Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Best cream/oil for eye wrinkles? best value for money?

which is the best under eye cream or oil for lines and wrinkles? I have dry skin. I am confused with too many products.

Re: Best cream/oil for eye wrinkles? best value for money?

@HS1989  The best product depends on your particular skin. OTC retinol and prescription retinoid can address lines and wrinkles, but results take lots of patience and consistent use. The only quick way to remove or greatly reduce wrinkles is an injectable, like Botox. These are things I’ve learned via research, personal trial and error, and discussions with dermatologists. 

My undereyes are the driest skin on my face. Since I’m not willing to go the injectable route (not yet, anyway 🙂), I use a retinol serum under my eyes and top it with multiple layers of a moisturizer to plump that skin up a bit, which can help reduce the look of lines and sunken skin darkness. I start with DR. DENNIS GROSS SKINCARE - Ferulic + Retinol Triple Correction Eye Serum at night. When that sinks into my skin, I tap a little water under my eyes to dampen the area so my moisturizer can seal in some hydration. Then I top that with my full face moisturizer, Youth To The People Superfood Air-Whip Lightweight Face Moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid 2 oz / 59 mL . I apply a first layer of Superfood, give it a minute or two to soak in, then apply a second layer. Wait another minute, then apply a third layer if needed. In the winter, I sometimes apply 4 or more layers. Sometimes I use a facial oil—usually e.l.f. Nourishing Facial Oil or Biossance 100% Sugarcane Squalane Oil 3.4 oz / 100 mL —as one of my undereye moisturizing layers. An oil is perfectly fine to use under your eyes, depending on your skin. Also, a full face moisturizer can work just as well as a product marketed as eye cream. Again, it depends on your skin condition and needs (and personal preference, honestly). 

For daytime, I skip the DDG serum and apply whichever serum I’m using all over my face (either a vitamin C serum of The Ordinary Buffet). I’ve been using Biossance Squalane + Peptide Eye Gel for months as my AM undereye moisturizer (again, applying layers as needed), but I’m weaning myself off of it. I LOVE that eye cream but I’m trying to further simplify my routine, and I find that the YTTP Superfood moisturizer works fine for me as an eye cream when applied in layers. 

I won’t use a prescription retinoid because I honestly don’t need that much potency, and it might be too harsh for my particular skin. An OTC retinol works fine for me. In addition to the DDG serum, I use The Inkey List Retinol on the rest of my face 3 nights a week. That stuff has given my skin a ridiculous radiance boost. Seriously, my skin hasn’t looked this lit-from-within (without the use of facial oil) in decades, and I’m pushing 50. 🤣 I don’t use this retinoil serum under my eyes, but at some point I might be able to, depending on how that skin tolerates it. 

I’d never use something prescription strength like Differin—which contains the retinoid adapalene—under my eyes because it’d be too strong and cause irritation. Retinol is less potent than adapalene and prescription retinoids. That doesn’t mean retinol doesn’t work. It just works more gradually. 

And though I just talked a lot about retinol and retinoid, you might do fine with just a highly hydrating/moisturizing cream that doesn’t contain retinol. I don’t know how deep your lines are, but simply “over-moisturizing” your undereyes can reduce the look of them. Can’t erase them or otherwise replicate the effect of an injectable, but something containing hyaluronic acid, glycerin, squalane, and/or other hydrating/moisturizing ingredients can help plump up that skin. 

This reply is much longer than I meant it to be, oops. I hope some of it helps! 

thank you!

thank you!

When it comes to anti aging the best value is whatever works. Trust me spare no expense, eye cream will last three months and it’s saving your skin for the long term. Just take time and try the products on your skin before purchase. It takes awhile 

I like argan or marula oil. My favorite eye cream is either Sunday Riley or la mer.

JOSIE MARAN - 100 percent Pure Argan Oil

Drunk Elephant Mini Virgin Marula Luxury Face Oil 0.5 oz/ 15 mL

La Mer Crème de la Mer Moisturizer 1 oz/ 30 mL

Sunday Riley Auto Correct Brightening + Depuffing Eye Cream for Dark Circles 0.5 oz/ 15 mL

thanks

thanks

Best cream/oil for eye wrinkles? best value for money?

I'd stay away from the oils. You need a retinol and honestly it's best to get one from the dermatologist. The over the counter ones are ineffective

@HS1989 

I’ve been using the following combo for a year (I recently added a third product however it’s not sold at Sephora) and my under eye area has improved I would say 50% from where it was. 

I first apply DR. DENNIS GROSS SKINCARE - Ferulic + Retinol Triple Correction Eye Serum

let it fully soak in, then apply KORA Organics Noni Glow Radiant Eye Oil .34 oz / 10 mL

over top. The Oil is so hydrating and helps my concealer go on effortlessly. 

@HS1989 you can try SHISEIDO - Benefiance Wrinkle Smoothing Eye Cream 

it's already on my list thanks :)

it's already on my list thanks 🙂

Hi @HS1989,

If you're looking for a nourishing oil that will hydrate and plump your under eye area, I highly recommend the Ordinary's 100% Organic Cold Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil. It instantly plumps up fine lines and wrinkles. It's also a steal a 9.80 for a bottle.

https://www.sephora.com/product/the-ordinary-deciem-100-organic-cold-pressed-rose-hip-seed-oil-P4274...

Stay Gorgeous,

Penelope

thank you

thank you
1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 10 replies
  • 18 Hearts Given
  • 7 Contributors
testing