Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

Awwww @Shosh85 ๐Ÿ’—๐Ÿ˜Š

@Shosh85 I knew you would deliver!! ๐Ÿคฃ These look flipping scrumptious 

@lmaster  Ha ha ha! You crack me up!๐Ÿ˜‚  They both were definitely delicious! ๐Ÿ˜‹

@Shosh85, cookie and hot cocoa sound like a delicious duo for the tummy ๐Ÿ˜‹ and now with this mask pack, the face. There are some fun sheet masks that come out during the holidays. 

@itsfi  Yeah, the food related masks always lure me in! ๐Ÿ˜…๐Ÿ˜‹๐Ÿช

IMG_20240129_204930497.jpg

โ€ƒ

IMG_20240129_204947990.jpg

This is a fantastic mask I believe @Shosh85 showcased this beauty, miss you sweet friend!!

• The sheet on this one fits so good
  • Extra serum in the pack
  • The scent of ๐ŸŒ banana is fabulous
  • Wear time was 20 minutes
  • My skin absorbed this serum fully
  • No lasting tackiness
  • Soft hydrated and moisturizer skin for the win 

@lmaster, itโ€™s nice to have a banana scented mask to go for that also works, especially since the other ones which were great have been discontinued. 

@itsfi I know it's like anything we really like gets discontinued... Looking at you pixie and bliss bubble masks ๐Ÿคฏ

Hey friend! @lmaster  Yup, I love this one! ...... and it's only $1.50 at Ulta right now! ๐Ÿ‘Œ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@Shosh85 ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ’‹โค๏ธ I hope you are going good!!! Thank you for the info!! Can't have enough delicious banana scent

Oh goodness, I just picked up a handful of these @lmaster, love the scent on these!!! 

They are so good!!! @eshoe 

January 2024 Masks - a medley of wash off, sheet, & hair masks to kickoff the new year! 
1.2024 Masks - Collage.jpg

It's amazing how fast a month goes by, masking mavens! I've been listening to my skin and trying to give it what it needs in this finicky, Bay Area winter weather we've been experiencing - some days, we're dealing with heavy rain and strong winds that come with the atmospheric river storms; others, we're frolicking about in warm, bright, and sunny temps, with not a cloud in the sky. The one thing they have in common is the need to keep skin happy, healthy, and hydrated. 

Hair Mask:
Spoiler
The rich, thick-leaning, but not heavy feeling Amika Nourishing Hair Mask (gratis - thank you @TeamBIC!) is good at detangling and feels more like a conditioner than a mask. It's quick and easy to use, taking as little as 3 minutes to work its magic. This one includes that signature Amika scent, which to my nose, is a blend of fruity, floral, creamy amber and sandalwood notes - I find it pleasant but it is a very pronounced scent that may be too much for some. The mask is well suited for all hair types though those with fine hair like me will want to avoid using this immediately on the crown and instead use whatever product remains in the palm of your hands after running it through the length and ends). This is a loved mask - it leaves my fine, thin color-treated strands that use a heat styling product of one kind or another about 3+ times per week, soft, smooth, and moisturized, without weighing it down, in just one use and in as little as 3 minutes! Highly recommend. 
Wash Off:
Spoiler
Let me be the first to say that I've not always been a fan of Tata Harper products - love the brand conceptually and what they stand for, but the mix of essential oils in many of their products can be too much for my sensitive skin. So I was particularly intrigued when I saw this Tata Harper 5 Minute Facial for Sensitive Skin  set, consisting of an exfoliating cleanser mask and a brightening wash-off mask, released at Sephora.  Both can be used separately or as a duo mask; the set itself is great for travel an I'm glad I decided to pick it up. Recommend for those with sensitive skin.

• Exfoliating Cleanser Mask - This fragrance-free cleanser contains very finely milled granules blended into a soft whipped gel cream makes application soft & gentle, not abrasive on skin. It contains AHAs, is easy to spread, and does a good job at gently buffing away dead skin. A little goes a long way and there's quite a bit of product even in this mini tube. It can be used alone, as a cleanser and/or a mask. As a cleanser, I like this as a second cleanse in the evenings or a morning cleanser on mornings I feel I need a cleanser. Whenever I've used this cleanser this month, my skin is left feeling soft and smooth; with no irritation or redness, and looking fresh and bright.

• The Radiance Mask is lightweight and creamy, spreads easily onto the skin, without tingling or stinging, making it an ideal mask for those with sensitive skin. It's a quick and easy to use mask, with good results - my skin feels lightly hydrated and my complexion has a healthy glow to it after just 5 minutes. This mask, with the refining cleanser or on its own, would work well as part of your skincare prep before makeup application for a night out or special event. While there are other product out there that can deliver similar results, this one is particularly good for those with sensitive skin. 
The Sheets:
Spoiler
My sheet mask usage ranged from 1 - 3x per week this month, with most weeks being once per week. Two of the sheet masks in the photo were new to me; all three were good, with two being standouts. 

Mask:
Dr. Jart+ Cicapair โ„ข Sensitive Skin Serum Face Mask for Redness 1 Mask / pack 
Type:
Sheet
Material: 
Cellulose - thin-ish (but slightly more thick than other cellulose masks)
Fit: 
Very good - openings for the eyes & mouth are wide enough to fit a lot of face features and shape; the amount of material for the area between the eyes, above the lip & for the forehead
Adherence: 
Good; not quite second skin but adheres well to contours of face
Essence: 
Serum like, and there's A TON of it - the sheet is saturated in it
Viscosity: 
The serum consistency makes it more viscous than most sheet masks but not goopy or gooey
Scent: 
Faintly herbaceous, somewhat sweet; I pick up a slight honey scent but did not see anything to suggest that in the ingredients list
Performance: 
Wears comfortably for the entire 30 minutes I had on the mask. With the amount of serum, it seemed like I could have easily had it on for at least another half hour, at least. It will take a while for all the serum to absorb once the mask is removed, that's more due to the sheer volume of serum than the consistency of the serum. No tack or stickiness.
Results: 
Skin is soothed, calmed, with redness reduced (albeit temporarily). Skin looks and feels hydrated and supple long after the masking time ends.
Best suited for: 
All skin types, including and especially those with sensitive skin. Would be great for those prone to redness; after a day outdoors; and after a peel or intense exfoliation treatment
Buy or Bye?: 
A definite BUY

Mask:
Mediheal Ocean Black Toning Gel Mask 
Type:
Sheet
Material: 
Coconut Black Charcoal (I've used black charcoal masks before but not a coconut black charcoal one, until now)
Fit: 
Good - openings for eyes & mouth are wide enough so that your features don't feel smooshed. Decent amount of material covering the areas between the eyes, but there could be more material for the philtrum (area above the lips). There's a lot of material around the perimeter, making the sheet suitable for more face sizes.
Adherence: 
Good; adheres well to skin and contours of face
Essence: 
Clear, essence-like consistency
Viscosity: 
Slightly viscous - enough to keep the essence from running down the next or dripping everywhere, but not so viscous to be goopy or unwieldy
Scent: 
Fresh, soft floral - makes me think of honeysuckle but that isn't a listed ingredient
Performance: 
Good - Because of its larger overall size, the mask was a little heavy for me, along the perimeter but that can be easily adjusted by snipping off the excess material at the side and length at the chin. Otherwise, it wore well; I was able to multi-task while I had it on. 
Results: 
My skin was left looking brightened and feeling slightly more hydrated and bouncy.
Best suited for: 
All skin types, unless there's an ingredient you're allergic to or if you're sensitive to fragrance.
Buy or Bye?: 
This is a mask that I like. I'd be happy to use it again and would BUY.

