Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Daily Skincare - what are you using?

Often people ask for recommendations on a skincare routine or for specific products/combinations.  This might be a place to share your everyday skincare, both AM and PM.  A skincare "what are you wearing" as it were.  Hope this is useful.

*Age - 40

Skin type - oily/combination

Current skin condition - quite dehydrated (winter/indoor heating)*

01/17/16 - AM skincare in the order I used

1. Nude Jelly cleanser (love)

2. Pixi Glow tonic (5% glycolic toner - love)

3. Omorovicza Queen of Hungary Spritz (sample)

4. Radical Skincare Youth Infusion serum - hydrating and anti-ageing (new to me.  Testing)

5. Bobbi Brown Hydrating Eye Cream (like)

6. Elemis Pro-Collagen Marine cream (really like as an AM moisturizer)

I will try to post PM skincare tonight so the post can be comprehensive.

General comments - Okay skin.  Apparently the age between 38-42 is a transformational time in hormones (dehydrated skin/spots), so I am more aware of how my skin performs/reacts .  My skincare definitely has more "actives" now than before.

Anonymous Insider

Re: Daily Skincare - what are you using?

It is very possible, it is high in citruses, plant extracts, fragrance, and acids.

oh no mk ! i mean, technically *anything* can break *anyone* out because ingredients are a crapshoot, aren't they ? but have you ever noticed your skin reacting negatively to other products that contain glycolic acid OR lactic acid ??

I had the same problem!! I used it last week and am still trying to get my poor skin to recover. It was a sample pack I had that I tried and the only thing that I did different in my skincare.

• tom ford cleansing oil- sample (perfectly fine but I wouldn't buy it)
  • erborian double mousse- love the smell but a bit drying
  • perricone MD vitamin c ester 15- love 
  • la prairie white caviar illuminating eye cream- love
  • dennis gross ferulic & retinol fortifying neck emulsion- love. Have only been using a month but hands down best neck treatment under $100 that I have tried. 
  • Verso super facial oil 
  • amore pacific time response

this is the first week I have tried using retinol (verso) along with vitamin c or acids and so far so good. I was worried it would be too irritating (especially with acids) but my skin seems to like it

L4S,

On a recent holiday to Vancouver, I stopped by the Nordies TF counter and picked up a sample of the moisturizer.  I quite liked it.  I don't buy TF skincare products (for the price I like others at the moment), but this was good.

Anonymous Insider

I'm using Luna most nights, but I do often use the Verso oil as a daywear retinol (esp. when traveling for work), and this is working out well for me 🙂

I think I actually prefer it to the Luna which I had been using. I use it almost every night now and no issues, I haven't found another I can do that with. Retinol in oil is genius. 

This morning was simple.  I just wanted to rehydrate.

1/29/16 - AM

1. Water cleanse - with warm wash cloth

2. Serum

3. Eye cream

3. My nightime moisturizer

Random thoughts:

- I only use my right hand for skincare.  No reason, just a habit.  For a few days I have deliberately tried to use both hands, and it feels very strange.  My left hand has no idea what to do and is like the dancing shark - all over the place.  I might go back to one hand, and unnecessarily take twice as long for a facial massage.

- Talking about facial massage:  I use my middle finger (the strong one) and massage around my eyes when applying eye cream (I am not kneading it!).  Apparently you are supposed to use the delicate ring finger and barely touch that area.  Just for that I will massage my eyes twice today.

I missed posting a few days, going through my rough patch again but hell if it can prevent me from following my comprehensive skin care routine 😉

Only new thing tried in last few days is the Fresh honey mask. I think it is a great winter mask for those who have dry skin but still it is not too much for the ones having oily skin like me. It left skin very hydrated and soft. I felt like it leaves a light film on the skin after washing it but it still let the skin care products absorb well and skin was still extra soft in the morning.

Age 46, dry sensitive skin.

Cleanser: Coconut oil. Occasionally I splurge on a jar of Ultra Bland from Lush. I also have some Cetaphil cleanser in my shower in case I have particularly resistant make-up on (otherwise it is too harsh for regular use). 

Day:

Cera Vie facial moisturizing lotion w/ SPF. 

CVS BB cream. Gives some more moisturizing and some more SPF and a bit of color. I don't use it every day.

Night:

Cera Vie moisturizer that comes in a big tub.

Via Liberta face self-tanner occasionally if I am looking particularly peaked.

I occasionally slap on some Retin A or some sort of night cream that has retinol in it, but mostly my skin can't handle it. 

I have found that less is more for me w/ skincare. I used the expensive multi-step systems of many years and really think that my skin looks as good, if not better, now. 

Age - 21

Skin Type - Normal, acne prone 

Current - Dry and very acne prone! *arg* 

PM: 

Tatcha Oil Cleanser

Clinique Acne Solutions Foaming Cleanser 

Clinique Acne Solutions Toner 

May Coop Raw Sauce 

Drunk Elephant TLC Framboos Serum 

Dr. Jart Water Fuse Overnight Mask 

Herbivore Lapis Facial Oil 

Thoughts and recommendations are welcome 🙂 

LovePlaid,

I would ditch the Clinique Acne Solution Foaming Cleanser and Acne Solution Toner immediately.  They are certainly irritating your skin further. 

It was difficult finding the ingrdients on the Clinique productson Sephora (why?).  Anyway:

Most foaming cleansers (especially Clinique) have "surfuctants" - hence the foaming action.  They strip oil from the skin are are very drying.  I am sure you are already feeling the effects of it.  Drying out the skin like that makes it even more sensitive.  Acne prone dry skin suffers the most.

The Clinique Acne solutions Clrifying lotion might be my least favourite product in all skincare.  It is alcohol hevay with no redeeming qualities.  It is stripping your skin.

Frankly, I stay away from all products (with rare exceptions) that are marketed for "acne/oily skin".  The majority of them are harsh and make the skin worse.

Recommendations (will stay within Clinique)

Cleanser - Are you using the Clinique cleanser to remove makeup?  If so, might I suggest trying their "Take the Day off Balm" or "Take the Day off "Solution? Make sure to try it out and see that it suits you.  My skin doesn't like the balm, but is okay with the solution. 

However, I don't like"makeup removers"/first cleanse products at all.  If I need to remove heavy makeup (which is hardly ever), I use Tatcha oil cleanser as both a first and second cleanse. 

Toner - You can try the Clinique Mild toner, it is much better than the Acne one.  Or you could try Pixi Glow Tonic.  It is a mild acid toner that you can use at night.  It will help with keeping your skin clear and breakouts as well.

As always, test the product to make sure it suis you.  Everyone reacts differently to even good products.

You know, I was wondering the same thing!! I'm not actually a huge fan of Clinique, I used it in high school but it didn't do much for me.  I purchased it because I wanted to try something to target my acne.  

I've heard a lot about the Pixi Glow Tonic! What do you think of it?  There are some other acid toners that I think I might try in the near future so I might include this one! 

Thanks a bunch 🙂 

LovePlaid - I love the Pixi Glow Tonic. 

It is very simple and efficient.  At 21, this is all the acid toner you would need (if you try it and like it).

Last night:

- Oil based double cleasne

- MB Rosewater spray

- boscia essence (new, skin is doing well with this, but don't think it will replace anything)

- NUDE serum (like this, my skin likes this, may buy full size to have on hand when my samples run out)

- DDg Ferulic + Retinol (my favorite retinol product)

- KS Oil Free Moisturizer

- SKII Eye cream sample

This is the 2nd time I have used a moisturizer over my retinol and I like it! Over summer I tried this a couple of times and my skin did not enjoy it, since it is dryer in winter my skin is happy. I wake up with my face feeling less tight. I may try a bit of a heavier cream overnight next retinol night and see what happens...

Double masking tonight

1/28 p.m

- Micellar Water to remove makeup

- Tatcha Oil Cleanser

- REN Glycol Lactic Radiance Renewal Mask

- Erborian Bamboo Waterlock Mask

- Maycoop Raw Sauce

- OH Truth Serum

- Shiseido Power Infusing Concentrate

- Marcelle Hydra C moisturizing gel

- Glossier Rosewater spray

- Some nice rose lip balm

- Used Clarins Baume Corps Super Hydrant on my dry hand and feet. It seems nice. I'm glad it came in Nordie gwp.

Comments: I've been using the Shiseido stuff for a while now (morning and night) and I don't feel any more powerful NOR are my fine lines/dark circles/any eye problems reducing. 

Shameless old-lady turban selfie. Skin is doing pretty well overall, I think. Room for improvement.

Photo on 1-28-16 at 11.38 PM.jpg

MA ! Aren't you the prettiest one ❤️

How do you look so good without any makeup on! Unfair!! Stop being so cute, agh!

I love you. Look at this actual photo someone took of us.

12393598_961382210608594_1650371850_n.jpg

Who else looked at this drawing and began listing off the names of the products in this photo! LOL! I know I did!

Omg I love this Heart

testing