Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Can you use AHA/BHA toner and a AHA/BHA serum too?

I see that there are a lot of AHA/BHA products out there. I'm currently using the Drunk Elephant Framboos serum and i'm searching for a good toner to add to my routine. I see toners that have those acids as well.. Will it be too much to use both of them? Thank you,
Tags:

Re: Can you use AHA/BHA toner and a AHA/BHA serum too?

@Evalyinee  What do you want a toner to do for your skin that another product in your routine doesn't already do? I ask because toners aren't really necessary these days, depending on what you expect them to do. 🙂 

Framboos is plenty enough exfoliation on its own, so I recommend skipping any toner that contains glycolic acid or a fairly high percentage of lactic acid. You probably don't need a BHA toner either, since Framboos also contains salicylic acid. 

I use 2 toners on a regular basis on my mostly-dry combo skin. One is marketed as an essence; the other's marketed as a toner, but I don't use it that way: 

• e.l.f. Hydrating Water Essence - used as a hydrating toner in my morning routine. It's loaded with niacinamide and other hydrating ingredients. The only bad thing about it is fragrance, which is its last ingredient. But it contains no drying alcohol or any other bad-for-me crap. 
  • COSRX Centella Water Alcohol-Free Toner - I like to keep my face damp throughout my skincare routine, so I often use this toner as a hydrating mist—especially during my night routine. Bonus points for the skin soothing ability of centella asiatica, though cica water isn't as potent as cica extract. Still, my face loves this stuff. 

As for which toner's right for you, that'll depend on what you expect a toner to do. 

Re: Can you use AHA/BHA toner and a AHA/BHA serum too?

@Evalyinee I wouldn't use an acid toner with an acid serum it's just a LOT exfoliation. There are a lot of hydrating toners as well though like fresh Rose & Hyaluronic Acid Deep Hydration Toner 8.4 oz/ 250 mL and the LANEIGE Cream Skin Toner & Moisturizer 5.0 oz/ 150 mL 

Alternatively you can use the serum and aha toner on alternating nights but I'd still keep my chemical exfoliation down to 2-3x a week. 

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 6 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing