cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

ARCHIVE - 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge! - PART 1

Please join us on Part II of this yearโ€™s challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-II/m-p/5433327/...

Welcome to a new year of masking adventures! ***The second half of the year thread will be up June 28th (or earlier), thank you for the suggestion @heartsmyface, @Kim888 & @quspork!***  

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’— Below is the 2020 schedule. Post as frequently or infrequently as you would like, with or without following the challenge. We love hearing about every masking experience, and suggestions are always welcome. Looking forward to sharing some new masking ๐Ÿ’– with you all this year!

tenor

This Weekโ€™s Theme: Masking Duel - Dare to compare 2 (or more!) masks in one session

Letters of the Week: โ€œZโ€ and โ€œAโ€

Spoiler
Jan 1 - Jan 5A & ZMask Stash Clean-Out! Finish those masks before they expire.l8totheparty/ShortErica
Jan 6 - 12B & YMasks that Make you Hungryitsfi
Jan 13 - 19C & XFavourite Mask in your regular routine - What do you buy in bulk, so you always have it on hand in case of masking emergency?itsfi
Jan 20 - 26D & WClean Week - Masks that give your skin a boost without the guilteshoe
Jan 27 - Feb 2E & VTransportation Masking
@lmaster/@ShortErica/@missjeanie
Feb 3 - 9F & U

Best fitting mask - Mask that best fits your facial featuresPrettyPaint
Feb 10 - 16G & TSpecial Occasion Masks - the mask(s) you use to pamper yourselfitsfi
Feb 17 - 23H & SGross Masks - whether it's the scent or results, share the details please!Aaliaa
Feb 24 - Mar 1I & RSnubbed It: Masks you don't want to use & are continually passed overShortErica
Mar 2 - 8J & QFemale Owned Brands - In honour of Women's Day March 8thAaliaa
Mar 9 - 15K & PMasks Good Enough to Eat
heartsmyface
Mar 16 - 22L & OSample that made you buy the FS - You tried it, and decided to buy it!itsfi
Mar 23 - 29M & NFavourite Smelling Masks - Watermelon, Kale, Spa?? 
Mar 30 - Apr 5N & MMask While You Task
l8totheparty
Apr 6 - 12O & LMost Outrageous Mask ClaimsShortErica
Apr 13 - 19P & KHi-Lo Week: Mix or duel of $$$$ and $ masks 
Apr 20 - 26Q & JSample Dive - I know we have them!Aaliaa
Apr 27 - May 3R & ITargeted Skin Concern - Mask to address a current skin issuePrettyPaint
May 4 -10S & HOvernight Masks - Sleeping miracles in a jar 
May 11 - 17T & GMask with a PartnerAlphaboo
May 18 - 24U & FVitamins Week - masks that nourish your skin with vitamins and mineralskim888
May 25 - 31V & EBest/Cutest Printed MaskShosh85
Jun 1 - 7W & DMask that best describes your personality or moodPrettyPaint
Jun 8 - 14X & CFruits & Veggies Week - masks that use natural goodness to nourish your skinKeana1
Jun 15 - 21Y & BForgotten Wonders - Shop your stash for an unloved mask
missjeannie
Jun 22 - 28Z & AMasking Duel - Dare to compare 2 (or more!) masks in one sessioneshoe
Jun 29 - Jul 5A & ZMasking Pet Peeves - use a mask that has some component that drives you crazy!ShortErica
Jul 6 - 12B & YMasking Hacks - share your masking secrets that make your life easier and your skin happyeshoe
Jul13 - 19C & XLip, Hand or Foot Masks to help that summer skin 
Jul 20 - 26D & Wโ€™Weird Mask' Bubbling, Peeling, Colour changing other worldly wonders!Aalia
Jul 27 - Aug 2E & VMulti-Masking How many masks can you use at one time or in One Day?? 
Aug 3 - 9F & U Blind Pick Your Mask - Let's make it fun to use the masks in our stash!veronika23
Aug 10 - 16G & T
Sheet Mask Focus - from cotton to cupra, coconut gel to bio cellulose, what are your favorites and why?

