cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

ARCHIVE - 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge! - PART 1

Please join us on Part II of this year’s challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-II/m-p/5433327/...

Welcome to a new year of masking adventures! ***The second half of the year thread will be up June 28th (or earlier), thank you for the suggestion @heartsmyface, @Kim888 & @quspork!***  

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread and giving us a place to share our love for masks💗 Below is the 2020 schedule. Post as frequently or infrequently as you would like, with or without following the challenge. We love hearing about every masking experience, and suggestions are always welcome. Looking forward to sharing some new masking 💖 with you all this year!

tenor

This Week’s Theme: Masking Duel - Dare to compare 2 (or more!) masks in one session

Letters of the Week: “Z” and “A”

Spoiler
Jan 1 - Jan 5A & ZMask Stash Clean-Out! Finish those masks before they expire.l8totheparty/ShortErica
Jan 6 - 12B & YMasks that Make you Hungryitsfi
Jan 13 - 19C & XFavourite Mask in your regular routine - What do you buy in bulk, so you always have it on hand in case of masking emergency?itsfi
Jan 20 - 26D & WClean Week - Masks that give your skin a boost without the guilteshoe
Jan 27 - Feb 2E & VTransportation Masking
@lmaster/@ShortErica/@missjeanie
Feb 3 - 9F & U

Best fitting mask - Mask that best fits your facial featuresPrettyPaint
Feb 10 - 16G & TSpecial Occasion Masks - the mask(s) you use to pamper yourselfitsfi
Feb 17 - 23H & SGross Masks - whether it's the scent or results, share the details please!Aaliaa
Feb 24 - Mar 1I & RSnubbed It: Masks you don't want to use & are continually passed overShortErica
Mar 2 - 8J & QFemale Owned Brands - In honour of Women's Day March 8thAaliaa
Mar 9 - 15K & PMasks Good Enough to Eat
heartsmyface
Mar 16 - 22L & OSample that made you buy the FS - You tried it, and decided to buy it!itsfi
Mar 23 - 29M & NFavourite Smelling Masks - Watermelon, Kale, Spa?? 
Mar 30 - Apr 5N & MMask While You Task
l8totheparty
Apr 6 - 12O & LMost Outrageous Mask ClaimsShortErica
Apr 13 - 19P & KHi-Lo Week: Mix or duel of $$$$ and $ masks 
Apr 20 - 26Q & JSample Dive - I know we have them!Aaliaa
Apr 27 - May 3R & ITargeted Skin Concern - Mask to address a current skin issuePrettyPaint
May 4 -10S & HOvernight Masks - Sleeping miracles in a jar 
May 11 - 17T & GMask with a PartnerAlphaboo
May 18 - 24U & FVitamins Week - masks that nourish your skin with vitamins and mineralskim888
May 25 - 31V & EBest/Cutest Printed MaskShosh85
Jun 1 - 7W & DMask that best describes your personality or moodPrettyPaint
Jun 8 - 14X & CFruits & Veggies Week - masks that use natural goodness to nourish your skinKeana1
Jun 15 - 21Y & BForgotten Wonders - Shop your stash for an unloved mask
missjeannie
Jun 22 - 28Z & AMasking Duel - Dare to compare 2 (or more!) masks in one sessioneshoe
Jun 29 - Jul 5A & ZMasking Pet Peeves - use a mask that has some component that drives you crazy!ShortErica
Jul 6 - 12B & YMasking Hacks - share your masking secrets that make your life easier and your skin happyeshoe
Jul13 - 19C & XLip, Hand or Foot Masks to help that summer skin 
Jul 20 - 26D & W’Weird Mask' Bubbling, Peeling, Colour changing other worldly wonders!Aalia
Jul 27 - Aug 2E & VMulti-Masking How many masks can you use at one time or in One Day?? 
Aug 3 - 9F & U Blind Pick Your Mask - Let's make it fun to use the masks in our stash!veronika23
Aug 10 - 16G & T
Sheet Mask Focus - from cotton to cupra, coconut gel to bio cellulose, what are your favorites and why?

Aug 17 - 23H & SDrugstore & Grocery Brands Weekeshoe
Aug 24 - 30I & R3-Step Masks/Multi-Step Masks
heartsmyface
Aug 31 - Sep 6J & QRainbow Week - Bring out the colorful masks in every hueSonnydee
Sep 7 - 13K & PAutumn Masks - Fall goodness in a mask 
Sep 14 - 20L & OWhen you are getting GLAM for a night out and want that inner GLOW 
Sep 21 - 27M & N BIC Made you do it! Masks recommended/inspired by other BIC members 
Sep 28 - Oct 4N & MSephora Collections Week - House Brand Goodness 
Oct 5 - 11O & LMasks that Make you Hungry - Fall/Winter Editionitsfi
Oct 12 - 18P & KForgotten Wonders - Shop your stash for an unloved mask 
Oct 19 - 25Q & JOvernight Masks - Sleeping miracles in a jar 
Oct 26 - Nov 1R & IMasking Duel Week II 
Nov 2 - 8S & HBuddy Up! Dare to compare the same mask with another BIC-ereshoe
Nov 9 - 15T & GGross/Odd/Unusual Ingredients - Spirulina, donkey milk, bee venom, snail mucous - what masks have you used that have strange ingredients?Aaliaa
Nov 16 - 22U & FFlash Masks - masks that do doubly duty in half the timeeshoe
Nov 23 - 29V & EMorning Masking - Masks that help give a pep to your step 
Nov 30 - Dec 6W & DMask that would make a good band name (kinda silly, I know)PrettyPaint
Dec 7 - 13X & CHoliday Party Prep Mask 
Dec 14 - 20Y & BMost Artistic Sheet MaskKim888
Dec 21 - 27Z & AFavourite Masks of All-Timeitsfi
Dec 28 - 31123Masks you discovered this year

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler
To Post:
Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, if it's an exfoliating mask (include acid info if known), your overall experience, and whether or not you would repurchase. Don't forget to include a grade (thanks to @ShortErica for the idea) to help others along the way.

Most importantly, have fun and merry masking!

Mask Hacks - Here are a few to get started thanks to our lovely BIC-ers, a big thank you for these fabulous ideas!
Spoiler

Trim off long chin and add to forehead for sheet masks

itsfi

Squeeze tube lip balms (like Bite) into pans and place in magnetic palette

sonnydee

Layer lip sleeping mask (such as Laneige) over regular balm

cianni

Derma plane prior to a peel-off mask to ease the pain of removal

heartsmyface

Warm water helps remove clay masks quicker than cold

cianni

Lay sheet masks flat prior to use so the serum is more evenly distributed 

eshoe 

Remove clay/difficult masks in the shower to keep towel clean and removal easy

itsfi/BIC

Use an HA serum prior to trying a mask with alcohol high on the ingredients list

keana1

Use a Makeup Eraser to remove wash-off masks

lmaster

With a detox mask, apply a thicker layer where pores are

Ather

Use a resurfacing exfoliating spray (such as Kate Somerville’s Liquid ExfoliKate) before a detox mask to better clear out your pores

Miamia27

Re-use a large sample jar for a blank sheet mask pellet and fill it with essence/toner

Itsfi

Use a nail clippers to trip a mask if scissors are not on hand

ShortErica

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:
https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...
2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125 

NEW!!! Got an idea for next year's challenge? Let me know! Was there a challenge you'd rather not repeat? Share below, so we can start building the 2021 schedule:

Spoiler

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge

@Tamecia1beauty you absolutely made the best use out of the theme, and look gorgeous doing it 😄 Foil masks are pretty cool, I haven’t tried this one but have tried a few others. Always a treat, thank you so much for sharing!

@Tamecia1beauty  Sounds wonderful! Glad you enjoyed it! I always think of C3PO when I do gold masks, but Trojan warrior is a great one too! 👍

Love your Trojan Warrior look @Tamecia1beauty !!

@Tamecia1beauty How fun! 

Best,
Rebecca

Loads! 😊 

@RebeccaBT wrote:

@Tamecia1beautyHow fun! 

Best,
Rebecca

It's been a little bit since I've posted but I've been masking along the way. I'm really just going through what I have and trying to use them before they expire. So, I've put myself on a no/low buy which probably contributed to me not being on the chats too much.. lol. Here are a few I've been using regularly. I'm sure there are plenty more but I forgot to take pics. 

IMG_1637 (1).jpg

Spoiler
The Leaders mask has been eh for me. It leaves my face way too tacky to enjoy the end result. It does hydrate but even with moisturizer after, I just don't like the way my face feels. I did buy a box of 10 when I got these so just trying to use them up but will probably not purchase these again. 

The Frudia one is lovely. I am also using up my box of 5 I think and really enjoy these. I would definitely purchase these again. It leaves my face feeling moisturized and not tacky.

The Clinique overnight mask I really enjoy when I need that extra bit of moisture. Goes on light and an easy wash off in the am.

The Glow Recipe avocado sleeping mask is great. Its very thick but goes on easy. Gives super hydration and I think I would use this in the winter.

The GlamGlow is heaven. The scent is so wonderful I can't get enough of it... and it moisturizes very well too. I use this as an overnight mask layered as my last step of my night routine.

The PTR pumpkin mask is a favorite. I got it as a gratis and have really fallen in love with it. The scent makes me crave pumpkin pie, which is my fave pie ..lol. If I were to come across the full size on clearance or a good price, I would totally get it. I like to use it in the shower for an easy rinse. My faces feels so soft afterwards.

Ooooh, the scent on the Glamglow is so lovely! @GalPalVal17! I definitely like how supple that one makes my skin feel plus the scent is so nice while masking, just 👌

I am excited to try the PTR! I have a mid size container to work through once I am done with my current exfoliating mask, so if it smells like pumpkin pie, that's amazing!

Oh I adore the PTR pumpkin too @GalPalVal17 ! I received it in gratis as well and debated between the summer fridays pumpkin and the PTR full sizes. Thanks to last weekends sale I’m now the proud owner of both! Gonna have to remember to bust it open tonight after work! 

Great masking @GalPalVal17 happy to see you are getting through those soon to expire masks,,, I'm with you!

@GalPalVal17  What a great group of masks! I remember that Leaders mask being pretty tacky too. I also tried the newer double moisture one and that one left me super sticky! I normally don't mind tack at all, but this was so sticky my hair and lint wouldn't stop sticking to it. 😂

@GalPalVal17  Hmm, I was thinking of trying that Leaders mask; good to know about the excessive tackiness. Once you removed that mask, how long did you give the serum to sink in? I’m curious because I have another ceramides mask with a thick serum that takes a good 20 minutes post-sheet removal to fully sink in, and even then my face feels slightly tacky. I wonder how long I’d have to wait on this Leaders mask serum.

Anyway, sorry it wasn’t a very pleasant experience. But you’ve got some other great masks to make up for it! 🙂 

@GalPalVal17  Mmmm I love that PTR pumpkin mask too. I don't think I've tried that particular leaders mask, but I am definitely not a fan of too much tackiness. 

I totally feel you on how tacky the Leaders masks can be @GalPalVal17, but for me the results are worth the annoyance.  I think I may have a sample of that Glam Glow that I haven't tried yet.  I'm going to look for it when I get home.  Thanks for reviewing it!  🙂

Aw, I'm sorry the Leader's is too tacky for you, @GalPalVal17. Hopefully it won't be too much trouble to use up the rest of the set. 

@GalPalVal17 look at all those masks! 😍 PTR pumpkin and that ThirstyMud are fabulous masks! I use the ThirstyMud as an overnight mask too! It’s great for hydrating the skin as I sleep. 💖

I found the leaders to be too tacky for my taste also @GalPalVal17 

Finally gonna start posting in this thread. I do a lot of cold weather masking, but I’m still used to immediately tossing all my mask envelopes in the trash. I’m training myself to keep them in my empties bag. 😄 Anyway, tonight was an unintended double mask night and they both happen to fit this week’s letters. 

S = Snail: The Saem Pure Natural Snail Mask. This mask is new to me. 

The Saem Pure Natural Snail Mask. Thumbs down.The Saem Pure Natural Snail Mask. Thumbs down.

Notes: 

Spoiler
Ingredients: This is the first snail mucin product I’ve ever used, because I can’t get over the “snail slime” mental hurdle. Looks like it contains nothing my skin hates. 
Spoiler
Water, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Snail Secretion Filtrate, PEG-75, Xanthan Gum, Disodium EDTA, PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Chlorphenesin, Glycyrrhiza Glabra Root Extract, 1,2-Hexanediol, Caprylyl Glycol, Schizandra Chinensis Fruit Extract, Coptis Japonica Root Extract, Zingiber Officinale Root Extract, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Fragrance

Performance: This thing’s cut for a much smaller and narrower face; I had to cut the eyeholes a lot, which helped the sheet stretch to cover more of the sides of my face. The serum’s VERY watery, not slimy at all and not slippery enough to slide down my face, but I still should’ve used my mask holder to keep all the air bubbles out and maintain chin contact. The heavy fragrance didn’t make me sneeze but was annoyingly present. After removal, the serum sunk VERY quickly into my skin. 

Results: Claims to be highly moisturizing but that’s a lie. 😡 It felt like I’d just pressed plain ol’ water against my face for 20 minutes: 3 minutes after the mask was peeled off and the serum fully sunk in, my cheeks went into dry patch mode. I didn’t get any of the claimed skin brightening results, either. This mask is definitely a no-go for me. 

H = Hydration badly needed after the snail mask: Frudia Pomegranate Nutri-Moisturizing Mask. This one’s an existing staple for me. I’m trying to use up my last batch because they’re expiring very soon, so rather than use a hydrating serum after the snail mask, I popped one of these on. 

Frudia Pomegranate Nutri-Moisturizing Mask: an existing favorite.Frudia Pomegranate Nutri-Moisturizing Mask: an existing favorite.

Notes: 

Spoiler
Ingredients: My face’s only potential problem with this mask is that fragrance isn’t closer to the end of the list. Wish it wasn’t listed before sodium hyaluronate. 
Spoiler
Punica Granatum Fruit Extract (46%), Water, Methylpropanediol, Glycerin, 1,2-Hexanediol, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Betaine, Diphenylsiloxy Phenyl Trimethicone, Panthenol, PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Glyceryl Polymethacrylate, Phenoxyethanol, Glycosyl Trehalose, Chlorphenesin, Hydrogenated Starch Hydrolysate, Xanthan Gum, Styrene/VP Copolymer, Allantoin, Adenosine, Polysorbate 60, Sorbitan Isostearate, Disodium EDTA, Fragrance, Sodium Hyaluronate, Coco-Caprylate/Caprate, Prunus Armeniaca (Apricot) Kernel Oil, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Citrus Paradisi (Grapefruit) Seed Oil, Mangifera Indica (Mango) Seed Oil, Punica Granatum Seed Oil, Solanum Lycopersicum (Tomato) Seed Oil, Tocopherol 

Performance: Fits me fairly well, especially around the eyes. It’s more fragranced than I’d like, but not obnoxiously so. Always sticks to my face like a second skin. Not the softest sheet but not stiff or scratchy, and I kinda like that it’s not bleached white. I also appreciate the mesh backing sheet for easier unfolding and handling. When I want to mask during a bath, I often reach for this one.  

Results: This mask lives up to its skin-firming claim. (Caveat: no sheet mask can firm skin as well as an injectable or cosmetic surgery so, you know, keep expectations realistic.) And it always leaves my skin nicely moisturized. Not as much as my beloved OOZOO Bear Water-Bang mask, but plenty enough to rescue my dry zones tonight. It’s never let me down. Tonight was no exception. 

Last week I said (in another thread) I’d post here about my frenemy mask. I’ll do that next time I use one of those, or if I see a fitting weekly theme. 

Thank you for the very useful distinction between hydrating and moisturizing @WinglessOne! So helpful!

Oh I’m sorry the snail mask wasn’t a better experience for your first go at it @WinglessOne ! Hopefully the next is a win.

@WinglessOne  I tried The Saem mask and was underwhelmed as well - the snail masks I've tried have definitely been a lot better.
Glad to hear you like the Frudia mask! I liked this one for its moisturizing benefits, but I wasn't crazy about it's scent. The Water Bang mask is one of my favorites too and would have to agree the results are a bit better than the Frudia. 😉

@Shosh85  I remember the first time I used the Frudia pom mask and thinking “nope, too much fragrance” straight away, and then it kinda grew on me during the 20 minutes of wear. Generally speaking though, I wish sheet masks weren’t so heavily fragranced. I know some folks love certain mask scents, but I could do without. 

Hopefully the next snail mask I try will be a huge improvement on The Saem’s. 🙂

1 Reply
testing