Not a new mask as I started this pack last year; finished the pack this month.
Mask:
BCL Saborino Night Time Face Mask (Peach)
Type:
Sheet (multi-pack - 30 sheets)
Material: 
Cotton, thinner and smaller than most sheets, but pliable and stretchy
Fit: 
Good, because the material is stretchy, it can be adjusted to fit most face sizes and shapes. The opening for the eyes and mouth could be wider, but they're not so small that your features feel smooshed. Again, the pliability of the material means it can be stretched out with relative ease.
Adherence: 
Good, especially for sheets in a multi-pack. Each sheet held enough essence to make it adhere easily to the skin. 
Essence: 
Clear, light, thin essence
Viscosity: 
Slightly viscous, a little more watery than most sheet masks but not so much that it was running or dripping everywhere
Scent: 
Fresh, peach scent - not entirely natural but it didn't have that somewhat cloying artificial peach fragrance that some Asian beauty products can have
Performance: 
Very good for sheet masks in a multi-pack. Instructions recommend leaving the mask on for as little as 60 seconds. With 30 sheets in this pack, I've worn a mask for various durations, ranging from 1 minute to 20 minutes. Even at the 20 minute wear time, I did not feel the sheet drying up anywhere and there was no lifting as a result from drying of the material while worn.
Results: 
I'm impressed with the light moisture one sheet provides. My skin feels soft, smooth and slightly supple. 
Best suited for: 
All skin types, but it may not be moisturizing enough on its own for those with dry or very dry skin types
Buy or Bye?: 
I'm pretty selective when it comes to repurchasing multi-mask packs but this is one I would happily repurchase and recommend. An easy BUY. 

@itsfi I've been curious about the Tata Harper one - good to hear it was a winner for you! ๐Ÿ† 

LOVE that Cicapair mask! It is definitely high on my list of favorites! ๐Ÿ’š

Exceptional reviews, as usual Fi! ๐Ÿ™Œ

I went back and forth for a while on the Tata Harper set @Shosh85 because my skin does tend to be sensitive when it comes to that brand, but this duo worked really well for me. I'm not sure if I'd purchase a full size of either because I have similiar products that I like more but the pairing of these two really work well and they will be very convenient and effective for travel. If I finish these up before my next trip, I'll probably pick up another set to take with me; well, if the set is still around. ๐Ÿ˜€

Awww, thank you. I feel like a few of us jumped onto masking around the same time, when the very first mask thread started, and we learned so much about masking, including how to review masks, together. That was what? 7-ish, maybe 8, years ago?! Feels. ๐Ÿ’—

Love the vibrant pinks and greens, @itsfi! The Tata Harper sensitive set looks especially forgiving and gentle ๐Ÿ’ฎ

@eshoe, the Tata Harper set is lovely; so glad I picked it up - great price, great results!

Save for the Mediheal mask, it was looking a bit like matchy-matchy masking last month - that doesn't usually happen for me unless my masking is focused on an ingredient in which case, a coordination of colors isn't uncommon based on how the industry tends to package things with certain ingredients. 

The tata Harper mask sounds interesting @itsfi 

@lmaster, it's a great set - they're generous with the amount of product included and both are, as marketed, great for those with sensitive skin. Great for those who don't have sensitive skin as well.

@itsfi  You did a great job on masking this month! It sounds like the weather doesnโ€™t know how to makes it mind up! Too bad it didnโ€™t stay nice out so thereโ€™s more time for frolicking around! We have been lucky to have the nice weather again. I hope it stays!! 

@ather, thank you. My skin had its ups and downs this month, in uncharacteristic ways than it normally does. Not sure what triggered the downs (breaking out, but not in the areas where that usually happens; more redness, etc) so I dialed things down and went back to basics with my skincare. That seems to be working โ€ฆ ๐Ÿคž๐Ÿผ 

Thatโ€™s great news that youโ€™re enjoying nice weather; you had a rough stretch of storms for a bit there! I hope it stays too.

21,372 Replies
testing