Aug 17 - 23H & SDrugstore & Grocery Brands Weekeshoe
Aug 24 - 30I & R3-Step Masks/Multi-Step Masks
heartsmyface
Aug 31 - Sep 6J & QRainbow Week - Bring out the colorful masks in every hueSonnydee
Sep 7 - 13K & PAutumn Masks - Fall goodness in a mask 
Sep 14 - 20L & OWhen you are getting GLAM for a night out and want that inner GLOW 
Sep 21 - 27M & N BIC Made you do it! Masks recommended/inspired by other BIC members 
Sep 28 - Oct 4N & MSephora Collections Week - House Brand Goodness 
Oct 5 - 11O & LMasks that Make you Hungry - Fall/Winter Editionitsfi
Oct 12 - 18P & KForgotten Wonders - Shop your stash for an unloved mask 
Oct 19 - 25Q & JOvernight Masks - Sleeping miracles in a jar 
Oct 26 - Nov 1R & IMasking Duel Week II 
Nov 2 - 8S & HBuddy Up! Dare to compare the same mask with another BIC-ereshoe
Nov 9 - 15T & GGross/Odd/Unusual Ingredients - Spirulina, donkey milk, bee venom, snail mucous - what masks have you used that have strange ingredients?Aaliaa
Nov 16 - 22U & FFlash Masks - masks that do doubly duty in half the timeeshoe
Nov 23 - 29V & EMorning Masking - Masks that help give a pep to your step 
Nov 30 - Dec 6W & DMask that would make a good band name (kinda silly, I know)PrettyPaint
Dec 7 - 13X & CHoliday Party Prep Mask 
Dec 14 - 20Y & BMost Artistic Sheet MaskKim888
Dec 21 - 27Z & AFavourite Masks of All-Timeitsfi
Dec 28 - 31123Masks you discovered this year

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler
To Post:
Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, if it's an exfoliating mask (include acid info if known), your overall experience, and whether or not you would repurchase. Don't forget to include a grade (thanks to @ShortErica for the idea) to help others along the way.

Most importantly, have fun and merry masking!

Mask Hacks - Here are a few to get started thanks to our lovely BIC-ers, a big thank you for these fabulous ideas!
Spoiler

Trim off long chin and add to forehead for sheet masks

itsfi

Squeeze tube lip balms (like Bite) into pans and place in magnetic palette

sonnydee

Layer lip sleeping mask (such as Laneige) over regular balm

cianni

Derma plane prior to a peel-off mask to ease the pain of removal

heartsmyface

Warm water helps remove clay masks quicker than cold

cianni

Lay sheet masks flat prior to use so the serum is more evenly distributed 

eshoe 

Remove clay/difficult masks in the shower to keep towel clean and removal easy

itsfi/BIC

Use an HA serum prior to trying a mask with alcohol high on the ingredients list

keana1

Use a Makeup Eraser to remove wash-off masks

lmaster

With a detox mask, apply a thicker layer where pores are

Ather

Use a resurfacing exfoliating spray (such as Kate Somervilleโ€™s Liquid ExfoliKate) before a detox mask to better clear out your pores

Miamia27

Re-use a large sample jar for a blank sheet mask pellet and fill it with essence/toner

Itsfi

Use a nail clippers to trip a mask if scissors are not on hand

ShortErica

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:
https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...
2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125 

NEW!!! Got an idea for next year's challenge? Let me know! Was there a challenge you'd rather not repeat? Share below, so we can start building the 2021 schedule:

Spoiler

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge

@eshoe oh no! I'm so sorry about your skincare woes! You have a lot of good advice in the thread, but I definitely went through something similar a few weeks ago, way too many actives.

I used very few products for the last two weeks and am just ramping up to some hydrating and calming masks.

First was a milky cleanser (no rubbing, gentle pats). I used PHILOSOPHY - Purity Made Simple Cleanser. Then patted my face dry, no rubbing. Then I used my beauty blender to dab on a Vitamin C serum OLEHENRIKSEN - Truth Serumยฎ Mini and a ceramide serum/cream DR. JART+ - Ceramidinโ„ข Cream and a moisturizer and SPF (so important!), I combined with the Origins Age Defense SPF. No make up on affected areas. Spritz throughout the day with refreshing mist KOPARI - Coconut Rose Toner

At night, gently pat clean with a micelle water and then a overnight sleep mask LANEIGE - Water Sleeping Mask. It's so frustrating but I did that for about a week and then went back to a normal morning routine. I'm still not using any actives really, slowly ramping in my retinol alternative. Not acids or exfoliators right now. Good luck!!

@haleyvvvv Wow thank you for the bevy of great suggestions! I dug through all of my samples last night and have a couple of the DR. JART+ - Ceramidinโ„ข Cream so I am very pleased about that. A week is a pretty short recovery time, hereโ€™s to hoping mine is just as speedy!

Good luck, @eshoe!! Definitely not a week to full recovery, but at least to where it was enough not to be terrible. I wish you a speedy recovery! 

Thank you so much, @haleyvvvv!

@eshoe  Oh no! Sorry to hear about your unpleasant reaction! I hope you're able to find some relief and it clears up quick! ๐Ÿคž

Glad you enjoyed the Farmskin mask! I've really liked the ones I've tried so far! ๐Ÿฅ•๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Thank you @Shosh85, if I werenโ€™t a part of this community I would probably be just making things worse๐Ÿ˜‚ The Farmskin was great, I love masks that can be counted on for some soothing, and this one did that!

@eshoe bummer about the mountains, but I'm glad the Pixi helped out a bit.  Seeing your post makes me miss the Pixi, I'm trying to use up some products before I make re-purchases... but dang that is one of my favourite clay masks!  Love the carrot mask too!

The Pixi is SO good, @missjeanie. Iโ€™m so grateful you talked it up here, I never would have tried it otherwise!

I'm so sorry you have angry skin @eshoe. There must be something going around. I had mentioned earlier that my skin was itchy while wearing the banana mask. I used my PTR Pumpkin mask which has never really irritated my skin, and I had to remove it after about three minutes because my face starting burning. I usually leave it on for about seven minutes. So strange.

I hope your skin gets better. Those Farmskin masks always look so nice! ๐Ÿ™‚

@PrettyPaint I am so sorry๐Ÿ˜” itโ€™s enough to stop me from using wash-off masks for awhile, too. How bizarre that a mask that was normally ok for you now bothered your skin! I used the Honey Potion tonight and same thing; removed it only after a few minutes because my face just stung and hurt. It has NEVER felt like that before tonight. 

Are you using any retinols/alt-retinols? 

@eshoe  Oh my goodness, that's bad news if honey potion stung!?! The only alt-retinol I have been using is Herbivore's Bakuchiol. I haven't been using it too often lately, though, so I wouldn't think that should be the culprit. 

I used the Herbivore every other night, @PrettyPaint without rest. Maybe itโ€™s just time for a short break๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ

@eshoe  Sounds like that may be a good idea. I feel like my skin type completely changes in the winter. It can withstand a lot more exfoliation, acids, etc. during the warmer months, so I need to remember to make adjustments during the winter.

Iโ€™m glad you enjoyed the Farmskin mask @eshoe! My skin has been irritated the last few days too๐Ÿคทโ€โ™€๏ธ

Oh wow @faeriegirl I am so sorry to hear that. I did consider that perhaps the smoke from all of the recent fires may be reaching the air over us here. I did a quick news search and NASA has confirmed that it has already travelled halfway across the globe. Could be a long shot, but I just wonder. @PrettyPaint 

Thank you again๐Ÿ˜Š

@eshoe  Oh hmmmm....that's a possibility. I am going to look that up  - I didn't realize it had traveled that far. I'm behind on catching up with the boards. Is your skin any better yet?

Well I was taking a stab in the dark, @PrettyPaint - I think my recent Babyfacial-Dermpaplane-Retinol-Alt-Exfoliate the next day miiiiight have something to do with it. Sigh, itโ€™s a painful lesson to learn, thank goodness for all of the helpful advice Iโ€™ve had here!

Oh no @eshoe! Iโ€™m so sorry your skin felt like it was burning! Ack!! I wonder what caused it. So sorry!! Get some aloe on that! Or if you have a honey or an oat mask, that might help, too.

Itโ€™s been getting progressively worse @itsfi. Used my usual Neogen C powder blend this morning and my face was red for a good 30 minutes. There are a couple of things I suspect; one, I dermaplaned Sunday, and second, the Bakuchiol might be starting to irritate my skin. I am going to lay off both for awhile and stick to soothing masks for awhile. I have the FARMACY - Honey Potion Renewing Antioxidant Hydration Mask set aside for tonight, great suggestion for the oats and honey;)

Oh no! Progressively worse? I wonder if itโ€™s just cumulatively too many acids / actives for your skin @eshoe and it needs more of a break in between the different acids or actives Though good point about your skin possibly being more sensitive after dermaplaning. In any event, I hope your skin feels better. Need to give it lots of TLC.

I am hoping that is all it is @itsfi. The Honey Potion burned tonight, so it is definitely a sign to step back and heed @naturalooks15โ€™s routine as one to adapt for the time being๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ

I am also going to see if there is a thread about this, as my skin has never been this irritated. My skin is generally smooth and redness is a non-issue; except for now. I have set aside a gentle oat cleanser for tomorrow that I will try for a bit, we will see how it works!

3 Replies
testing