Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Best face mask for Hormonal Acne

Hello! I’m looking for a face mask for hormonal acne. I have dry to normal skin and am clueless with face masks. Any recommendations? 

Re: Best face mask for Hormonal Acne

Hi @des2323 ! If your hormonal acne is cystic (bumps deeper in the skin that never come to a head; they're usually tender and painful), then I don't think a mask will help. For that type of acne, it's best to see a board certified dermatologist or your primary care doctor for treatment options like cortisone injection. 

For other types of acne, a clay mask can absorb some of your excess oil/sebum and loosen the plugs in some active blackheads you might have. I usually apply clay masks just to my oily zone, but you can put it on your whole face (avoiding the eye area) if you want. My favorites are The INKEY List Kaolin Mask 1.7 oz/ 50 mL , Origins Mini Clear Improvement™ Active Charcoal Mask to Clear Pore 1 oz/ 30 mL , and Paula's Choice Pore Clarifying Charcoal Gel Mask. Also consider The Ordinary Salicylic Acid 2% Masque which contains clay, charcoal, and 2% salicylic acid; that one's a good choice for active acne. Salicylic acid (BHA) gets down into your pores to remove gunk like dead skin cells, and it works against acne-causing bacteria. It also removes some dead skin cells from the surface of your face, making it an exfoliant. 

Do you currently use an acne face wash that contains BHA or benzoyl peroxide? Something like The INKEY List Salicylic Acid Cleanser 5 oz / 150 ml or CeraVe Acne Control Cleanser can kinda sorta be like a quick mask: lather onto wet skin, let it sit for a couple minutes (to give BHA time to work), and then rinse off. Even more effective than BHA at killing acne-causing bacteria is benzoyl peroxide: a good product is PanOxyl 4% face wash (contains 4% benzoyl peroxide). PanOxyl says you should apply it to wet skin, actively massage it for 1-2 minutes, then rinse it off. You can also try lathering it onto wet skin and letting it sit for a couple minutes before rinsing. 

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 3 Hearts Given
  • 2 Contributors
testing