturizer
  • KORRES lip butter 🙂

EDITED my summation of the shiseido power infusing concentrate as well as added this lovely photo of my long-loved but recently repurchased korres lip butter.

korreslipbutter.jpg

@jemly Thanks for explaining the power infusing concentrate! I picked up that SHISEIDO sampler but haven't yet tried it.

@fairlywell sure !! i think on it's own it's not useless, it's rather hydrating and has 'skin strengthening' benefits as it protects cells (this is a gross generalization on my part). 

i've actually spent the past 30 minutes reading about it and i'm going to edit my commentary above a bit.

I really love the Shiseido ultimune concentrate.  I think it really adds a balancing effect to my skin.

Q-do you use an oil and a moisturizer normally?

@mspera80 always always always. in the p.m. at least (in the morning i usually don't, though it depends on what i feel my skin needs).

oil under moisturizer, for me. to simplify things, i typically think of oils as nourishing my skin (food) and moisturizer as giving it a drink (water).

Over the last two days, I've tried a new moisturizer and mask. I guess I will list it all out: 

PM: 

KGD Spa Water (to remove makeup)

Sarah Chapman Ultimate Cleanse

Sarah Chapman Resurfacing Liquid

Trish McEvoy Retinol Eye Cream

May Lindstrom The Youth Dew

Mahalo The Balm

AM: 

Tata Harper Restorative Cleanser

Mahalo The Petal Mask (3 times a week)

Drunk Elephant Firma Vit C Serum (other days I don't use the Petal Mask)

Algenist Genius Eye Cream

Odacite Wild Carrot Serum

Charlotte Tilbury Magic Cream

I've been dabbling in the natural luxe world. I am enjoying it. I still love the May Lindstrom Blue Cocoon. The Mahalo Balm is nice. It's not as heavy as Blue Cocoon so I can use it on the nights I don't use May Lindstrom. The Petal Mask is also nice. It says it's safe enough for use daily. I use it three times a week. So far so good. Next up to try is the Vitality Elixir from Mahalo. I'm interested to see if it's as hydrating as The Youth Dew. 

Anonymous Insider

PM 

IMG_3783.JPG

@Anonymous I've had my eyes on that flower toner for a while!!! Do you like it? where did you get it from?

Thanks!!!

Anonymous Insider

@YoiFran

Its the Whamisa organic flowers toner. I use this every morning as it's a light watery toner and works well under makeup. 

Okay, ladies... I'm throwing my hat into the ring! My skincare regimen could probably use an overall since I just turned 30 this year. Admittedly, I am much of a makeup junkie than a skincare addict, so I've never really delved that far into sticking to a quality skincare regimen... 

About the only things I *consistently* use are Boscia Makeup Breakup Oil for makeup removal, Boscia Clear Complexion Cleanser for cleansing (I think I keep buying skincare like I think I'm still a teenager even though I don't get any breakouts), a little bit of Ole Henriksen Sheer Transformation, and I always wear SPF. I guess I've prescribed to the less is more/don't mess with a good thing mentality... but at 30, I know prevention is best. *sigh* Also, I'm a nutritionist, so I think nutrition has a lot to do with why my skin has been so good despite being so lazy with my skincare regimen thus far, lol. 

I have a drawer full of skincare products that I may or may not use if I happen to remember them, but I won't bore you with them (Fresh, Origins, Shiseido, Caudalie, Lancome, PTR, tons more) since I don't use any of them consistently enough. I have a Clarisonic... almost never use it. I know, I'm bad.

Skin Type: Normal, Fair

Condition: Great

Concerns: Currently, none... but anti-aging/preventative care is my main priority

Thanks in advance, beauties! 🙂

@khaleesi what sort of antiaging potions interest you? Retinols, acids, serums, mists, oils, masks? It sounds like you have basics that you like, and I'm sure you're right that good nutrition is a huge help. 

I'm a big fan of acid exfoliation, and at almost 36 I have embraced retinol. I tend to luxuriate in the process, so I probably use more steps and products than truly necessary. If you give me a category of interest I would be happy to go on and on with my favorites! 😉

@fairlywell I love masks, just because I think they're relaxing, lol. But I do recall reading something that said that in your 30s, retinol is the most important ingredient to look for in an anti-aging product. (Is that correct?) I'm a bit of a dunce when it comes to skincare, so I'm open to any and all suggestions! 🙂 Thank you so very much for responding!

@khaleesi oh wow, free reign! Settle in for a novel!

Finding a retinol that works for you would definitely add to your time-slowing abilities. Dr. Dennis Gross Ferulic + Retinol peel pads are a regular repurchase for me. (You can cut in half and seal the unused half in a baggie for next time, there's a ton of product on each pad and that makes them more cost effective.) I want to try the Ferulic + Retinol night serum next. I've tried Sunday Riley Luna, marketed as a retinol-similar product. I don't love it, I think there are better oils and better retinols. I've also used Paula's Choice retinol, and while it may be a perfectly good product I didn't enjoy the formula at all. I just ordered a retinol serum from The Ordinary - for $10 I have to try it! I'll report back. 

My face does well with acids. (Generally good for exfoliation, brightening, texture, maaaybe some fine lines.) If yours does too, here are things to try! Pixi Glow tonic (5% glycolic, very gentle), Pixi Peel Pads (20% glycolic, use at night when you don't use retinol), FAB pads (similar), SR Good Genes (lactic acid + other stuff).

Masks! The PTR pumpkin enzyme mask is a nice enzymatic exfoliant. I love the origins charcoal mask followed by a bunch of essences and oils. Sheet masks are everywhere- I'm not sure how much they -do- but sometimes they are a nice bit of self-care. I completely agree about the relaxation effect. My current favorite is SkinFood's rose tea gel mask.

Serums and essences... I feel like these are the extra credit of skincare. Lovely to have, you will probably enjoy them, but get the rest of your homework in first! There are a million of them. If you hang out here for any length of time you'll see lots of options. Not trying to be unhelpful, but there's a lot of trial and error. 

Oils! Some of these are also serums. It's confusing. When you look at the ingredients list, I recommend snobbishly that you avoid anything with mineral, safflower, or coconut oil in the first few ingredients. Those just aren't the good stuff. Argan, jojoba, sweet almond, olive derivatives - go for it. Oils get pricey, but you use them a few drops at a time.  So samples are really helpful! Adding oils to my routine completely changed my skin.  I had been looking into Botox/fillers and now I think that's still a ways off.

whew, done! That's not even comprehensive! Keep posting what you're doing, I'm so interested to see what works for you!

I'm in the same boat.  Huge drawer full of sometimes used products.  Then I complain they don't do anything.  I don't use them consistently enough to let them work.

No tips....just sharing in your practices.

@mspera80 with the hodgepodge of skincare I randomly use, I'm surprised it doesn't all absorb into my face and counter act with each other and explode like some sort of science project gone wrong... lol 🙂

Age - 42

Skin type - oily

Condition - good

I have been feeling really poorly for a few days.  I'm sure I a still paying the price of that insect sting from a month ago.

1. Tata Harper Nourishing Oil Cleanser

2. Radical Exfoliating pads

3. Zelens Youth Serum

4. DDG Ferulic+Retinol eye cream

5. Aurelia Cell Repair Night Oil

20170314_PM (Large).jpg

Hi ladies! I'm looking to make a few changes to my routine and I wanted to get some feedback from you all! Your recommendations are also welcome!

just a few quick words about my skin. I'm 30 year old combination skin oilier in the zone Clogged pores on my noes. Dark circles and redness around the eyes. And I'm all about brightening my skin.

Current AM

caudalie cleansing water

origins zero oil pore purifying toner (tzone only)

ole henriksen truth serum

benefit it's potent eye cream

fresh youth preserve moisturizer 

current pm

caudalie cleansing water

m61 perfect cleanse

ole henriksen night invigorating treatment 

am I supposed to use truth serum here too?

alt: dr Brandt glow overnight resurfacing serum

( haven't been using but plan to again 2x a week)

benefit it's potent eye cream

fresh lotus moisturizer 

*bought a clearsonic last week! I plan to use once a week

The possible newbies:

Cleanser: I've tried a few different ones and they have left me a bit flaky in the t zone. I.e. FAB daily cleanser , origins checks and balances and sometimes even the blue mercury perfect cleanse. Recommendation: Anthony's Glycolic Facial cleanser was recommended to me by a fellow very knowledgeable BTer. Thoughts?

Moisturizer: I love Fresh Lotus Youth Preserve but I'm thinking about moving it to my nighttime routine and get a moisturizer with SPF for daytime. I was recommended Boscia brand either oil free or another with spf . I also have been looking into Murad Essential C Daily Moisturizer but it's pricey. Worth it?

Exfoliator: looking for a weekly or 2x a month scrub or peel. Thoughts on Eradikate or Paula's choice bha liquid exfoliant.?

1 Reply
testing