Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Black men skin

Okay so, I want to introduce one of my close friend to skin care and I was wondering if there any brand that are better for black men skin… if that makes any real difference. 
he’s in mid 30’s, skin’s pretty normal, no real wrinkles or acne. Sometimes he does get some dry patches. 
Last thing, I need something real simple like 3 steps… 

thanks! 

Re: Black men skin

@itssandee  Which brands and products are best for your friend depends on his skincare concerns and goals, plus any skin sensitivities he has. Some people's skin can't tolerate certain ingredients. Example: my facial skin hates nearly all essential (perfuming) oils, especially lavender oil, and I can't use lavender extract on my face. Also, if he has any true allergies, that may affect the products he can use. People with aspirin allergy shouldn't use salicylic acid (BHA), for instance. 

The only race/skin tone related considerations I can think of for choosing a skincare brand (beyond just wanting to support a black-owned business) aren't really brand-specific. They're product/ingredient-specific. My own skincare routine is a mix of various brands; there's no single brand whose entire product line I can use because some products contain bad-for-me ingredients (like lavender extract). Other people with my skin tone might not have my particular skin sensitivities. When it comes to deeper skin tones, hyperpigmentation is usually a main concern: when we get acne or any skin irritation/inflammation, it often leaves a dark mark after healing. So it's wise to avoid ingredients and products that may irritate the skin—but again, you have to know your particular skin's sensitivities. Other than that, physical/mineral sunscreens can be a hassle for us... I'll talk more about that in the spoiler tag below. 

A good skincare routine can be as simple as this: 

Spoiler
Night 

1. Gentle cleanser (nightly) - I usually recommend looking at CeraVe, Cetaphil, and Vanicream for cleansers. They're effective, inexpensive, and available at your local drugstore or Target. I have mostly-dry combo skin and I shower at night. I use the CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser Bar on my face and body while I'm in the shower. It's the solid bar version of CeraVe's popular Hydrating Facial Cleanser. 

2. Moisturizer (nightly) - Apply while skin's damp (not soaking wet) to seal in hydration instead of dryness. Those 3 brands I mentioned above are good options for this step. I also like Paula's Choice moisturizers. 

Morning 

1. Gentle cleanser (optional, as needed) - Some folks don't need to wash their face twice a day. I often just gently wipe my face with a wet plush microfiber cloth in the morning, and usually only where I need to (around my eyes). If I do use a cleanser in the morning, it's something non-lathering and very gentle like Paula's Choice Optimal Results Hydrating Cleanser, or a cleansing balm like Paula's Choice Omega + Complex Cleansing Balm 3.5 oz/ 104 mL or The INKEY List Oat Makeup Removing Cleansing Balm 5 oz/ 150 mL . CeraVe Hydrating Facial Cleanser could be a good option for the morning. 

2. Moisturizer (daily) - Can be the same one used at night. 

3. Broad spectrum sunscreen (daily) - At least SPF 30, applied to ALL skin exposed to sunlight (eyelids, ears, behind ears, hairline, nape of neck if exposed, etc.) and reapplied every couple hours, all year long, regardless of weather or season. Which one's best depends a lot on personal preference, but it can be either chemical or physical/mineral; one type's not better than the other, and both types work mostly the same way. Some sunscreens contain good moisturizing ingredients (shea butter, dimethicone, squalane, argan oil, etc.) and can be used instead of a moisturizer. In hot weather, I often use Supergoop! Unseen Sunscreen Invisible Broad Spectrum SPF 40 PA +++ instead of my usual AM moisturizer (Vanicream Daily Facial Moisturizer). 

For those of us with deeper skin tones, mineral sunscreens can be frustrating because of the white or grey cast they leave on our skin (thanks to zinc oxide). Many of these sunscreens are tinted to mask that cast, but not all tints work on all deep skin tones. I'm in the "medium deep" range, and some tints that blend seamlessly into my skin tone leave an ashy cast on deeper skin tones. Likewise, many tints don't work on my skin tone because they're too light for me; they may work on folks no deeper than medium, I guess. CoTZ non-tinted sensitive mineral sunscreen (available at Ulta) blends out to an invisible finish on me, but it usually leaves a shinier/greasier finish than I'd like, so I end up powdering down the shine. If your friend doesn't mind a shiny finish, that sunscreen's a good option. 

He can add more steps/products as needed to address any specific issues/goals. If he gets dry patches, he may want to boost his skin's hydration level with a humectant-packed serum or hydrating toner. Those would be applied to damp skin after cleanser and before moisturizer. My skin's favorite hydrating serum is The Ordinary Buffet Anti-Aging Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL , but there are plenty of other good options on the market. 

His dry patches could instead be a symptom of a skin condition. For instance, if he gets dry patches only around his nose, he might have something like seborrheic dermatitis caused by a yeast overgrowth. (We all have yeast growing on our skin, and sometimes they get a little rowdy.) It's a very common skin condition. A dermatologist or primary care doctor should diagnose it, but an easy way to treat it is washing that area of the face with Nizoral anti-dandruff shampoo: it contains ketoconazole, an ingredient that targets the troublemaking yeast. I had a yeast overgrowth on my neck a year or 2 ago and had to apply Nizoral to that skin, let it sit for a few minutes, and then rinse it off. Worked like a charm. 

Fenty skin is the best way to go! They even have fragrance free now for sensitive skin

Hi @itssandee , men can be really lazy about skincare, right? I think you need to investigate more about his skin type (dry/combo/sensitive) and then get a consultation for him! I think that a cleanser, toner and face cream are the main products that most people would use on a daily basis!

For dry patches, check out aquaphor skin ointment!

You’re so right! 
thank youu!! 

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing