Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2023 Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

Thank you @lmaster! It was certainly useful for cooling down that day.

@JoSometimes  Oh this mask sounds yummy! I love a mask after a hot day! My fav one is SEPHORA COLLECTION After-Sun Mask - Watermelon Watermelon  but the Jelly mask sounds so cooling! And topping it off with a great lip mask is a perfect pair! 

@ather It was very cooling. The ac quit the day before this mask, so it was very helpful. That Sephora one sounds refreshing too and probably less prone to falling apart than the jelly one I used. 

@JoSometimes , I tried this mask and it was a hydrogel disaster. The scent is so yummy, yes, but I think I was ready to give up before I even began! Good for you for persevering ๐Ÿ˜„

The Mango Laneige is exactly what I need, also;)

@eshoe Iโ€™m sorry yours was a crumbly jelly mess. Mine tore in two spots but was still plenty usable. 

Mango laneige is my favourite. So glad I found one. ๐Ÿฅญ

Some tried but true items and a new-to-me sheet mask from earlier this month, rounding out a half year's worth of masking through the alphabet ๐Ÿ˜‚ with a Z for zit zappers and zzzz's
Zit zappers & zzzzโ€™s.jpg
Spoiler
The tea tree oil scent from the thinner leaning, soft, silky, microfiber sheet of the Dr. Jart+ Dermask Micro Jet Clearing Solutionโ„ข is light, fleeting and not unpleasant. Adherence is lovely and fit is better than average, with the openings for the eyes and mouth wide enough to not require additional adjustments though the length of the mask at both ends of the length, as with most sheet masks, were off - not a dealbreaker as a perfect fit can actually be had with a pair of scissors to take off the extra material at the chin/jawline and use the extra material to cover the gap between the top edge of the sheet and my hairline.

While I'm not sure how well the mask would perform if my skin was experiencing active breakouts, a single use for an half hour did soothe and hydrate my skin, visibly reducing redness, albeit temporarily, and left my skin feeling cool and more supple. I would happily use this mask again and could see myself picking it up to keep on hand when traveling during the summer months when my skin leans more dehydrated and combination-oily.

The soft lavender scent on the since discontinued MILK Makeup Melatonin Overnight Lip Mask is pleasant and not at all overpowering. It's practically indiscernible as I only really pick up on it when I'm bringing the product to my lips (or the jar to my nose to make sure I picked up a scent from it). The little bit of goop I get when picking up the product dissipates immediately upon application, with the warmth of my lips melting the balm quickly, turning the consistency soft and smooth, and leaving my lips feeling the same, without tack or stickiness. My regrets with this lip mask is not reaching for it more regularly when I first picked it up and not purchasing more before it stopped being produced.

The Peace Out Salicylic Acid Acne Healing Dots remain in my skincare collection and there they shall remain until I no longer suffer from breakouts, even if they are now thankfully less frequent and severe than before. These are great for sucking the gunk out of those pesky pimples. These are the best performing hydrocolloid pimple patches for me.
Closed out the end of last month with a color changing mask
T - Tatcha 2.jpg
Spoiler
Along with the Dr. Jart sheet mask, the Tatcha The Clarifying Clay Mask Exfoliating Pore Treatment 1.7 oz/ 50 mL is another good preventative care mask for dehydrated, combination skin that experiences periodic breakouts along my chin and jawline and mild rosacea on my cheeks. The color-shifting, clay based mask exfoliates and decongests, absorbs excess oil, and leaves my skin lightly hydrated and brightened in just 3-5 minutes. She's expensive and exquisite. Worth the splurge if you can choose to do so. Good news? The mask is available in a mini size. The bad news is that Sephora doesn't carry the mini, which seems to be exclusive to the Tatcha site. For now, at least.
Tatcha clay mask 1.jpg
Tatcha clay mask 2.jpg

@itsfi I did not know milk discontinued the lip mask, I wonder why 

The Tatcha clay mask sounds like a good one to have in the arsenol, @itsfi. I'll have to keep it in mind whenever I'm out of the current stock of clay/muds!

She's a beauty @quspork! ๐Ÿ˜ I'm really happy to see that there's a mini version available at Tatcha ~ size-wise, it's more doable for working my way through and it's also easier on the wallet. ๐Ÿ˜† I'm trying to pare down my clay / mud masks to having just a handful open at a time, or even just a few to have on hand period, but my goodness, it's a challenge. Especially with some good ones out there. Do you have any favorite clay / mud masks, ones that you find yourself going back to again and again, or always replenishing?

I'm mostly (MOSTLY lol) down to just using the Caudalie Pore Minimizing Instant Detox Mask 2.5 oz/ 75 mL and Pixi Glow Mud Mask these days, @itsfi but you know how it is- new things to try from time to time because you never know what may be the next new love. 

"but you know how it is - new things to try from time to time because you never know what may be the next new love" ~ @quspork 

Ain't that the truth, quspork?!! I've been better over the last couple of years of not picking up everything all at once to try, but even so, the wish list is longer than ever it seems. There are certain pros and cons to the abundance of new releases and innovation in the Kbeauty space and also in the North American and European markets these days. Being skincare enthusiasts, it's easy to get excited about it, but hard to rein it in when it comes to deciding what to try next. ๐Ÿ˜† Will be keeping an eye out (as always) on what hauls you make.

My fav face mask has to be the laneige

sleeping mask! You wear it to sleep and it leaves your face so moisturized and soft!

That's a good reliable classic, @ReganStar! I love that it's light enough to add extra moisturization for my oily skin without being overwhelming. 

@ReganStar 100% agree, Laneige makes a FANTASTIC lip mask, also! Do you have a favorite flavor/scent?

I really enjoy the results from the Laneige sleeping masks as well @ReganStar! โ™ฅ๏ธ Iโ€™m partial to the LANEIGE Cica Sleeping Mask but my intro to sleeping masks came in the form of the original version. 

C for Clarify and Cocoa

IMG_20230716_213854585.jpg

• This one was fabulous and so cute!
  • Clear serum with extra in the pouch
  • The scent I definitely picked up strawberry and floral, not rose specifically light beautiful floral
  • The fit was great
  • I'm not sure about clarifying, but after 20 minutes, my skin was extremely hydrated and lightly moisturized and brighter
  • No lasting tackiness noticed
  • A+ mask absolutely Screenshot_20230719-133028.png

โ€ƒ

IMG_20230718_214302943.jpg

•  This is one of my favorite OG chocolate masks ever and my last jar because of course it's been discontinued ๐Ÿ˜ญ
  • It has little beads in the mask and while you apply it, they break up and smell like cocoa
  • I leave it on for about 15 minutes then wash off with a wet makeup eraser
  • My skin feels so soft and clean

Piglet would never fail ๐Ÿ’… ๐Ÿท @lmaster 

Without a doubt @quspork ๐Ÿ˜

Super cute print on that sheet mask, @lmaster. Ohhh, your last jar of the cocoa mask. ๐Ÿ˜ฒ Iโ€™m going to keep my fingers crossed they bring it back before you get through that jar. ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿผ I know itโ€™s a long shot but still. Enjoy it.

@itsfi it's so sad when amazing products are discontinued ๐Ÿ˜ž but I'll happily use what I have left and think of the memories in the future ๐Ÿคฃ

A quick update and doing catch up with some masks

X = exfoliating foot mask (Part 2) with watermelon being the fruit of choice for @keana1's fruits & veggies theme. I always get hungry seeing the fruits and veggies that come out for this theme.
Oh K! Watermelon Foot Mask.jpg
Spoiler
Oh K! Watermelon Foot Peel claimed peeling would occur within 4-6 days after wearing the mask for 1 - 1.5 hours. It lived up to those claims. Here's what the peeling looked like:

Day 4 - peeling noticeable on left foot; some larger pieces but not very large
Day 5 - peeling noticeable on the right foot - same as the left but these pieces were ever so slightly larger
Day 6 - more peeling on both feet
Day 7 - smooth soles with some skin flaking off in very small pieces on the top of my foot

Final Thoughts - these were fine. The soles of my feet were super soft and smooth. While not my favorite foot peeling masks, I would use these again. When I do, I'll plan to leave them on for a longer period of time and to make sure to spread the serum over the top of my feet so that area will experience more peeling. I'm aiming to use an exfoliating foot peel, whether this one or another one, once every 6 weeks; okay, maybe 6-8 weeks is more likely. ๐Ÿ˜‚ 

Thank you @ather; I would have completely forgotten to update this one. 
2 masks for the always fun rainbow / colorful theme (thank you @sonnydee) with a Y for youthful theme fitting into the mix as well.

Hydrogels are not my favorite sheet mask material for daily or regular use but I find they, like bio-cellulose masks, can be nice after a long day out in the sun - theyโ€™re typically cooling & hydrating, and the texture and structure of the sheet allows it to really adhere itself to the skin, almost like a suction, holding in the hydration from the essence close to the skin, helping with its absorption.

These two hydrogel masks (which I'm pretty sure have been reviewed before by others here at some point) were fine enough, performing as I would expect. I liked that the openings for the eyes and mouth for both were wide enough and rested nicely over those areas. Overall, these were not bad but not repurchases for me.

Holler and Glow Chasin' Rainbows:

Rainbows.jpg

Spoiler

The Holler and Glow Chasin' Rainbows Hydrogel Face Mask fit surprising well for a one piece, with only minor issues for me - the material covering the philtrum area was longer than I needed. This is a longer mask in general - great for my forehead as the material covered it beautifully, but there was a lot of excess material at the chin / jawline, more than a standard sheet mask. Not dealbreakers but since I donโ€™t use hydrogels all that often, Iโ€™m extra particular about them. The selling point of this mask is the pretty rainbow print on it. ๐ŸŒˆ So colorful. A hit with the little one and fitting for the rainbow / colorful mask theme a few / couple weeks back.
Rainbow mask.jpg

Loops Weekly Reset Rejevenating Mask:
Loops mask - youthful glow.jpg
Spoiler

The 2-piece Loops mask adhere and fit well, with the only fit issue being that the top half felt shorter than I would expect. It didnโ€™t surprise me that there would be space between the top of the mask and my hairline as my forehead seems to be longer than by our average forehead. What was surprising was how much spaxe was left unconverted - a lot more than what I have come to expect from a standard sheet mask and from a 2 piece hydrogel.

This particular version of the Loops hydrogel claims to provide a youthful glow. The INCI list on this one supports the anti-aging brightening claims but Iโ€™m not sure that the results, which I found typical for a hydrogel, were something Iโ€™d characterize as giving me a โ€œyouthful glow.โ€ My skin felt slightly hydrated and there was a freshness to my visage but it wasnโ€™t extra glowy or significantly brighter. Itโ€™s a meh. Not bad, just not one Iโ€™d repurchase.

21,373 Replies
testing