cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

ARCHIVE - 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge! - PART 1

Please join us on Part II of this year’s challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-II/m-p/5433327/...

Welcome to a new year of masking adventures! ***The second half of the year thread will be up June 28th (or earlier), thank you for the suggestion @heartsmyface, @Kim888 & @quspork!***  

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread and giving us a place to share our love for masks💗 Below is the 2020 schedule. Post as frequently or infrequently as you would like, with or without following the challenge. We love hearing about every masking experience, and suggestions are always welcome. Looking forward to sharing some new masking 💖 with you all this year!

tenor

This Week’s Theme: Masking Duel - Dare to compare 2 (or more!) masks in one session

Letters of the Week: “Z” and “A”

Spoiler
Jan 1 - Jan 5A & ZMask Stash Clean-Out! Finish those masks before they expire.l8totheparty/ShortErica
Jan 6 - 12B & YMasks that Make you Hungryitsfi
Jan 13 - 19C & XFavourite Mask in your regular routine - What do you buy in bulk, so you always have it on hand in case of masking emergency?itsfi
Jan 20 - 26D & WClean Week - Masks that give your skin a boost without the guilteshoe
Jan 27 - Feb 2E & VTransportation Masking
@lmaster/@ShortErica/@missjeanie
Feb 3 - 9F & U

Best fitting mask - Mask that best fits your facial featuresPrettyPaint
Feb 10 - 16G & TSpecial Occasion Masks - the mask(s) you use to pamper yourselfitsfi
Feb 17 - 23H & SGross Masks - whether it's the scent or results, share the details please!Aaliaa
Feb 24 - Mar 1I & RSnubbed It: Masks you don't want to use & are continually passed overShortErica
Mar 2 - 8J & QFemale Owned Brands - In honour of Women's Day March 8thAaliaa
Mar 9 - 15K & PMasks Good Enough to Eat
heartsmyface
Mar 16 - 22L & OSample that made you buy the FS - You tried it, and decided to buy it!itsfi
Mar 23 - 29M & NFavourite Smelling Masks - Watermelon, Kale, Spa?? 
Mar 30 - Apr 5N & MMask While You Task
l8totheparty
Apr 6 - 12O & LMost Outrageous Mask ClaimsShortErica
Apr 13 - 19P & KHi-Lo Week: Mix or duel of $$$$ and $ masks 
Apr 20 - 26Q & JSample Dive - I know we have them!Aaliaa
Apr 27 - May 3R & ITargeted Skin Concern - Mask to address a current skin issuePrettyPaint
May 4 -10S & HOvernight Masks - Sleeping miracles in a jar 
May 11 - 17T & GMask with a PartnerAlphaboo
May 18 - 24U & FVitamins Week - masks that nourish your skin with vitamins and mineralskim888
May 25 - 31V & EBest/Cutest Printed MaskShosh85
Jun 1 - 7W & DMask that best describes your personality or moodPrettyPaint
Jun 8 - 14X & CFruits & Veggies Week - masks that use natural goodness to nourish your skinKeana1
Jun 15 - 21Y & BForgotten Wonders - Shop your stash for an unloved mask
missjeannie
Jun 22 - 28Z & AMasking Duel - Dare to compare 2 (or more!) masks in one sessioneshoe
Jun 29 - Jul 5A & ZMasking Pet Peeves - use a mask that has some component that drives you crazy!ShortErica
Jul 6 - 12B & YMasking Hacks - share your masking secrets that make your life easier and your skin happyeshoe
Jul13 - 19C & XLip, Hand or Foot Masks to help that summer skin 
Jul 20 - 26D & W’Weird Mask' Bubbling, Peeling, Colour changing other worldly wonders!Aalia
Jul 27 - Aug 2E & VMulti-Masking How many masks can you use at one time or in One Day?? 
Aug 3 - 9F & U Blind Pick Your Mask - Let's make it fun to use the masks in our stash!veronika23
Aug 10 - 16G & T
Sheet Mask Focus - from cotton to cupra, coconut gel to bio cellulose, what are your favorites and why?

Aug 17 - 23H & SDrugstore & Grocery Brands Weekeshoe
Aug 24 - 30I & R3-Step Masks/Multi-Step Masks
heartsmyface
Aug 31 - Sep 6J & QRainbow Week - Bring out the colorful masks in every hueSonnydee
Sep 7 - 13K & PAutumn Masks - Fall goodness in a mask 
Sep 14 - 20L & OWhen you are getting GLAM for a night out and want that inner GLOW 
Sep 21 - 27M & N BIC Made you do it! Masks recommended/inspired by other BIC members 
Sep 28 - Oct 4N & MSephora Collections Week - House Brand Goodness 
Oct 5 - 11O & LMasks that Make you Hungry - Fall/Winter Editionitsfi
Oct 12 - 18P & KForgotten Wonders - Shop your stash for an unloved mask 
Oct 19 - 25Q & JOvernight Masks - Sleeping miracles in a jar 
Oct 26 - Nov 1R & IMasking Duel Week II 
Nov 2 - 8S & HBuddy Up! Dare to compare the same mask with another BIC-ereshoe
Nov 9 - 15T & GGross/Odd/Unusual Ingredients - Spirulina, donkey milk, bee venom, snail mucous - what masks have you used that have strange ingredients?Aaliaa
Nov 16 - 22U & FFlash Masks - masks that do doubly duty in half the timeeshoe
Nov 23 - 29V & EMorning Masking - Masks that help give a pep to your step 
Nov 30 - Dec 6W & DMask that would make a good band name (kinda silly, I know)PrettyPaint
Dec 7 - 13X & CHoliday Party Prep Mask 
Dec 14 - 20Y & BMost Artistic Sheet MaskKim888
Dec 21 - 27Z & AFavourite Masks of All-Timeitsfi
Dec 28 - 31123Masks you discovered this year

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler
To Post:
Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, if it's an exfoliating mask (include acid info if known), your overall experience, and whether or not you would repurchase. Don't forget to include a grade (thanks to @ShortErica for the idea) to help others along the way.

Most importantly, have fun and merry masking!

Mask Hacks - Here are a few to get started thanks to our lovely BIC-ers, a big thank you for these fabulous ideas!
Spoiler

Trim off long chin and add to forehead for sheet masks

itsfi

Squeeze tube lip balms (like Bite) into pans and place in magnetic palette

sonnydee

Layer lip sleeping mask (such as Laneige) over regular balm

cianni

Derma plane prior to a peel-off mask to ease the pain of removal

heartsmyface

Warm water helps remove clay masks quicker than cold

cianni

Lay sheet masks flat prior to use so the serum is more evenly distributed 

eshoe 

Remove clay/difficult masks in the shower to keep towel clean and removal easy

itsfi/BIC

Use an HA serum prior to trying a mask with alcohol high on the ingredients list

keana1

Use a Makeup Eraser to remove wash-off masks

lmaster

With a detox mask, apply a thicker layer where pores are

Ather

Use a resurfacing exfoliating spray (such as Kate Somerville’s Liquid ExfoliKate) before a detox mask to better clear out your pores

Miamia27

Re-use a large sample jar for a blank sheet mask pellet and fill it with essence/toner

Itsfi

Use a nail clippers to trip a mask if scissors are not on hand

ShortErica

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:
https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...
2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125 

NEW!!! Got an idea for next year's challenge? Let me know! Was there a challenge you'd rather not repeat? Share below, so we can start building the 2021 schedule:

Spoiler

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge!

@Kim888, was hoping this would be a good mask pack for you. I like the pretty packaging but that’s not a good indicator of how a product performs (though it sure has made me pick up a product before - hahaha!) 😆 

@Kim888  Sorry this was unimpressive, but I'm glad it could at least give you some hydration! 😉 I probably would've bought this one based on the name!

Aww, sorry it wasn't really impressive @Kim888. But I understand why you wanted to try it based on the packaging.

@Kim888 that's too bad about the peeling gel and the mask serum, I like to know if a mask will have a long lasting tackiness so I can plan to use it as a primer, the packaging is so pretty

@lmaster I'm so easily swayed by packaging haha - that's totally why I bought it! 

Thursday: P & K = Peachy keen! It’s a Biobelle #Peachy Peach & Hyaluronic Acid Mask night. 

Would be good enough to eat if it smelled more like natural peaches.Would be good enough to eat if it smelled more like natural peaches.

Notes: 

(I’ll start including the main product claims made by the brand, since that’s one of my mask judging criteria.) 

Spoiler

Claims: Dewy, hydrated, brighter looking skin. 

Ingredients: I have to ding Biobelle hard for highlighting peach extract and hyaluronic acid as star ingredients when they’re dead last in the ingredients list, especially with fragrance listed 3 spots above them. I used to pass up this mask while shopping because of this. I don’t care much about the caffeine in this mask because honestly, that ingredient doesn’t do much for my skin. (Which is funny considering how much I love coffee. I’m the coffee snob who visits Jamaica specifically to travel up the Blue Mountains and buy beans directly from plantations.) Allantoin is a good skin soother, though, so I’m glad it’s high up on the list. 

Spoiler
Water, Methylpropanediol, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Hydroxyacetophenone, Carbomer, Allantoin, Caffeine, Tromethamine, PolyGlyceril-10 Laurate, Myristate, Xanthan gum, Caprylyl Gycol, EthlylExylGlycerin, 1,2-hexanediol, Frangance (parfum), Disodium Edta, Althaea Rosea Flower extract, Hydrolyzed Hyaluronic Acid, Prunus Persica (peach) fruit extract. 

Performance: The giant peach print on this mask always make me chuckle for some reason. The sheet’s fairly stiff but not uncomfy. It’s a decent fit for my face, requiring no snip/tear adjustments (well, except maybe the chin which I should start shortening), and adheres fine nearly everywhere: the chin always comes unstuck. The serum has an artificial peach fragrance that’s not bad but cloying. I wish it smelled more like natural peaches. I go a full 30 minutes with this mask, then spend a minute massaging all the serum into my skin. My face feels slightly tacky afterward, but that doesn’t keep me from continuing the rest of my night routine. By the time I’ve applied facial oil, there’s no more tackiness. 

Results: Despite my gripe about HA being the second to last ingredient, this mask does leave my skin nicely hydrated, dewy, and cooled down—which is why I keep using the Peachy mask. I buy these when they go on sale, or when I need filler to reach a certain purchase amount at Ulta to maximize my earned points. I’ve used better hydrating masks, though. In wine tasting terms, Peachy would be a 90 point chenin blanc. 

Wednesday: P x 2 = Papa Recipe Bombee Fruitables Purple Squeeze. 

I’m halfway through my second box of Purple Squeeze.I’m halfway through my second box of Purple Squeeze.

Notes: 

Spoiler

Claims: Firms, lifts, and nourishes saggy skin; helps reduce wrinkles. 

Ingredients: Something I appreciate about all Bombee Fruitables masks is the high placement of their spotlighted fruit and veggie extracts. Sodium hyaluronate and a ceramide are very low on this list. Sure, Purple Squeeze doesn’t claim to be a hydrating or moisturizing mask. But one way to firm up skin is to increase its moisture level, which both those ingredients can do. 

Also, let’s talk about bilberries (vacciniarum myrtillus): I get excited whenever I see them listed as an ingredient because, in addition to being as antioxidant rich and powerful as blueberries, they help soothe redness. 

Spoiler
Water, Butylene Glycol 1,2, Hexanediol, Propylene Glycol, Glycereth-26, Glycerin, Chrondrus Crispus Powder, Solarium Melongena (Eggplant) Fruit Extract, Ipomoea Batatas Root Extract, Vaccinium Angustifolium (Blueberry) Fruit Extract, Vacciniarum Myrtillus Fruit Extract, Beta Vulgaris (Beet) Root Extract, Carbomer, Polyglyceryl-10 Laurate, Polyglyceryl-10 Myristate, Betaine, Allantoin, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Potassium Hydroxide, Caprylic/Capric, Triglyceride, Dipotassium, Glycyrrhizate, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Sodium Hyaluronate, Phytosteryl, Octyldodecyl Lauroyl, Glutomate, Tromethamine, Cermaide NP, Ethylhexylglycerin, Disodium ETDA, Adenosine, Fragrance 

Performance: The super thin sheet fits my face as nicely as I expect from any Fruitables mask: near-perfect length, good width, eyeholes I can work with, and a tiny mouth hole that needs widening. The sheet adheres well and has a light blueberry scent with almost an apple juice undercurrent. After removing the sheet and massaging the serum into my skin, I waited another 10 minutes before applying a facial oil. 

Just before I applied the oil, I ran a dry hand over my cheek and got a little pilling from the mask serum. Now, this wasn’t the first time I’d used Purple Squeeze, but it was the first time I’d given it more than 5 minutes post-massage to sink into my skin. I did get less pilling this time, possibly thanks to the extra sink-in time. But I’m not sure even a 30-minute wait would eliminate pilling. Still, Purple Squeeze pills much less than Yellow Squeeze. I haven’t done my usual ingredients cross check to figure out why some Fruitables masks cause this problem for me, vs. other masks and skincare products that don’t despite having similar ingredients. 

Results: This mask always makes my face feel tight about 15 minutes after I’ve massaged the serum in. Not the kind of tightness caused by dryness, though; more like a firming tightness. Applying a bit more hydration and my usual moisturization eases any overly tight discomfort without completely removing the firming effect. It’s not the most hydrating or moisturizing mask, but I do notice some reduction of surface redness. Most interesting to me is a brightening effect that’s quite mild the night of masking, but very obvious the next morning—especially if I use this mask on a retinol night. For me, Purple Squeeze is an 89 point Barolo that needs a few more tannin taming cellar years. Minor pilling keeps it out of the 90s. 

