Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Cleanser for dry acne prone skin

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good cleanser for my combination/dry acne prone and sensitive skin!?!
Anonymous Insider

Re: Cleanser for dry acne prone skin

Barbara Sturm Cleanser (the one in the foaming pump) is my favorite cleanser for acne-prone and sensitive skin. I have had clear skin for over two years now thanks to this cleanser because I was breaking out from cleansers with Cetearyl Alcohol or Cetearyl Olivate (confirmed during testing I did at the dermatologist). Dr. Sturm started her skincare line in 2006 and as a scientist myself, I really respect her! I haven't used any of her other products but I would be interested in trying the hyaluronic serum.

RE: Cleanser for dry acne prone skin

People are probably going to say I’m nuts but this is what has worked for me. I have combination, sensitive, rosacea, dark spots and cystic acne prone skin. I wanted to go natural with my skin care routine and I read about baking soda. I’ve been using it for 6 months, literally just a 99 cent box, I sprinkle some in my palm, mix a bit of water, rub the paste on my wet face, let sit while I take my shower or bath, rinse with slightly warm water. My face has never looked better and around my cycle when I get the horrible acne it clears in a couple days without the horrible red purple marks I used to have left behind! It did take a bit to work, my face purged and I had a few break outs but they calmed down after about a week. Now I doubt this will work for everyone but I’ve tried countless products from philosophy to Clinique (even proactive) and this has finally made me able to go out in public without foundation! If you know dermablend or pancake makeup you’ll feel my freedom from it!!
Anonymous Insider

Re: Cleanser for dry acne prone skin

OOOOOHHHHHH!!!!!!!! Yes! I have acne prone, combination, sensitive skin! I know that you asked for just a cleanser, but I'm just going to give you my whole skin routine! Trust me, it's a little pricey, but the effects are WORTH IT! 1. Splash your face with some water to get your skin ready 2. Fresh soy face cleanser (you can find this on Amazon or Sephora). This is the best face wash I have ever used. It is so gentle and smells very good. It's a life saver ($15 for a medium size) 3. (warning: expensive, but works SO well) Ole Henriksen Truth Serum (orange). This moisturizes and hydrates your skin with the perfect balance of vitamin C (1 oz: $48---0.5 oz: $15) small one lasts a while (also this product is great for calming inflamed areas on your face and redness of acne) (can be found online or in Sephora but they don't sell the mini ones) 4. HYDRATION IS KEY!!!!!!! next I put on one full squeeze thing onto my face. Shea Moisture 100% Virgin Coconut Oil Daily Hydration Overnight Face Oil. I put this on my face at night, because it makes your skin LOOK (not really be) a tad bit greasy right after (I got this at Target for $7) (make sure to really rub it into your skin) 5. This is the final product, but it is the most important part. It sounds silly but it is a perfect way to finish your routine and a perfect way to make sure it went onto your skin. Mario Badescu Facial Spray with Aloe, Herbs, and Rosewater. This product can be found online or in Urban Outfitters for $7. Just spray it onto your face after your routine, and it seals the products into your skin (not forever) and makes the whole routine much better. good for hydration That's my nighttime routine, I will show you my morning routine (just message me)

The Khiel’s cucumber cleaner works magic on my dry acne prone skin. Can’t recommend it highly enough.
Anonymous Insider

I swear by African Black Soap, I usually use it 2-3 times...

I swear by African Black Soap, I usually use it 2-3 times a day just because my skin gets so oily and then 4-5 times a day I use Witch Hazel, and I always use it right after I wash my face. I have combination skin and it used to be so red and I had cystic acne and I've been doing this for a few months and my skin is better than I ever thought it could be.
Anonymous Insider

So that's a lot going on. So this reply may get a little wordy 😁Dry, combination, acne, and sensitive.... When you say dry, is it tight, uncomfortable, itchy? If it's flakes your talking about, flaky skin does not always mean dry skin. Acne prone skin is usually oily, but can have dryness cause by using acne products or prescriptions. How much acne are we talking? A few pimples here and there, 1x a month breakout, or always have pimples here and there or all over the face? Sensitive.. explain that.. did you have a funny reaction one time, or donthings make you get more pimples, or did you get hives and have a full blown allergic reaction. Most cosmetic grade skincare products have fragrance (some more than others) and most people will react to that. What skincare products and brands are you using now?? Sorry this is so long, I have a point I promise! 🦄🦄🦄💫💫💫

No I love it!! Thank you so much. I realize I'm doing som...

No I love it!! Thank you so much. I realize I'm doing something wrong but don't know what it is exactly. So this reply will be a bit long I'm afraid. I've always had acne prone skin but as I've entered my 30's it's changed dramatically. The things that were working no longer do (Proactive in my teens to early 20s then dermalogica product almost exclusively in my late 20s). I had it mostly contained but, I also didn't wear makeup then and I LOVE it now. I breakout on my chin always with a spot or two randomly somewhere else on my face, if I've touched it at all throughout the day, I can count on a breakout happening later. What was once oily skin is now more dry. I still have some oil in the Tzone (I don't usually blott or add powder ever anymore) but will have some pretty severe dryness on my cheeks. Even so far as to getting dry patches right on the apples of my cheeks. I have a hard time finding cleansers that will clean deep without making the dryness worse. I also have a difficult time finding moisturizers that don't burn. Currently after makeup I use; Dermalogica precleanse Philosophy purity made simple Dermalogica ultra serum concentrate Kora organics face oil(on the apples of my cheeks only) At night I use Fresh Rose Hydrating toner, Sunday Riley Luna and I just started using Good Genes but only 3 times a week. I'm probably going to stop using it as it makes me really red and I don't enjoy the feeling, it burns.
Anonymous Insider

RE: No I love it!! Thank you so much. I realize I'm doing som...

I think most women have all used so many products and brands. We are all just looking for that holy grail skin care product that is really going to deliver what it says, and not just for a few weeks then the love affair ends! We deal with the disappointment, and throw it in that one drawer that we ALL have, that is overflowing with past skincare that also did not deliver! The cycle just continues for most of us. Then there is medical grade skincare. You just named 6 different products, and 5 different brands. It's all together obviously to drying, and irritating for you. At this pint I do not feel that anything over the counter is going to do it for you. You would only continue with the reactions you are getting now. My suggestion, see a skin professional. Find a medical esthetician in your area. Do your research! Make sure they are well educated and experienced! They should ask you a million questions about your current skincare products, allergies, sensitivities, medical conditions, and current medications. They will make recommendations, explain products, tell you why you need them, and how they are going to change your skin. They should follow up with you and have you come in regularly to see your skin. They will also be available if you need to call them with any issues or questions. You need stronger and healthier skin, that type of skin is less reactive. That is something medical grade can do. I currently use ZO Skin Health for myself and my patients. Go check them out online, see if their is a provider that carries that line in your area if you are interested.

Fab beautys cleanser and moisturizer! 😊

Re: RE: Cleanser for dry acne prone skin

@ciupik Agreed!

Clinique mild cleanser! (For skin type 2 -dry combo)
11 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 11 replies
  • 11 Hearts Given
  • 10 Contributors
testing