cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

ARCHIVE - 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge! - PART 1

Please join us on Part II of this year’s challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-II/m-p/5433327/...

Welcome to a new year of masking adventures! ***The second half of the year thread will be up June 28th (or earlier), thank you for the suggestion @heartsmyface, @Kim888 & @quspork!***  

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread and giving us a place to share our love for masks💗 Below is the 2020 schedule. Post as frequently or infrequently as you would like, with or without following the challenge. We love hearing about every masking experience, and suggestions are always welcome. Looking forward to sharing some new masking 💖 with you all this year!

tenor

This Week’s Theme: Masking Duel - Dare to compare 2 (or more!) masks in one session

Letters of the Week: “Z” and “A”

Spoiler
Jan 1 - Jan 5A & ZMask Stash Clean-Out! Finish those masks before they expire.l8totheparty/ShortErica
Jan 6 - 12B & YMasks that Make you Hungryitsfi
Jan 13 - 19C & XFavourite Mask in your regular routine - What do you buy in bulk, so you always have it on hand in case of masking emergency?itsfi
Jan 20 - 26D & WClean Week - Masks that give your skin a boost without the guilteshoe
Jan 27 - Feb 2E & VTransportation Masking
@lmaster/@ShortErica/@missjeanie
Feb 3 - 9F & U

Best fitting mask - Mask that best fits your facial featuresPrettyPaint
Feb 10 - 16G & TSpecial Occasion Masks - the mask(s) you use to pamper yourselfitsfi
Feb 17 - 23H & SGross Masks - whether it's the scent or results, share the details please!Aaliaa
Feb 24 - Mar 1I & RSnubbed It: Masks you don't want to use & are continually passed overShortErica
Mar 2 - 8J & QFemale Owned Brands - In honour of Women's Day March 8thAaliaa
Mar 9 - 15K & PMasks Good Enough to Eat
heartsmyface
Mar 16 - 22L & OSample that made you buy the FS - You tried it, and decided to buy it!itsfi
Mar 23 - 29M & NFavourite Smelling Masks - Watermelon, Kale, Spa?? 
Mar 30 - Apr 5N & MMask While You Task
l8totheparty
Apr 6 - 12O & LMost Outrageous Mask ClaimsShortErica
Apr 13 - 19P & KHi-Lo Week: Mix or duel of $$$$ and $ masks 
Apr 20 - 26Q & JSample Dive - I know we have them!Aaliaa
Apr 27 - May 3R & ITargeted Skin Concern - Mask to address a current skin issuePrettyPaint
May 4 -10S & HOvernight Masks - Sleeping miracles in a jar 
May 11 - 17T & GMask with a PartnerAlphaboo
May 18 - 24U & FVitamins Week - masks that nourish your skin with vitamins and mineralskim888
May 25 - 31V & EBest/Cutest Printed MaskShosh85
Jun 1 - 7W & DMask that best describes your personality or moodPrettyPaint
Jun 8 - 14X & CFruits & Veggies Week - masks that use natural goodness to nourish your skinKeana1
Jun 15 - 21Y & BForgotten Wonders - Shop your stash for an unloved mask
missjeannie
Jun 22 - 28Z & AMasking Duel - Dare to compare 2 (or more!) masks in one sessioneshoe
Jun 29 - Jul 5A & ZMasking Pet Peeves - use a mask that has some component that drives you crazy!ShortErica
Jul 6 - 12B & YMasking Hacks - share your masking secrets that make your life easier and your skin happyeshoe
Jul13 - 19C & XLip, Hand or Foot Masks to help that summer skin 
Jul 20 - 26D & W’Weird Mask' Bubbling, Peeling, Colour changing other worldly wonders!Aalia
Jul 27 - Aug 2E & VMulti-Masking How many masks can you use at one time or in One Day?? 
Aug 3 - 9F & U Blind Pick Your Mask - Let's make it fun to use the masks in our stash!veronika23
Aug 10 - 16G & T
Sheet Mask Focus - from cotton to cupra, coconut gel to bio cellulose, what are your favorites and why?

Aug 17 - 23H & SDrugstore & Grocery Brands Weekeshoe
Aug 24 - 30I & R3-Step Masks/Multi-Step Masks
heartsmyface
Aug 31 - Sep 6J & QRainbow Week - Bring out the colorful masks in every hueSonnydee
Sep 7 - 13K & PAutumn Masks - Fall goodness in a mask 
Sep 14 - 20L & OWhen you are getting GLAM for a night out and want that inner GLOW 
Sep 21 - 27M & N BIC Made you do it! Masks recommended/inspired by other BIC members 
Sep 28 - Oct 4N & MSephora Collections Week - House Brand Goodness 
Oct 5 - 11O & LMasks that Make you Hungry - Fall/Winter Editionitsfi
Oct 12 - 18P & KForgotten Wonders - Shop your stash for an unloved mask 
Oct 19 - 25Q & JOvernight Masks - Sleeping miracles in a jar 
Oct 26 - Nov 1R & IMasking Duel Week II 
Nov 2 - 8S & HBuddy Up! Dare to compare the same mask with another BIC-ereshoe
Nov 9 - 15T & GGross/Odd/Unusual Ingredients - Spirulina, donkey milk, bee venom, snail mucous - what masks have you used that have strange ingredients?Aaliaa
Nov 16 - 22U & FFlash Masks - masks that do doubly duty in half the timeeshoe
Nov 23 - 29V & EMorning Masking - Masks that help give a pep to your step 
Nov 30 - Dec 6W & DMask that would make a good band name (kinda silly, I know)PrettyPaint
Dec 7 - 13X & CHoliday Party Prep Mask 
Dec 14 - 20Y & BMost Artistic Sheet MaskKim888
Dec 21 - 27Z & AFavourite Masks of All-Timeitsfi
Dec 28 - 31123Masks you discovered this year

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler
To Post:
Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, if it's an exfoliating mask (include acid info if known), your overall experience, and whether or not you would repurchase. Don't forget to include a grade (thanks to @ShortErica for the idea) to help others along the way.

Most importantly, have fun and merry masking!

Mask Hacks - Here are a few to get started thanks to our lovely BIC-ers, a big thank you for these fabulous ideas!
Spoiler

Trim off long chin and add to forehead for sheet masks

itsfi

Squeeze tube lip balms (like Bite) into pans and place in magnetic palette

sonnydee

Layer lip sleeping mask (such as Laneige) over regular balm

cianni

Derma plane prior to a peel-off mask to ease the pain of removal

heartsmyface

Warm water helps remove clay masks quicker than cold

cianni

Lay sheet masks flat prior to use so the serum is more evenly distributed 

eshoe 

Remove clay/difficult masks in the shower to keep towel clean and removal easy

itsfi/BIC

Use an HA serum prior to trying a mask with alcohol high on the ingredients list

keana1

Use a Makeup Eraser to remove wash-off masks

lmaster

With a detox mask, apply a thicker layer where pores are

Ather

Use a resurfacing exfoliating spray (such as Kate Somerville’s Liquid ExfoliKate) before a detox mask to better clear out your pores

Miamia27

Re-use a large sample jar for a blank sheet mask pellet and fill it with essence/toner

Itsfi

Use a nail clippers to trip a mask if scissors are not on hand

ShortErica

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:
https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...
2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125 

NEW!!! Got an idea for next year's challenge? Let me know! Was there a challenge you'd rather not repeat? Share below, so we can start building the 2021 schedule:

Spoiler

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge! - PART 1

Dare to compare Urang 22E5D027-FF8B-4DE4-96D4-04894FF0ACD1.jpeg

960ED64D-7B77-40CB-9F6E-44AE636518AE.jpeg

Spoiler
I tried the rose and fresh version of the Urang masks this week. 

I definitely preferred the Rose version. Both masks had a soft cotton feel. Even after leaving the serum in for a while, I didn’t feel like either mask ended up particularly well saturated - they definitely dried out after about 10 minutes on my face.

Both masks were heavily scented. I really did not enjoy the scent on the blue one - I think maybe it’s the cica as an ingredient but it was a weird sort of not earthy and not medicinal but something else , the pink scent was more floral which was nice. 

The blue version claimed To be calming and healing. I don’t really feel like it did anything for my skin either way.

the pink version claimed to be hydrating and brightening. I did find it hydrating, but not particularly brightening  

Both masks had fairly good absorption - they were non tacky. Fit was a bit large but overall good 

Overall I thought the rose version was superior, but I don’t feel the need to go out and buy either again 

@Kim888, I agree these didn’t last for as long as other sheet masks; i was able to get more time with them on, and i did like them. Sorry these didn’t work out for you.

@Kim888 it is a cute packaging design! Sorry they weren't very impressive

Interesting package design @Kim888. Was there a lot of excess serum in the package or was it mostly on the mask? Sorry about them drying out and not performing well.

@ShortErica @There was some extra but I left it in there for about 10 minutes so I’m not sure how much more it would have absorbed 

Hmm..I was hoping there might be a small trick to help it but yeah, it sounds like you tried and that's how the mask is @Kim888 🤷‍♀️

@Kim888  Ooooh, fun duel! Too bad the Fresh one was unimpressive! These are the type of masks I'd buy based on the packaging- they are so pretty! Glad the Rose one turned out decent despite it drying out early 🌹😃

Oh wow, a mask drying out 10 minutes into it is definitely a pet peeve of mine, @Kim888. I wonder if these were anywhere near expiration? That is such a let-down, sorry to hear! 

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge! - PART 1

A for Annie's Way. Grape Fit?Not bad, it has a backing & that scared me- it only had a slit for the mouth & the eyes were too small but luckily after removing the backing. the mask was normal. phew! 😁 Smell?like grape soda Consistency?clear serum, thin, somewhat runny but didnt have any drips when the mask was on Ease of use?ok. multi tasked without trouble Would I  purchase/try again?definitely & im glad I bought all the Annie's Way masks I could find. Serum soaked in without tack & my skin is nice & soft🍇🍇🍇🍇🍇

@sonnydee ahhhh grape soda goodness 

Oh that sounds great @sonnydee - I love grape masks!

Grape soda, @sonnydee? Sounds like a great mask all around!36EBC97D-97B6-4D96-93A2-EC50357F2175.jpeg

@sonnydee  I'm so happy these are all turning out so great! This one sounds wonderful- and Grape soda scent sounds delicious! Can't wait to try them all! 🍇

Woo! Thursday night posting. It's like a party. My husband is fishing and the boys have been in bed. I took a bath and pampered myself and now I'm finally making time to post about masks. Spoilering (that's a word right?) for length.

Spoiler
Best/Cutest Printed Animal mask (V&E) - I went with some animal masks
Spoiler
First up I went with the Cica-mend Animal mask that the lovely @Shosh85 sent me
20200526_113042.jpg20200526_113047.jpg
Spoiler
My face
Spoiler
20200526_114331.jpgI'm a tiger!I'm a tiger!
This was a cotton mask with a fine fit. It didn't lay flat around my chin though. The design is super cute. I wore it for 20 minutes then used it on my neck. It was very wet after removing. I dig cica stuff - it generally does great things for the redness I can get on my chin and nose. This did that too. It even helped reduce the look of a blemish on my nose. It did have medium tackiness but after using moisturizer it was fine. There was some extra serum for the face that I used the next day. A-. I'd be a tiger again for sure!
Next I paired with @Shosh85 to do the Pretty Animalz Unicorn mask that I snatched up for Masks on the Move
20200527_193347.jpg20200527_193352.jpg
Spoiler
My face
Spoiler
20200527_194831.jpg
Shosh was totally reading my mind when she posted her review. I kept debating is the scent fruity? Is the scent floral? Like the taco commercial "Por que no los dos!" It did have both of them. It was a medium cotton mask. I cut it near the ears of the mask to overlap for an okay fit. It was a good length and width once cut. It is another cute mask but I felt more tiger. I wore 20-25 minutes. It was still very moist. It was a little tacky but faded and went away with moisturizer. I used the extra serum on my neck. My skin looked nice - even and bright and was soft. I think I prefer the cica mask but this was good and I'll give it a B+.
Masks that describe your personality or mood (W&D)
Spoiler
I went with the W&D theme this week and started with Dr. Jart's Tiger Grass Nightly Re.Pair Mask that @missjeanie sent me (I also have a 2nd one from @Shosh85 to try again 🙂 )
20200602_225707.jpg20200602_225712.jpg
Spoiler
No picture. This had a very distinct scent. Super thick texture - I should have taken notes on how to describe it as opposed to relying on memory. It absorbed nicely maybe after 15 minutes. The next morning my face did look even. I'm glad I have another one to try because my memory is failing me. It was enjoyable but I don't think a wow. A-.
Next I went with Elmolu White Silk-Up mask which was shared with me from @eshoe
20200605_125159.jpg20200605_125205.jpg
Spoiler
My face
Spoiler
First appliedFirst appliedAfter bubblingAfter bubbling
I LOVE bubbles in drinks. I try to do carbonated water vs. pop (or soda). Anyway, though I enjoy bubbles there, I'm not as big of a fan of them in skincare. This mask really didn't bubble up but it still managed to tickle my nose during wear. It had a light floral scent. It was a decent fit though a bit wide. I wore it for 20 minutes. My face was still wet after removing the mask. When I massaged in the serum it bubbled up again. It left kind of residue on my face. Was I supposed to rinse it? I applied moisturizer and it felt nice. My skin was very radiant - this is what stood out the most. With not crazy bubbles and those results, I'll say A-.
Fruit and Veggies Week (X&C)
Spoiler
I only got around to doing two strawberry masks and both were from @missjeanie. She's been so generous with sharing masks and treats.
First was a Kocostar Strawberry Slice mask
20200610_195509.jpg20200610_195515.jpg
Spoiler
My face
Spoiler
20200610_201238.jpg