1) truly a letdown when the touted ingredient is 1/2 way or further down the list @WinglessOne @and 2) that firming tightness. That’s exactly how the Alpyn feels on my skin. Not dry, just a tightening. I don’t notice it so much after continuous use. Maybe it’s there to lure you in🤷🏻‍♀️ 3) second box? Good stuff!!!

These Papa Recipe sheet masks are popular for a reason @WinglessOne! I’ve not tried all of them but have really enjoyed the ones I have. 😃

@WinglessOne  The purple squeeze one sounds awesome!! Brightening sounds great. I wonder how more frequent use would show over time. 

@WinglessOne  Both of these sound pretty good and I always love your detailed reviews! 
It really annoys me when the star ingredients are near the bottom- and even more annoying when fragrance is listed higher than those star ingredients. 🤨 I liked the results of the peach mask as well, and the scent is nice too, but I do wish it had better material. Glad to hear it's one you enjoy despite the few issues it has 😃

I feel like I learn something from you every time you post a review! I've seen both bilberries and allantoin (especially the allantoin) in the ingredients of masks I used before, so it's good to know they're "WinglessOne approved" ingredients I should look out for 👍😉

P.S: It's pretty awesome you travel up the Blue Mountains for your coffee! I bet that would be SO GOOD! That is something I'd really love to do! 😋

Aw, thanks @Shosh85 ! I’m an ingredients stickler by necessity, but it’s always good to know more about the ingredients in skincare products. 🙂 And yeah, I do wish the Biobelle Peachy mask had the same kind of sheet as other Biobelle masks. It probably would if it wasn’t a printed mask. I’d happily trade the giant peach print for a thinner softer sheet. 

The trip up the Blue Mountains is beautiful and terrifying. The narrow roads aren’t the best, and there are several blind corners, and big trucks routinely travel up and down the mountains. 😬 I don’t always get to go up to the coffee plantations; sometimes I end up buying coffee from retailers in whichever town I’ve visited. But if you’re ever in Jamaica, particularly Ocho Rios or Kingston, try to plan a drive or ride up the Blue Mountains. It’s gorgeous up there. And of course, the coffee’s VERY tasty. 

This is the one I have lined up for tonight @WinglessOne! I'll put the long sink-in time to the test and let you know what happens. So far the pilling happened some on my nose and neck with yellow, a bit on my neck with green and I didn't notice any the first day when I used the orange one.

@ShortErica  I just saw your review. I’m glad you didn’t get as much pilling as I did. I still like this mask line in general (well, except for Yellow Squeeze). I just need to figure out what’s causing the pill reaction. 

Yeah I think longer absorption time helps but isn't the complete solution @WinglessOne. The slight pilling was a small issue in the scheme of masks and I like them too!

I'm loving your descriptions @WinglessOne how incredibly lucky to go to Jamaica to buy coffee!! That sounds so delicious

@lmaster  Jamaica Blue Mountain Coffee is much less expensive purchased direct from coffee plantations, or even from retailers in Jamaica, than it is here in the US. Plus, I like to inject tourism money into Jamaica’s economy; they (well, the not-wealthy folks who live there) certainly need it. So I figure, if I’m planning a Jamaican vacation or a cruise stop at a Jamaican port, I might as well pick up more coffee beans while I’m there. 🙂 

@WinglessOne the peachy one has such yummy packaging - too bad it was a scratchy mask - that's always the worst !

These masks are so mouthwatering @WinglessOne 

RE: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge!

Sorry been a ghost lately. Life n all three me off track of everything. Today I was in a watermelon mood. Mask wise I only needed a touch of moisture so I went with Kocostar Watermelon Slices, (smells good enough to eat). And finally after the rest of my steps I went for the all star Glow Recipe Watermelon Glow Sleeping Mask. Which literally is good enough to eat. I’ve accidentally got some in my mouth once or twice and it does taste good. I’m a slob for sure. It’s easy for me to accidentally put too much of the GR night mask on and then it balls up quickly. So I have to be careful to not overdo it.

Re: RE: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge!

Hey hope you are hangin’ in there, @Weetart🤗 Sounds like a delicious masking session, and also I agree too much balling up with the GR (I thought it was just me). Thanks for dropping in, I’m finding it helpful just to read through a few posts to take my mind off things for a bit, hope you can join in the mask meetup tomorrow:)

RE: Re: RE: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge!

Thanks @eshoe I’ll definitely see if I can with the mask meet-up. I totally get the reading posts to my escape. Ive missed it.
1 Reply
testing