Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Battle of the Bakuchiols!

***UPDATE*** The newly reformulated Herbivore Bakuchiol Retinol Alternative Smoothing Serum is here!!! 🤩

There are slightly fewer ingredients, omitting jasmine flower extract, Eclipta Protrata, Moringa oleifera seed oil, and Basil Flower Extract. In addition, some ingredients have moved up/down on the list.

Original Ingredients List:

Spoiler
15871176-BFCD-4D1A-9CA8-DDFEDDE16F69.jpeg

New Reformulated Ingredients List:

Spoiler
9E011F36-4B42-4BC9-BC43-A851475CA42C.jpeg

After learning my beloved Herbivore Bakuchiol had been discontinued, I have decided to embark on a quest to find the closest and most compatible dupe for my skin, which right now is normal. 

baku.jpg

BakuTexture.jpg

Here are the contenders....

Spoiler

Biossance Squalane + Phyto-Retinol Serum,Alpyn Beauty Hydrating Sleeping Mask with Melatonin & Wild Dandelion 2.0 oz/ 59 mL , The INKEY List Bakuchiol Retinol Alternative Moisturizer 1 oz/ 30 mL, Burt's Bees Renewal Intensive Firming Serum and Mahalo's Photo-Retinoic Restoriing Night Serum. Not pictured:OLEHENRIKSEN Glow Cycle Retin-ALT Power Serum 

Ingredient List Comparison with Bakuchiol in bold for quick reference:

Spoiler
7236E68F-CF44-49EA-8387-26D4CE31227C.jpeg

4635C126-EB00-4812-A992-FF910458600F.jpeg
7E8BB449-F26F-449F-A056-F524CCD5407D.jpeg
F31D7057-1823-409E-B38B-314B2D252125.jpeg

Why do I care so much about bakuchiol 🤷🏻‍♀️

Spoiler
Retinols don’t agree with my skin. I’ve tried a few, and they leave my skin more textured overall (though my pores do appear slightly smaller). The Herbivore worked for me from the get-go. No redness, no irritation, just smoothed skin that lasted longer than the usual 1-2 hours post-mask 😄">😄 Since they discontinued the product due to sourcing issues, I’ve made it a priority to find a suitable replacement. I realize it may be a rabbit trail, but I’ll have some fun doing it, and hopefully discover an amazing new bakuchiol! 

*I am trying mainly serums. I have moisturizers with bakuchiol listed as an ingredient, but my preferred method is by serum, and also to stream-line the process. 

Re: Battle of the Bakuchiols!

That's great to hear about the inkey list! @eshoe 

Yep I was impressed with how it stacked up against the more pricey versions, @lmaster! The experience is different, but if results are what you are going for, I was happy with it.

I can't believe so many appear to work after only three days to a week.  Looking forward to the results after two weeks.

@Titian06 that’s why I kind of panicked when the Herbivore was no more. I notice an immediate plumping and when used at night my skin looks better than normal the next morning. I’m relieved that so far, the others I’ve tried work for my skin, too. I can’t say there is a cumulative effect; also, when I stop using it, any effects disappear, too. So it’s something I want to use on an every other day basis until my skin no longer tolerated it!

@eshoe  Ahhh I love this thread!!!! Can’t wait to see everyone’s thoughts!!

Yes @ather , I hope to hear more about everyone else’s experiences. So far mine have been very positive, with only slight differences between the products.

Thanks for the tag @eshoe ! I was especially intrigued by the Burt's Bees since I just saw an ad for it the other day. I've been kind of a ghost around here but I'll give this a follow and be sure to check in on your thoughts!

That is my next try, @Brutalitops. So far everything has been sampled for one week straight, except for the Burt’s. I’m interested because the consistency seems similar to the IL, which works very similarly to the Biossance. But I did notice this week after using that every other day that I have some texture on my skin. Could be a combo of that with the use of exfoliating products, so everything needs a second go round with an inverse relationship of exfoliants.

@eshoe @Amazing! I can’t wait to see your results ! Following this for sure ! 

Yay @Kim888! So far it’s been smooth sailing, I am going to start some comparisons soon😊

@eshoe  I'll definitely be following along, I'm just starting to explore Bakuchiol products and just ordered the Inkey list one based on reviews of you and others that it was gentle. 
Thanks for starting this, I'm very interested in learning more about Bakuchiol and suggestions/input anyone has to offer!

