Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Aging oily skin with blackheads at 59

I need some recommendations!  I am 59 and still get blackheads.  My skin is dulling, and I have to use exfoliating cleansers but still have the blackheads.  They aren't the same as those of my youth, either - they are long-lasting bumps.  It's not that my facial skin is all that sensitive.  I don't get much acne, per se.  Not many wrinkles yet, either. 

I just don't know how to handle this.  

Re: Aging oily skin with blackheads at 59

Let me tell you what gets my blackheads GONE!! DERMAFLASH DERMAPORE Ultrasonic Pore Extractor & Serum Infuser Icy Pink @thriftysoul this is worth every cent!! You get your skin wet, then wherever the blackheads are, with one hand you will hold your skin taut and with your other hand angle the device and push it over the blackhead,,, they come right out

Hi. I'm 49 and have spent the better part of the last year trying to solve for the same thing. For some context, I don't wear much makeup and I have slightly delicate skin. After menopause I had to blow up my skincare routine completly and start over. I hope this helps a little. The trick for me was balancing everything so it wasn't too drying/stripping or too oily/heavy. I have dry to combo skin. 

Cleanser: Farmacy Clean Bee

Toner: Farmacy Deep Sweep (once a day). 

Exfoliate: Lush Angels on Bare Skin (it's the only exfoliating product I've ever been able to use. I'll mix it with the Farmacy cleanser sometimes too. I use this probably 3-4 times a week and it got rid of those bumps you mentioned.

Serum/Day: I use a hydrating rose oil I get from Imperfect Foods - not sure if there's a equivalent out there but the ingredients are shown below.

Serum/Night: PUR Cosmetics Ceretin Serum

Moisturizer/Day: PUR Cosmetics Get a Lift

Moisturizer/Night: PUR Cosmetics Submerge or the Ceretin Serum + the Rose oil.

I've also been very happy with the PUR masks and makeup. I really wish that PUR was sold at Sephora.

I know this sounds like a lot but if you're using a variety of products they do last longer so there's that (at least that's what I tell myself). Good luck!

shelca_0-1623512016467.png

@thriftysoul Have you tried BHA?

Not yet.  There may be some in a serum or two I've tried, but I haven't used it as a specific primary ingredient.

@thriftysoul Paula's Choice is the only BHA I swear by.  I started with their 2% (Sephora sells their liquid version) and loved it so much I now use Paula's Choice Skin Perfecting BHA 9 Treatment 0.3 oz/ 9 mL .  I use it every day.

I also rec a gentle liquid cleanser.  I really like First Aid Beauty Pure Skin Face Cleanser .

Clay masks can also be helpful.  My favorite is innisfree Pore Clearing Clay Mask 3.38 oz/ 100 mL  I use it three times a week.

Oil blotting sheets can also be helpful in keeping oiliness decreased, and therefore decreasing blackheads.  I like the Target ones.  Niacinamide can also help control oil.  I like Skincare Revolution London's 15% niacinamide, which Ulta just recently starting carrying again.  Sephora sells The INKEY List Niacinamide Oil Control Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL which is also good; I just prefer the packaging on the Skincare Revolution.

If you're finding that you're still struggling, ask your derm if you are a candidate for Retin-A.  Good luck!  Tag me if you have any other questions 🙂

Oh my goodness, thank you for all this information!  I'll be trying some of your recommendations.

3 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 7 Hearts Given
  • 4 Contributors
Photos1
  • shelca_0-1623512016467.png
testing