cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|
Anonymous Insider

9 with acne, advice?

My 9 year old has acne all around her hair line and forehead. When she is with me I have her shower daily, wash her hair with a gentle shampoo/conditioner, and do her face (oil free acne wash neutrogena, neutrogena clear pore toner, neutrogena spot treatment, and then an all over moisturizer from Sephora). By the time she heads to her Dad’s her face is almost clear. At Dad’s house it all comes back. She bathes everyday there but doesn’t wash her hair daily. She has a face wipe she uses daily, but it does no good. She will not do anymore then a wipe when left to her own. I tried talking to her Dad and I thought he was on board, but I don’t think he’s worried. I just remember all the bad acne as a preteen and don’t want her going through the same. I need a good lazy regimen for her. I’m not stoked about the one I’m using at my house either. I feel like it’s harsh, but it works when she’s home.

Thank you

Re: 9 with acne, advice?

My sister had a similar issue at that age with forehead acne and it followed her into her teen years, everyone was always giving her different product recommendations to treat the acne, which really didn't tackle the problem. Harsher products can make skin overreact leading to more breakouts especially during an age when your skin/hormones are changing very rapidly. I think just getting her into the habit of cleaning her hair/face regularly could help keep oil levels in check and prevent breakouts. Cetaphil makes a gentle cleanser that works well and also First Aid Beauty Pure Skin Face Cleanser 8 oz/ 237 mL is gentle on skin.

Maybe look for a more gentle shampoo/conditioner that doesn't have unnecessary fragrance/harsh products. Whatever you put on your scalp can irritate the skin on your face. If you are really concerned about it, you may want to consider bringing her to a dermatologist who may be able to identify the cause of her breakouts so you can treat that rather than just her skin. I hope some of that helps!

You could check your detergent/fabric softener too, sometimes scented ones can irritate sensitive skin in kids, especially on their face from sleeping on a pillow.

My 11 yr old is going through the same thing. The doc recommended hair twice a week- once with neutrogena t gel shampoo and another time with any other gentle shampoo. Wash face at night with a gentle cleanser like cetaphil and apply differin gel otc nightly. It has made some difference. We just have to be regular with the differin gel which we r not. Hope this helps.

If you are putting Differin on your child, please please please also use a moisturizer and a sunscreen daily. Or you may end up damaging or irritating their skin, @vainy. Did their doctor recommend that?

Anonymous Insider

Putting away the harsh stuff, probably switch hair products and let it be with a super gentle cleanser. Thanks to those with the actual advice

@Anonymous Hi, I am sorry you are going through this problem with your daughter. The only product I can think of that will help your daughter is this product from Fresh. It is meant for these acne-prone problems for teens and pre-teens. There are a lot of healthy benefits from it also, the ingredients should not be too harsh in it for her skin. 

Anonymous Insider

Thank you, definitely will look into it.

Your welcome, hope she feels better.

@Anonymous 

Tie her hair in a ponytail and let her be a 9 year old child. Don’t give her a complex at 9. 

9 with acne, advice?

Please don't give your child a complex about her skin. She's nine, she has a whole lifetime ahead of her to feel criticized and insecure. If it doesn't bother her, stop making it about yourself and your issues. Throw out whatever hair products she's using at her dad's house and let her stick to wipes. When her skin does start to bother her, take her to a dermatologist because the solution can be as simple as a prescription zinc cleanser. Teach her skin health with basic hygiene and sunscreen protection, not an endless unrealistic quest for perfection.
Anonymous Insider

Thanks, you could have lead with the advice before the judgement though. Or is that how you get your rocks off? By bashing and or judging someone? I’m going to take the advice and apparently continue on my quest for perfection by projecting. Woohoo! Time to give my kid a complex 🙂 hell yeah!!!

If the acne is concentrated around her hair line/forehead, @Anonymous you may want to check her shampoo and conditioner. She may be reacting to an ingredient in one of those. 

Anonymous Insider

Good point, thank you so much!!!

Hi @Anonymous!

A 9 year old shouldn't be using products that are too harsh, since it can do more harm than good later on.  Most pre-teen acne will clear overtime on its own.

The best thing would be to take her to the dermatologist and see what they say.  They are the most knowledgable and will be able to prescribe or recommend products.

Some other things she can do is drink lots of water, wash her face twice a day and after exercising, get enough sleep, cut back on sugar and eat healthy.

Maybe try one of the First Aid Beauty products since they're known to be gentle.

It might help to get her to wash her hair daily.  I know it's not the best for hair to wash everyday, but the oils from her scalp might also be contributing to the acne.

One thing that always got me to do things as a kid was a reward system.  When I did a chore or task, my parents would give me a sticker.  When those stickers reached a certain number, I would be given a present or money.  It was a huge motivator 😂

Anonymous Insider

All of this! Thank you, I appreciate it.

I use First Aid and it’s brilliant. Very gentle. 

16 Replies
Conversation Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 18 Hearts Given
  • 9 Contributors
testing