The IL one has been very good on my skin, @Shosh85! There’s a bit of a scent I’m not too fond of; the Biossance one I’m using now has it too, just not as strong. Reminds me of ginseng kind of, but not deliciously-earthy ginseng. Can’t wait to hear what you think of it! 

Oh I can’t wait to hear about this journey. I’ll be following along @eshoe 

I hope it's a good one, @emaisgr8! So far everyone I've tried has been gentle on my skin, so that's a good thing. 

Glad to hear you are finding some alternatives @eshoe. Herbivore Backuchiol serum is/was such an amazing product; hopefully the brand will be able to come up with an alternative formulation that is equally amazing (or even more so!)

OLEHENRIKSEN Goodnight Glow Bakuchiol Sleeping Crème 1.7 oz/ 50 mL and OLEHENRIKSEN - Glow Cycle Retin-ALT Power Serum are two other bakuchiol products you might be interested in trying. I've been using deluxe samples that I picked up as a promo gwp for a little less than a month and they're both very nice products. Just note that both products contain AHAs (lactic acid and glycolic acid) though they appear further down the ingredients list in the serum version, so you'll want to keep in mind what other products you have in your rotation that may also contain AHAs/BHAs/PHAs, depending on your skin's sensitivity.  

Thank you for the suggestions, @itsfi! I'm glad you brought up the point of the AHAs, especially as I tend to overlook that. How are you liking the OH? I'm curious what differences you have noted between that and the Herbivore. 

@eshoe, I like both OH bakuchiol products and in the maybe 3 weeks that I've been using both, I've noticed a difference in the texture of my skin in that it's more smooth, becoming more even in tone and certain parts of my face have that radiance to it that I do associate with retinol use. It's suggested that the serum is used in the daytime and the sleeping cream, as would be expected, in the evening. I have seen wonderful results with using the products this way even though I'm not using them every day and never on the same day. That's a personal preference to avoid over-exfoliation. 

The consistency of the two products are different, which makes sense, as one's a serum and the other is a cream. The serum has a deeper, richer purple hue to it. The sleeping cream has a light pale purple tint that doesn't fully show up in the photo below. I do experience a little pinkness on my cheeks with the sleeping cream but it's gone the next morning and my skin does look nice! 🙂 There are other differences in the ingredients list for the products, but the serum contains squalane while the cream includes grape seed oil as their primary emollients. Both have added fragrance - it's a subtly sweet, somewhat sugary scent, and is more pronounced in the serum than the cream.

Bakuchiol.jpeg

Top: OLEHENRIKSEN - Glow Cycle Retin-ALT Power Serum 

Bottom: OLEHENRIKSEN Goodnight Glow Bakuchiol Sleeping Crème 1.7 oz/ 50 mL

@itsfi Have you used them together at night, or you think that would be too much? I had read that they could be used together and was wondering if there was some sort of additive benefit to doing so.

@haleyvvvv, I haven’t tried them together; it would be too much for at least certain parts of my face. I’ve noticed that my cheeks have some pinkness to them even as I’m limiting their usage during the week. I’ll dial back on the products in that area, which is where I’m most sensitive. I think someone who does not have sensitive skin may be able to use both the serum and cream on the evening without any issue. 

@itsfi I appreciate the additional info on the OH, and that you posted your photo here. It’s very helpful! The smoothness is also what I’ve noticed from the products I’ve tried, which is opposite of what I had experienced with retinol. 

The moisturizer looks very similar in consistency to the Alpyn Beauty Melt Moisturizer with Bakuchiol and Squalane 1.7 oz/ 50 mL. The serum seems a bit more universal, and something that could be used without worrying about piling on too many acids in a day (for someone with sensitive skin, anyhow). Now I’m even more excited to try it😉

@eshoe, I think you’d like the consistency is the OH serum. It doesn’t have quite the texture or viscosity of the Herbivore Bakuchiol but it’s nice and applies smoothly. 

1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 61 replies
  • 214 Hearts Given
  • 16 Contributors
Photos13
  • baku.jpg
  • BakuTexture.jpg
  • Bakuchiol.jpeg
  • 1A3933EB-A8DD-4B5A-84B7-D05451B8F5BB.jpeg
  • 86294CD1-7841-49D7-966C-1B3CA1D85653.jpeg
  • E776470A-EF97-4A7F-A73A-4FDEEAD9147A.jpeg