Get inspired, play with products & learn new skills

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

Accutane

I’m now coming to the end of my accutane treatment and my skin has gone from excessively oily to dry/normal skin. Does anyone have any recommendations on face washes, hydrating serums, moisturizers, etc?

Re: Accutane

Hi MaliCali,

I know exactly where you are coming from! I have done three rounds of Accutane and while I love the magic that it works, the dehydrated and flaky state it can sometimes leave your skin in can seem almost as desperate as breakouts....Some products that I really relied on and have high praises for to bring my skin back are:

DR. JART+ - Ceramidin™ Cream

The main concerns this cream works for are dry and dehydrated skin. It is a moisturizing cream supercharged with 5-Cera Complex to strengthen the skin barrier and shield from water and moisture loss. I found that a little bit goes a long way and it seriously brought my skin back to a much happier state within about a week. 

Dr. Jart's Ceramindin Facial Mask: https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/ceramidin-tm-facial-mask-P434362?icid2=products%20grid:p434362:product

This product is like a holy grail! It is soooooo luxuriously moisturizing and leaves your skin feeling so fresh, hydrated, dewy and soft! When i'm feeling extra dehydrated this is a go to for sure! I actually tend to work one into my routine at least once a week and the difference is super noticeable even after the one use.

Fresh Vitamin Nectar Glow Juice

https://www.sephora.com/ca/en/product/vitamin-nectar-glow-juice-antioxidant-face-serum-P450210?icid2=products%20grid:p450210

This is a product that I only started using in October. First off, it smells delightful! Yes, it is a very small bottle for a bit of a higher price, but it is worth every penny. I use this product every morning after washing my skin and using toner, but before my moisturizer. It really helps to give your skin a bit more moisture and brings back that bright dewy look we all wish we just had naturally. 

FRESH - Rose Deep Hydration Moisturizer

I switch between this moisturizer and one from origins (see below) every morning. I find this is a very lightweight but intense moisturizer that leaves my skin feeling hydrated and smooth. A must have for sure!

#dr.and

This is the other moisturizer that I use most mornings. It is very light, moisturizing and like all the other products I have recommended, it is not greasy and leaves your skin feeling hydrated, smooth and fresh. Highly recommend. 

I hope you find some respite and hydration for your skin soon!!!!

Tags:

Re: Accutane

Hi @MaliCali! It's very common for people to experience significant dryness when on or completing Accutane. Here are some products that you might be interested in trying. I find them to be gentle but it will all depend on your skin. If there are products you are using that you like, I’d recommend continuing on with them and slowly incorporating one new product at a time, giving yourself a couple to a few weeks between new products so you can see how your skin responds to it and adjust accordingly.

I’m a fan of double cleansing in the evenings and would recommend Tatcha The Camellia Oil 2-in-1 Makeup Remover & Cleanser 5.1 oz/ 150 mL and Cerave Hydrating Facial Cleanser (can be found at Target, Ulta, and other drugstores). Either would be fine as well if double cleansing is not something for you.

If (or when) your skin can handle it (and coming off of Accutane, it might be a while), I’d introduce an exfoliant or acid into your routine. A couple of gentle but effective ones worth considering are AMOREPACIFIC - Treatment Enzyme Peel Cleansing Powder or FIRST AID BEAUTY - Facial Radiance Pads. Instructions for both say that you can use either on a daily basis and I’ve done that, but if you are just coming off of Accutane, I’d wait some time before reaching for an exfoliant or scrub.

Layering hydrating products is one of the best things for my dehydrated-dry skin. A hydrating combination that I’ve found works well for my skin is to apply Drunk Elephant B-Hydra™ Intensive Hydration Serum with Hyaluronic Acid 1.69 oz/ 50 mLfirst, followed by a hydrating/moisturizing moisturizer – BELIF - The True Cream Moisturizing Bomb (there's another one that is in similar packaging - the aqua bomb - but the moisturizing bomb is geared towards those with normal to dry skin), Drunk Elephant Lala Retro™ Nourishing Whipped Refillable Moisturizer 1.69 oz/ 50 mL or DR. JART+ - Ceramidin™ Cream are all great. The Drunk Elephant Hydra Serum is on the pricey side; a hydrating serum at a better price point worth looking into is The INKEY List Hyaluronic Acid (HA) Hydrating Face Serum 1 oz/ 30 mL.

Oils are my winter dry skin skincare savior. I will either press a couple of drops into my skin after the moisturizer or I’ll add a couple of drops to my moisturizer before applying to my face. The Ordinary 100% Organic Cold-Pressed Rose Hip Seed Oil 1 oz/ 30 mL is one of my favorite oils. Other good ones you might like are tarte Mini Maracuja Oil 0.5 oz/ 15 mL, Drunk Elephant Mini Virgin Marula Luxury Face Oil 0.5 oz/ 15 mL or BIOSSANCE - Squalane + Vitamin C Rose Oil.

That's usually enough hydrating and moisturizing products for me, but if you are finding you need even more, applying an overnight or sleeping mask over the rest of your skincare might be worthwhile - belif Aqua Bomb Sleeping Mask 2.53 oz/ 75 mLor Youth To The People Superberry Hydrate + Glow Dream Night Cream + Mask with Vitamin C 2 oz / 59 ml. FRESH - Rose Deep Hydration Sleeping Maskis also a nice one.

2 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 2 replies
  • 4 Hearts Given
  • 3 Contributors
testing