Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Battle of the Bakuchiols!

***UPDATE*** The newly reformulated Herbivore Bakuchiol Retinol Alternative Smoothing Serum is here!!! 🤩

There are slightly fewer ingredients, omitting jasmine flower extract, Eclipta Protrata, Moringa oleifera seed oil, and Basil Flower Extract. In addition, some ingredients have moved up/down on the list.

Original Ingredients List:

Spoiler
15871176-BFCD-4D1A-9CA8-DDFEDDE16F69.jpeg

New Reformulated Ingredients List:

Spoiler
9E011F36-4B42-4BC9-BC43-A851475CA42C.jpeg

After learning my beloved Herbivore Bakuchiol had been discontinued, I have decided to embark on a quest to find the closest and most compatible dupe for my skin, which right now is normal. 

baku.jpg

BakuTexture.jpg

Here are the contenders....

Spoiler

Biossance Squalane + Phyto-Retinol Serum,Alpyn Beauty Hydrating Sleeping Mask with Melatonin & Wild Dandelion 2.0 oz/ 59 mL , The INKEY List Bakuchiol Retinol Alternative Moisturizer 1 oz/ 30 mL, Burt's Bees Renewal Intensive Firming Serum and Mahalo's Photo-Retinoic Restoriing Night Serum. Not pictured:OLEHENRIKSEN Glow Cycle Retin-ALT Power Serum 

Ingredient List Comparison with Bakuchiol in bold for quick reference:

Spoiler
7236E68F-CF44-49EA-8387-26D4CE31227C.jpeg

4635C126-EB00-4812-A992-FF910458600F.jpeg
7E8BB449-F26F-449F-A056-F524CCD5407D.jpeg
F31D7057-1823-409E-B38B-314B2D252125.jpeg

Why do I care so much about bakuchiol 🤷🏻‍♀️

Spoiler
Retinols don’t agree with my skin. I’ve tried a few, and they leave my skin more textured overall (though my pores do appear slightly smaller). The Herbivore worked for me from the get-go. No redness, no irritation, just smoothed skin that lasted longer than the usual 1-2 hours post-mask 😄">😄 Since they discontinued the product due to sourcing issues, I’ve made it a priority to find a suitable replacement. I realize it may be a rabbit trail, but I’ll have some fun doing it, and hopefully discover an amazing new bakuchiol! 

*I am trying mainly serums. I have moisturizers with bakuchiol listed as an ingredient, but my preferred method is by serum, and also to stream-line the process. 

Re: Battle of the Bakuchiols!

Herbivore is on.its.way!!

@eshoe I can't wait. 

Me too, @l8totheparty! It’s on my list for the end of the month sale👍🏼

@eshoe Curious if you ever picked a winner. With the sale coming up, I only now noticed Herbivore released the reformulation just when I landed on trying out the Ole Henriksen. So now I’m indecisive!

You are currently trying out the OLEHENRIKSEN Glow Cycle Retin-ALT Power Serum ,@lnum? I just finished a DS and enjoyed it. The scent and hue remind me of the Tatcha Violet-C Radiance Mask 1.7 oz/ 50 mL. As far as how well it works, I was happy with it. All of the bakuchiol products seemed to plump my skin, but none lasted as long as the Herbivore Bakuchiol Retinol Alternative Smoothing Serum. @itsfi gave me a heads up a while back that a new formulation would be released, and while I’m planning to try it, am trying not to get my hopes up.

That being said, if it does perform similarly to the original, it will be my one and only 💗

@eshoe I have not tried the OH yet, I was planning to purchase it during the sale, but now the Herbivore is back I will purchase that instead. 

I hope to pick it up soon as well, @lnum. I’m very curious how different it will be, if at all.

@eshoe @Titian06 After giving up on bakuchiol without this product I have a feeling I’m going to love it no matter what!

I hope to hear about it, @lnum!

@eshoe @lnum - Here are the ingredients for the new version (from the Herbivore site).  I'm not seeing bakuchiol or babchi plant extract.  Typo?  BTW, this is the one that will be going on my list too!

Aqua/Water/Eau

Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Water

Glycerin

Psoralea Corylifolia Seed Extract

Leuconostoc/Radish Root Ferment Filtrate

Vaccinium Angustifolium (Blueberry) Fruit Extract

Populus tremuloides Bark Extract

Gluconolactone

Amethyst Extract

Vaccinium Myrtillus Fruit Extract

Sodium Phytate

Tremella Fuciformis Sporocarp Extract

Melia Azadirachta Leaf Extract

Melia Azadirachta Flower Extract

Amino Esters-1

Coccinia Indica Fruit Extract

Solanum Melongena (Eggplant) Fruit Extract

Aloe Barbadensis Flower Extract

Ocimum Sanctum Leaf Extract

Curcuma Longa (Turmeric) Root Extract

Corallina Officinalis Extract

@Titian06 @lnum how strange, I had replied to this thread with the different ingredient lists but that post seems to have disappeared. Thank you Titian06 for your eagle eyes 😉

Psoralea Corylifolia Seed Extract is aka as bakuchi or babchi. From what I found doing a little research, Bakuchi oil is extracted from the plant seeds. Bakuchiol is a name for the extract. So...I wonder if they are using a different distillation method?

