Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Anything like Good Genes??

Are there any products that give the same luxury experience of good genes? I have plenty of aha in my routine, so I would be open to any product/moisturizers that has a similar feel/effect on the skin with a great scent! I love the feel that it gives overnight and the next day but not the price. Looking for anything that compares. Thanks!

Re: Anything like Good Genes??

@HardterK What about THE INKEY LIST - Lactic Acid Serum?

@HardterK  the winning ingredient in Good Genes is lactic acid.  You won’t get the same scent but you can just buy lactic acid from The Ordinary and use that for a fraction of the price.   

The Ordinary Lactic Acid 10% + HA 2% Exfoliating Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL

Another great product is the Biossance Squalane + 10% Lactic Acid Resurfacing Serum 1.01 oz / 30 mL

Since you mentioned the feel overnight, I looked exclusively for night serums (Good Genes' formulation was a serum). The first product at a price of $72, labeled "clean by Sephora" KORA Organics Noni Night AHA Pore & Resurfacing Serum 1.01 oz/ 30 mL targets pores, fine lines and wrinkles. It contains Lactic Acid which is a key ingredient in Good Genes and as you can probably guess from the name, you can apply it overnight.This product contains lots of fragrance ingredients such as "Citronellol**Farnesol**Geraniol**Linalool**Limonene**" and I found two reviews that mentioned the scent. One was from rookie "gguiliano" who stated "It has a somewhat peppery aroma, not too unpleasant." and the other was from rookie "lindabet" who said "the smell is amazing and you can feel it working". 

The second product,DR. BRANDT SKINCARE - 2% Retinol Complex Serum costs $69 and targets fine lines and wrinkles, dullness and uneven texture. It does not contain lactic acid, but boasts a Two-percent retinol complex. It is described as being a "potent time-released serum" which has varied effects on users based on the reviews. "lydiamartini" said "more drying than being baked in the desert sun". Multiple reviews described the serum "(light) yellow" and having an unusual smell. "dear lord, this stuff smells like something died"(superfit) and "it has a weird smell but not terrible" (TMcgill).

Last, but not least OLEHENRIKSEN Invigorating Night Transformation™ Gel 1.0 oz/ 30 mL, the cheapest product I found at $38 and labeled "clean by Sephora". "An age-fighting night serum with potent AHAs" that targets dark spots, dullness and uneven skin texture, and fine lines and wrinkles. This product does contain Lactic Acid (the ingredient boasted by Good Genes) as well as Microalgae which softens and conditions the skin. I didn't find any reviews that mentioned the scent which based on the ingredient list is not surprising since only "Fragrance and Citrus Limon (Lemon) Fruit Extract" was listed. Now I'm not sure how effective it is since half of the reviews deemed it "ok" or "decent" (three stars) while the other half praised it (four/five stars) saying, "it works" and "a revelation". Someone actually mentioned that they used it when searching for something to replace Good Genes since it was so expensive. This is the conclusion of their review, "I kid you not 48hrs later all my tiny pimples were GONE. Two weeks later my face is baby smooth?? I mean wow. Truly a revelation"(spend2muchhere).

I hope this helps, I tried not to put my opinion in there. That's the kind of person I am (type-A personality right here). I wish you the best of luck! I have Clearya as a google chrome extension for shopping on Sephora and Amazon. It analyzes ingredients list for cosmetics and has a color coded system so its easy to understand. The only thing is that some products don't list their full ingredient lists. they just have the "key ingredients", thats when I always think twice about ordering something. 

All things in love.

@HardterK 

I went on a journey to find a GG replacement and there just isn’t one IMO. I tried FARMACY - HONEYMOON GLOW AHA Resurfacing Night Serum with Hydrating Honey + Gentle Flower Acids the scent is terrible and the product is causing me a reaction. I tried just using The Ordinary Lactic Acid 10% + HA 2% Exfoliating Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL and it did nothing for me. I will be going back to GG as soon as stores open. 

4 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 13 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing