Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Battle of the Bakuchiols!

***UPDATE*** The newly reformulated Herbivore Bakuchiol Retinol Alternative Smoothing Serum is here!!! 🤩

There are slightly fewer ingredients, omitting jasmine flower extract, Eclipta Protrata, Moringa oleifera seed oil, and Basil Flower Extract. In addition, some ingredients have moved up/down on the list.

Original Ingredients List:

Spoiler
15871176-BFCD-4D1A-9CA8-DDFEDDE16F69.jpeg

New Reformulated Ingredients List:

Spoiler
9E011F36-4B42-4BC9-BC43-A851475CA42C.jpeg

After learning my beloved Herbivore Bakuchiol had been discontinued, I have decided to embark on a quest to find the closest and most compatible dupe for my skin, which right now is normal. 

baku.jpg

BakuTexture.jpg

Here are the contenders....

Spoiler

Biossance Squalane + Phyto-Retinol Serum,Alpyn Beauty Hydrating Sleeping Mask with Melatonin & Wild Dandelion 2.0 oz/ 59 mL , The INKEY List Bakuchiol Retinol Alternative Moisturizer 1 oz/ 30 mL, Burt's Bees Renewal Intensive Firming Serum and Mahalo's Photo-Retinoic Restoriing Night Serum. Not pictured:OLEHENRIKSEN Glow Cycle Retin-ALT Power Serum 

Ingredient List Comparison with Bakuchiol in bold for quick reference:

Spoiler
7236E68F-CF44-49EA-8387-26D4CE31227C.jpeg

4635C126-EB00-4812-A992-FF910458600F.jpeg
7E8BB449-F26F-449F-A056-F524CCD5407D.jpeg
F31D7057-1823-409E-B38B-314B2D252125.jpeg

Why do I care so much about bakuchiol 🤷🏻‍♀️

Spoiler
Retinols don’t agree with my skin. I’ve tried a few, and they leave my skin more textured overall (though my pores do appear slightly smaller). The Herbivore worked for me from the get-go. No redness, no irritation, just smoothed skin that lasted longer than the usual 1-2 hours post-mask 😄">😄 Since they discontinued the product due to sourcing issues, I’ve made it a priority to find a suitable replacement. I realize it may be a rabbit trail, but I’ll have some fun doing it, and hopefully discover an amazing new bakuchiol! 

*I am trying mainly serums. I have moisturizers with bakuchiol listed as an ingredient, but my preferred method is by serum, and also to stream-line the process. 

Re: Battle of the Bakuchiols!

You don’t need to convince me any more than you already have, @itsfi 😂

I’ll be following along! The Inkey list product, the ole henriksen product, and the Alpyn Beaty are super intriguing. Based on ingredients the biossance looks great too, but after the terrible reaction I had to the tea tree/squalene oil I have stayed away from the brand besides a DS of the eye serum (which isn’t doing much for me either). 

Oh I can't wait to try the OH, @lnum! Bummer about the Biossance. I haven't tried that particular oil, but have the BIOSSANCE - Squalane + Tea Tree Detox Maskand while it's a good product, the strong scent makes it one I don't reach for as often as I would like to.

The Alpyn has been interesting. I have this one and the Alpyn Beauty Melt Moisturizer with Bakuchiol and Squalane 1.7 oz/ 50 mLand use both a couple of times a week at least. It's interesting that the moisturizer is the one with bakuchiol touted on the label, as the sleeping mask has it higher up on the list of ingredients. The first couple of times I used them together, I noticed a physical tightening of my skin. It didn't feel dry, just tight. That doesn't happen anymore, so maybe my skin just needed to get used to it. That being said, the long list of ingredients (including some berry and fruit extracts) might be something to scan over carefully if your skin is irritated easily. Just a thought! 

@eshoe I keep hoping for a sample of the sleeping mask somewhere somehow. Sephora did a promo for the melt moisturizer  but not the sleeping mask. 

Of course it’s all dependent on what you end up discovering during the bakuchiol battle, maybe the ole henriksen is a winner, maybe not, who knows? 😁

I think even a foil sample would be enough, @lnum - hopefully they have one soon! Same with the OH, I missed out!

@eshoe oohhhhhh the olehenriksen and inkey list have my attention!

For some reason I thought you might have the OH, @lmaster, or at least tried it. I'm holding out for a DS;) 

Sounds like a plan @eshoe or another sale 😆

Good luck @eshoe I I know this has been very frustrating for you. I hope you find a suitable replacement.

Thank you, @sprocketta. It's fun at least trying!

Yes, not being able to order the Herbivore is sad!  I look forward to hearing about the battle! @eshoe 

@l8totheparty well here is to hoping for something even better 😉

Thanks for the tag, @eshoe !  I'm looking forward to your journey!  I haven't purchased much this year and bakuchiol products haven't been high enough on my list when I have.  I'll get there one day!

@Titian06 I guess I found something that works, so now it's a need 😄 I wonder if retinals work for a person, if bakuchiol wouldn't...who knows! 

@eshoe 

!!!! I wanted to tell you. When I went to Sephora this week they literally had at least 15 of the Herbivore ones. So, I’m sure if you haven’t checked the actual stores near you, they will likely have inventory. 

Oh I am so jealous, @GG84! I won't be able to head out to do any shopping for awhile, unfortunately. But it does give me hope that once I do, maybe there will be a few still hidden on the shelves. Thank you for the heads up, this is great news!

@GG84 😱

I haven’t been to a Sephora store in months, and when I did it was for a BIC event. I may have to check once NYC reopens....

@lnum 

I hadn’t either until Tuesday! I made a post about it. I drove so far to find one that was open lol I only have mall location Sephora’s close to me and all malls are closed but outdoor stores can open, so I found one. They were fully stocked on everything. 

Yes I read your post it sounds like it was a great experience. The one nearest to me is also in a mall which I am going to 100% avoid, but, there’s another freestanding store not too far I can get to within a 10 minute drive so that is a contender. I’m just weary of going anywhere in NYC at this point, so I may as well live without the herbivore bakuchiol given I’ve gotta break up with it at some point since it’s never coming back. 😢

@GG84 I was hoping that would happen. I can't wait to see...

@GG84 I was hoping that would happen. I can't wait to see if mine still has some in stock when they open back up.
1 Reply
Conversation Stats
  • 61 replies
  • 214 Hearts Given
  • 16 Contributors
Photos13
  • baku.jpg
  • BakuTexture.jpg
  • Bakuchiol.jpeg
  • 1A3933EB-A8DD-4B5A-84B7-D05451B8F5BB.jpeg
  • 86294CD1-7841-49D7-966C-1B3CA1D85653.jpeg
  • E776470A-EF97-4A7F-A73A-4FDEEAD9147A.jpeg