Besides that, the new formulation has a few less ingredients, omitting the jasmine and basil extracts and a couple of other ingredients. A few things are shifted around as well.

New Ingredients 

Spoiler
E776470A-EF97-4A7F-A73A-4FDEEAD9147A.jpeg

Original Ingredients 

Spoiler
18DB8581-3F4D-4E62-932A-61AF7473E1A0.jpeg

Thanks, @eshoe @lnum !  I didn't think to find out what it is sourced from.  🙄

Well I usually forget to read the ingredient list altogether @Titian06 😂 Herbivore had sourcing issues with something, I don’t know which ingredient, which is why they discontinued it in the first place🤷🏻‍♀️

@Titian06 I did the same thing last night I compared ingredients. It’s listed as the fourth ingredient under the name Psoralea Corylifolia Seed Extract. 

It’s been a few weeks since I started, and I’m nearing the end of my first trial. Each has been tested by itself for one week, at a minimum three times, but closer to five in a seven day period. My next step is a two week trial of each to better understand the nuances; this is for initial thoughts only.

1. Biossance Squalane + Phyto-Retinol Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL - treated my skin well. Has a scent similar to the IL, which I do not care for-it’s a bit like powdery dirt. It fades quickly, but I don’t enjoy applying it. My skin tolerated and responded to it well.
  2. Burt’s Bees - the scent is absolutely lovely and the consistency of the serum matches; my skin however acted like I was applying retinol. By the end of the week, the same raised texture I experienced with retinols appeared. Extremely disappointed and hoping the two-week trial provides other results. My skin changes throughout the month, and right now it’s not the most favorable; I’m counting on major results when I trial this again!
  3. Alpyn Beauty Hydrating Sleeping Mask with Melatonin & Wild Dandelion 2.0 oz/ 59 mL - well, shoot. I didn’t want to love this but I’m slowly warming up to it and the results. It’s definitely not for everyone as the lavender scent is right up front. But my skin has improved since using it a couple of times a week since buying it, and even more so when I used it multiple times in a seven-day period for this little experiment.
  4. Herbivore - scentless but pretty, noticeable results, nice to look at. Will use sparingly until the brand shares any future plans for another Bakuchiol product.
  5. Mahalo - one of the most pleasant to use, especially when seeking out more than just physical changes. I can’t help but appreciate everything that went in to this serum, it truly feels like I am treating my skin so something extraordinary when I use this. I felt my skin responded beautifully to this, and it’s one I would use every night in replacement of my Herbivore if not for the price.
  6. The INKEY List Bakuchiol Retinol Alternative Moisturizer 1 oz/ 30 mL - I was surprised by this most of all. I finished a tube earlier this year by using it on my neck/décolletage. My first job in HS, I worked for a pharmacist who shared with me that taking care of your neck area was one of the best ways to keep you looking more youthful. I remember thinking, ‘who puts lotion on their neck?’ Now I know. It also works fantastic on the face. Similar in scent and efficacy to Biossance. Might even be a good dupe.

Still have OH to try, in the meantime will run everything through again with two weeks each instead of just one.

Thank you so much for your thoughts on these @eshoe!

Thank you, @faeriegirl! Do you have favorites? Or do you have a retinol <3?

@eshoe Herbivore is the only bakuchiol I’ve tried. I will probably try the Inkey list next. If not I might try the DE A passioni again. I’m hoping when my Sephora store reopens they might still have the herbivore in stock🤞

@faeriegirl I am happy with a decent $10 substitute. I was pulling for the Burt’s Bees because it’s so pleasant to use, but I have to remind myself why I am looking for a dupe. I can get pretty packaging from masks😂

@eshoe  I saw this mask on Instagram and I really want to try it. It has royal jelly, snail, bakuchiol, and peptides. I had never heard of the brand but it looks great.1A3933EB-A8DD-4B5A-84B7-D05451B8F5BB.jpeg

86294CD1-7841-49D7-966C-1B3CA1D85653.jpeg

Wow look at all those peptides, @faeriegirl 🤩 and snail. And bee pollen, niacinamide and Bakuchiol? I wonder if there are any DS floating around, it sounds pretty amazing!

10 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 61 replies
  • 214 Hearts Given
  • 16 Contributors
Photos13
  • baku.jpg
  • BakuTexture.jpg
  • Bakuchiol.jpeg
  • 1A3933EB-A8DD-4B5A-84B7-D05451B8F5BB.jpeg
  • 86294CD1-7841-49D7-966C-1B3CA1D85653.jpeg
  • E776470A-EF97-4A7F-A73A-4FDEEAD9147A.jpeg