cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Confused about what chemical exfoliant to get for brightness

Hi guys!

I am 32 with mild acne prone dry bumpy skin. My skincare regime is basically a face wash, toner and moisturizer. I don't wear make up. But off late I am growing more conscious of my complexion. There are blackheads and acne scars which are taking too long to fade and thanks to my hereditary dark circles adding to it, I look dull and tired all the time. I recently read about AHAs/BHAs and looked them up to get more information but most beauty bloggers talk about and seem to use so many of them. I am a  confused, skincare noob just looking for something that would help me brighten my skin and help fade the scars also maybe help prevent more acne. I am not sure if I should get specific acids like The ordinary's lactic acid or glycolic acid toner and combine them or something that is already a combination of lactic,glycolic as well as salicylic acid. I received a 7 day trial for Sunday Riley good genes with a sephora purchase and I totally regret not using it regularly as I am not sure how well it even worked at the time. I really want to give AHA/BHA a serious try but I'd prefer to begin with something that is not too expensive. Where do I even start??

Re: Confused about what chemical exfoliant to get for brightness

@divnewbee  Ahh, the wonderful world of skincare 🙂 So. Many. Options. Can be super overwhelming 🙂 

If your main concern right now is dry and textured skin, I would definitely suggest incorporating an AHA and a facial oil into your daily routine, and then some masking for fun. Consistently is key with skincare, realistically, you'll have to use a product for several weeks or even months before seeing results, but stick with it and you will be rewarded. Scars and dark spots in particular can take awhile to fade. 

What has worked for me (mid 30's, combo-dry skin, not particularly sensitive except to vitamin C, acne is not a concern, my skin goals/concerns are tone, texture, hydration, and anti-aging).

Dr. Dennis Gross Skincare Alpha Beta® Universal Daily Peel Pads 30 Treatments + 5 Bonus

- Okay, not cheap, BUT, if you are looking for as instant a result as you can get with skincare, these pads are it! The gateway chemical exfoliant if you will 🙂 Sephora sells a 5-pack, I'd start with that and see how you like it. I'm a fan of the extra strength (there are more anti-aging ingredients) but these are great to start. Use one peel a day or every other day for a week (at night if possible, I only use AHA's at night because it can make your skin hyper-sensitive to sun) and if your skin doesn't feel smooth as a baby's bottom by then end of that week...Long term, I only use them once or twice a week, especially when my skin is freaking out, but every time, it's like new skin on my face. Love.

Other AHA pads that I use and adore: 

FIRST AID BEAUTY - Facial Radiance Pads- Much milder and gentler exfoliant, can definitely be used everyday, affordable but still somewhat effective

NEOGEN DERMALOGY - Bio-Peel Gauze Peeling - Lemon

- These are fun to use after cleansing, it's a lactic acid based exfoliant and I find it's great for texture and instant brightness. There's a green tea version too but I prefer the lemon. 

If you're looking for a serum vs a treatment, lots of people swear by Good Genes and the DE Frambois is very popular as well, but I actually prefer OLEHENRIKSEN Invigorating Night Transformation™ Gel 1.7 oz/ 50 mL

I layer it on at night well after my moisturizer and facial oil have sunk in and it's great for texture and pores. With AHA's, more is not more, don't use too many AHA products at the same time, otherwise, your skin with freak out.

For tone/dark spots/hyperpgimentation and overall brightness, I swear by CAUDALIE - Vinoperfect Radiance Serum.

Again, it's a bit pricey but I've found it works for me and it's one of the constants in my routine. 

This is an old thread that isn't as popular now but it's GREAT as a reference for a variety of routines for a variety of skin types. I'd scroll through a few pages and see if anything catches your fancy! 

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Daily-Skincare-what-are-you-using/m-p/2343211#M23506

@divnewbee  Hi!  I like this article on the difference between AHAs and BHAs.  :

https://www.paulaschoice.com/expert-advice/skincare-advice/paulas-choice-product-tips/difference-bet...DOThtml

For low cost ones, I like Paula's Choice.  It's the only BHA I will use/rec.  I recently starting using the AHA, and really like.

good luck!

Thanks @greeneyedgirl107

I will definitely look at the article.

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing