Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Back/Body Acne

looking for solutions to severe back acne if anyone knows any! trying to help my boyfriend out and nothing seems to work. he has a lot of scars too. if you know of any products or holy grail techniques, pls respond!

RE: Back/Body Acne

He needs to get a test for food allergies first. He might be allergic to wheat or dairy which can cause this type of acne on the chest and back.

Re: Back/Body Acne

@sjones98 It's best to treat one's back pretty much the same way as the face.  First, use a liquid cleanser.  For my face, I use FAB Pure Skin Face Cleanser.  FAB also makes a highly rated body wash, although I hear it doesn't lather a lot.  If you are looking for a less expensive alternative, Neutrogena makes some nice ones; just avoid those with menthol or fragrance.  Dove Sensitive Skin body wash is also ranked highly, and Target makes a knock-off.  Aveeno has a moisturizing one that I buy from Target in the knock-off.  Avoid bar soap!

Next, BHA can really help. Paula's Choice is the only brand I trust for BHA.  She makes one specifically for the body.  I haven't tried it, though.  I personally rec just going with the traditional one.  It comes in 1, 2, 4 and 9%.  I would start with the 2%; the gel one would be good.  I use the 9% but it expensive for what little you get, and you'll need to use a lot for the back.  BHA is best as a topical treatment; when it's in a cleanser it doesn't have enough time to sit on the skin and do its job.

Also, spot treat acne on the back like you would on the face.  A great spot treatment is Clean & Clear Persa-gel.  It has benzoyl peroxide, so use it cautiously b/c it can stain clothing and sheets.  I would use it before bed, and sleep on sheets and pajamas I don't care about.

If he is still struggling, ask your MD for Rx Differin; I don't think the OTC Differin will be strong enough.  If he still needs more help, ask his derm if he's a candidate for Retin-A.  That should work, he just needs to move slowly and moisturize.

best of luck!  🙂

Re: Back/Body Acne

Hi @sjones98,

Great question! If you have body acne, I'd recommend the Murad Acne Line which includes the Murad Body Wash and Clarifying Spray. They have Salicylic Acid to help exfoliate and fight bacteria on the skin. I recommend using both products together.

Stay Gorgeous,

Penelope

Conversation Stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
testing