cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Clarins Double Serum Dupe

Hello!!
A few years ago, I used a product that burned my eyelids (three times, because I didn’t know what product was making the burn). Every skincare product I had didn’t calm, most of them make it worst, so I was desperate and the Clarins double serum was the ONLY product that made my eyelids go back to normal and calm my angry skin.

Since then, during the winter time when it’s really cold outside or when I use retinol and my skin may be more sensitized than usual, I pick up this product, it’s amazing for my sensitive skin or when I struggle with dry patches. 
I don’t use it as an anti-aging product, I use it for dryness (I’m combo/dry in the winter) or when my skin is irritated.

I’d like to know if someone has used this product for the same purpose and has found any dupe for it, because let’s be honest, is an amazing product but it’s very expensive…

I take a look on the ordinary oils, I haven’t try any of them.

Thank you 

Re: Clarins Double Serum Dupe

@esthergarcii You might be interested in this review from Beautypedia (1/5 stars) of the Clarins.  I think it's probably been re-formulated since this review was published, but it might help you isolate what you like about the product:

Spoiler

Clarins has had a product named Double Serum in their line for years. Every couple of years or so, they reformulate the previous version and re-launch, perhaps hoping you won't wonder that if the previous serum did everything it promised, why would a new one be needed?

On the other hand, a reformulation can be necessary if the goal is to keep up with the latest skin-care research—yet that doesn't seem to be the road Clarins traveled in this case. Instead, you're getting a very standard, overpriced (and overly fragranced) mineral oil–based serum whose numerous plant extracts present a mixed bag of results for skin. In many ways, this is very similar to the previous version, so really, it's more of a missed opportunity than anything else.

As with previous generations of Double Serum, the "Complete" version houses two serums in separate chambers. Each time you depress the pump at the top of the bottle, the serums combine, dispensing as one fluid. Although previous versions of this serum listed a "hydro" (water) phase and a "lipo" (fat) phase, with two distinct ingredient lists, for this version they consolidated the ingredient lists into one. Whether or not dispensing the ingredients separately matters for the skin (we can't imagine why it does), what ultimately matters is whether or not any or all of the ingredients in this fancy bottle make it the anti-aging breakthrough Clarins makes it out to be.

The main plant extract in this serum is Oxydendrum arboretum, a shrub without a shred of research proving it has benefit for skin. Clarins seems to be playing on the theme of plant stem cells, but as we discuss in More Info, stem cells from plants aren't a sure bet (or even a good idea) for your skin.

Beyond the plant ingredient mentioned above, this serum contains far more fragrance and preservative than it does beneficial plants. Despite Clarins' reputation as a natural line, this formula is surprisingly unnatural!

One of this serum's natural ingredients is a problem for all skin types: perilla oil. Related to the mint family, perilla oil is irritating (Source: www.naturaldatabase.com). It has some beneficial components, such as fatty acids and antioxidants, but there are other plant oils that offer these benefits without putting skin at risk of pro-aging irritation. Clarins included several good plant extracts, but none of them are anti-aging miracle workers, and the better ones are also found in other products that don't expose your skin to irritating plant extracts and a large amount of fragrance. See More Info to learn why daily use of highly fragrant products like this is a bad idea.

PROS:
  • Smooth, emollient fluid texture.
  • Contains several beneficial plant ingredients.
CONS:
  • Strongly fragranced.
  • Overpriced compared to today's best serums.
  • Contains a high amount of perilla seed oil, which is an irritant.
  • Formula doesn't contain ingredients that can reduce pore size.
More Info:

Why Stem Cells in Skin Care Don't Help: Stem cells are cells in animals and plants that are capable of becoming any other type of cell in that organism and of producing more of those cells. Despite the fact that stem cell research is in its infancy, many cosmetics companies claim they are successfully using plant-based or human-derived stem cells in their anti-aging products. The claims run the gamut, from reducing wrinkles to elastin repair and cell regeneration, so the temptation for consumers to try these is intense.

The truth is that stem cells in skin-care products do not work as claimed. In fact, they likely have no effect at all because stem cells must be alive to function as stem cells. Once these delicate cells are added to skin-care products, they are long dead and, therefore, useless. It's actually a good thing that stem cells in skin-care products can't work as claimed because one stem cell study has revealed that they present a potential risk of cancer.

Plant stem cells, such as those derived from apples, melons, flowers, and rice, cannot stimulate stem cells in human skin, but because they are from plants these ingredients likely have antioxidant properties. It's a good thing plant stem cells can't work as stem cells in skin-care products; after all, you don't want your skin to absorb cells that can grow into apples or watermelons!

There are also claims that because a plant's stem cells allow a plant to repair itself or survive in harsh climates, these benefits can be passed on to human skin. How a plant functions in nature is unrelated to human skin, and these claims are completely without substantiation.

Another twist on the issue is that cosmetics companies claim they have taken components (such as peptides) out of the plant stem cells and made them stable so they then can work as stem cells. This approach is not valid because stem cells must be complete to function normally. Even if you could isolate substances or extracts from these cells and make them stable, there is no published research showing they can affect stem cells in human skin.

Why Daily Use of Fragrant Skin Care is a Problem: Daily use of products that contain a high amount of fragrance, whether the fragrant ingredients are synthetic or natural, causes chronic irritation that can damage healthy collagen production, lead to or worsen dryness, and impair your skin's ability to heal. Fragrance-free is the best way to go for all skin types. If fragrance in your skin-care products is important to you, it should be a very low amount to minimize the risk to your skin (Sources: Inflammation Research, December 2008, pages 558–563; Skin Pharmacology and Physiology, June 2008, pages 124–135, and November-December 2000, pages 358–371; Journal of Investigative Dermatology, April 2008, pages 15–19; Journal of Cosmetic Dermatology, March 2008, pages 78–82; Mechanisms of Ageing and Development, January 2007, pages 92–105; and British Journal of Dermatology, December 2005, pages S13–S22).

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
testing