Free Classes

Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Acne treatments for really sensitive skin?

I'm 14 and have oily skin. I need a new acne treatment because I get a lot of acne in between my eyebrows and on my nose. (I currently have a rlly big one on my nose) I used the Walgreens 10% Benzoyl Peroxide Treatment Gel, but it was wayyy too irritating. I can't use Cerave Sa Cleanser everyday, I have to use it every other day at night to prevent any irritation! I was wondering if there would be a better alternative for really sensitive skin? 😅

Re: Acne treatments for really sensitive skin?

Hi @Maachi ! In addition to your salicylic acid (BHA) cleanser, consider an azelaic acid leave-in product like Paula's Choice 10% Azelaic Acid Booster 1 oz/ 30 mL (also contains 0.5% BHA) or The Ordinary Azelaic Acid 10% Suspension Brightening Cream 1 oz/ 30 mL . Azelaic acid works well on acne and helps reduce any dark marks acne leaves behind. It’s also an antioxidant, so it helps protect your skin from environmental pollutants. You can use it as a spot treatment or apply to your whole face (except your eye area), once or twice a day. 

Azelaic acid might make your skin a bit itchy the first few times you use it. I have fairly sensitive and very reactive/inflammation-prone skin, and I alternate both those products I tagged. When I first started using them, my face itched but didn’t sting or burn, turn red, or rash or welt up. The itchiness lasted 15 minutes after application. Within 3 weeks, my skin got used to azelaic acid and now fully tolerates it (no itchiness). 

You can also try sulfur as a spot treatment. It’s stinky, but it can treat acne—though for me, not as well as azelaic acid and BHA. There’s Sunday Riley Saturn Sulfur + Niacinamide Spot Treatment Mask 0.5 oz/ 15 mL but also check your local drugstore for a sulfur cleansing bar or leave-on product. 

The Ordinary Azelaic Acid 10% Suspension Brightening Cream 1 oz/ 30 mL is definitely something I wanted to try for quite some while! I guess this is my cue to buy it! 😁

If the benzoyl peroxide was too irritating, but your skin responds well to salicylic acid, @Maachi you may want to consider just using a salicylic acid spot treatment on pimples alongside your cleanser and moisturizer. My favorite is CLINIQUE Mini Acne Solutions™ Clinical Clearing Gel 0.5 oz/ 15 mL 

I have very sensitive acne prone skin and Youth To The People Superfood Gentle Antioxidant Refillable Cleanser  works great for me. I alternate between this cleanser and panoxyl when I need to. I also double cleanse starting with a creamier or oil base cleanser and then my youth to the people cleanser  afterwards. Hope this helps!

Thank you so much! I'll definitely check it out! 

I do this too. I would definitely recommend. 

6 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 Hearts Given
  • 5 Contributors
testing