I got an artificial strawberry scent, maybe kinda floral. I just am not a slices person and would prefer a regular sheet. The slices started to get dry in some areas by 10 minutes and only a bit moist when I removed them at 15 minutes. There was a medium tackiness when immediately removed that faded in about 5 minutes and completely disappeared with moisturizer. I do feel these leave the slice spots very moisturized and my skin looked bright and good. I'm glad I can try some different slices but don't have a whole box. B.
Next was the Creme Shop Clear Up, Skin! that has strawberry milk
20200612_123838.jpg20200612_123845.jpg
Spoiler
My face
Spoiler
20200612_124829.jpg
I didn't mind being a unicorn again. This had a cute design. The scent did remind me of an artificial kind of strawberry milk but was fine. It had a good fit except the philtrum area was skimpy. I wore for 20 minutes and it was so moist after. I wore it on my neck for another 10. Holy tack! This is the most tacky mask I've had in recent memory or even in all my masking memory. Even after applying moisturizer it still had some tack. I liked the ingredients like centella asiatica and my skin looked even. I just can't get past the amount of tack and it not going away with moisturizer. B-.
Forgotten Wonders (Y&B)
Spoiler
Well it arrived one day late for Fruit and Veggies week but I had to immediately try the Sephora Pineapple masks I was sent in gratis
20200615_211343.jpg20200615_211346.jpg
Spoiler
My face
Spoiler
20200615_213906.jpg
So this is the first Sephora sheet mask I've tried so I can't compare it to the previous version. It had a nice thin material. It smelled of pineapple and only went smelling really closely did I get a bit of a perfume vibe along with the pineapple. It was smooshable and a decent fit but I decided to cute between the philtrum and chin to make a closer overlap. Who am I with all this cutting recently? I wore 20 minutes (directions say 5) cause I'm a rebel or more likely because I want to get most of the serum to absorb and not be thrown in the trash. I folded the mask and wore it on my neck as well and then wore it on my decolletege because it was still moist. There was no tack. I did notice some redness on my nose and cheeks but passed it off as being in the sun until @Samtian said her face turned red with a different version. Otherwise it was okay results in terms of having moisturized and soft skin. My original grade was A-/B+ but I'd be curious to see if redness would happen again or if I'm partially to blame for not following directions. It was enjoyable but I don't know I'd pay the price if I can get $1-2 masks at Marshalls. Like I'd buy to experiment about the redness but not to have a stash of them.
My last mask to catch up on it the BetterSkin Detoxifying Sheet Mask. I feel like @eshoe has generously shared this one with a lot of us and I was excited to try
20200619_104231.jpg20200619_104238.jpg
Spoiler
My face
Spoiler
20200619_131207.jpg
This is a very thin biocellulose mask. I do feel a bit bad about two covers and waste but it was such a wonderful texture. It has a good fit and the cuts allowed overlap where needed. The smell was lemon like the type of lemon with or in tea. I wore for 25 minutes. My skin looked nice and I had no tack. It did help with my sleep lines too. I was able to use the extra serum on my face two different times. Great mask but the scent makes it not quite A territory for me, more like an A-.

Sigh...breathe in, breathe out. I'm caught up. And then maybe I can catch up on my empties. One thing at a time and masks are priority.

This week I'm pushing myself to get out of my only 2 masks a week rut. Duel of the bada$$ Oozoo bears coming up. Gotta do all 3, right? Hopefully posting soon! I missed being twins with so many people during animal mask week. I loved seeing all the adorable faces!

You used some cute masks @ShortErica . What a cutie!

Thanks @emaisgr8!

So glad you can at least pamper yourself!! @ShortErica hope you are staying well! ♥️

I hope I'm making good decisions for the boys @lmaster. We are healthy but it is odd not doing normal things. The boys haven't seen a grocery store in forever and we've only taken them out on an errand maybe twice with their little masks. A little stir crazy but that seems to be how it is.

@ShortErica oh yeah and I did take them to the lake a few times, I can't help it,,, I know everything is so controversial right now,,, but where I live, not many people at all were around, and we basically had it to ourselves there too

@ShortErica yeah my two boys have not been much of anywhere until recently, we went to the zoo, you have to reserve a 3 hour time slot with masks, marked paths and couldn't go inside where the snakes and monkeys were, but at least it was some fun! It felt like we had the zoo all to ourselves

We have zoo passes too and now that the move is mostly done I'd like to take our boys. I guess I understand the protocol and I'm glad it felt like you had it to yourselves @lmaster

testing