Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2023 Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@missy94612 this packaging reminds me of the Peripera Smoothie masks. โ€˜Not badโ€™ is better than causing irritation, I guess ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ

@missy94612 ME said, "Dang, it would be more interesting if it actually smelled like blueberries."

I second this, @CookieGirl1 @missy94612 ๐Ÿซ

A for azulene, anti-inflammatory, antioxidants and anti-aging
A - Azulene(1.5.2023).jpg
Product Details
Spoiler
The soft, thin gauze sheet of the Dermatory Hypoallergenic Cica Gauze Mask adheres wonderfully to the skin and is soaked in a clear, watery essence packed with some wonderfully soothing, hydrating and moisturizing ingredients, including glycerin, guaiazulene, rosewater, collagen, betaine, urea, allantoin, hyaluronic acid, ceramide, and extracts of honey, olive oil, cica, aloe and a variety of florals (chamomile, chrysanthemum and rose). There's no added fragrance so the mild and dissipating fresh, herbaceous and floral scent is from this blend of ingredients.

The openings for the eyes and mouth are on the narrow side, but can, along with the extra material along the width and length of the sheet, be easily adjusted for a more tailored fit. Thirty minutes flew by while I had on the mask, and after patting and pressing in the excess essence and allowing the slightly tacky-to-the-touch feel dissipate, my skin felt soft and well nourished (hydrated and moisturized), with the redness around my nose and cheeks looking much less noticeable.  The quality of this mask, from the ingredients and material to the results is beautiful and feels like something that would yield wonderful results with consistent use, but the price point for daily masking like that would be a challenge. 
Redesigned & Reformulated?
Spoiler
This was a wonderfully soothing and nourishing mask. It was on the pricey side when it comes to sheet mask, but even so, it's a mask I would happily repurchase if it was still in production. Yep. It looks like this one has been discontinued. It seems as if that decision may be due to the brand electing to choose for a more sustainable form of masks as it has come out with a 30-sheet mask pack that is similar but not identical to this Cica Gauze Mask. Unlike this particular sheet mask, the mask pack (which yes, I have purchased) is made of a 0.2mm thin sheet and has a different mix of ingredients. The ingredients list on the mask pack suggests that the soothing and hydrating properties are still present, but others, most notably honey, are no longer part of the blend. As a fan of honey for skincare, that bums me out a little, but not enough to steer me away from giving the new daily mask pack form of this sheet a try. Stay tuned.
Edited to add (1.6.2022) - the closest thing Iโ€™ve found to the ingredients in the sheet mask are these gauze pads, also from the same brand. 
E3223F40-767A-4DF0-B24A-0AF5A6B2ED52.jpeg

โ€ƒ(photo from Olive Young Global)

These pads include some ingredients not found in the original sheet mask, like licorice root extract and beta glucan. These can be used a couple of ways - as a spot mask, for lack of a better word, or maybe a better way to describe that is to use them like a larger slice or point mask, placing them on the cheeks or forehead. 

Another option for Cica and gauze @Kim888!

Sounds like a great mask @itsfi 

It is, er, was. I guess that's why it was discontinued @lmaster?! Hahaha! I wonder if saying it's horrible will keep them around just a smidge longer. ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜‚

@itsfi it never fails!!!

That mask sounded amazing @itsfi may she rest in peace and maybe miraculously make a return one day ๐Ÿ˜‰ I get so excited when I read anything reduces someone's redness because that dosen't happen enough imo.

Oh, how great would that be if they miraculously brought this one back @CynthieLu! ๐Ÿ˜ I wonder if weโ€™ll see more redness reducing formulations, in skincare in general but sheet masks in particular, with maskne and just more attention to the skin barrier and inflammation. ๐Ÿค” 

@itsfiI really would love to see it happen. If there's a big enough market for it you'd think maybe ๐Ÿค” 

Even just the harm we accidently cause ourselves from actives and exfoliants ๐Ÿ˜…been there too lol

@itsfi  What?! I didn't know these were discontinued! Makes sense though, since they're ones we like ๐Ÿคจ

I really liked this one too, and have a couple more from the brand in my stash to try. My favorite one so far was the Dermatory Propolis Ampoule Shot Mask. I'll be curious what you think of the mask packs! Have you tried any other Dermatory masks?

I know, right @Shosh85! ๐Ÿ˜Œ If itโ€™s one we like, then it seems like we have to guess how long it is until itโ€™ll be discontinued, and stock up when or if we can! 

Oh, I forgot about the Dermatory ampoule shot masks. I have a few of those - will have to check for the propolis one; making a note itโ€™s a favorite of yours. ๐Ÿ“ Love propolis. ๐Ÿ’›

This sounds like a pleasant and soothing mask, @itsfi, albeit pricey (eta and discontinued ๐Ÿ˜ข). The pads are especially appealing.   

@eshoe, Iโ€™ve had good results with the masks from this brand but have seen quite a few discontinued ones from them too, in a short time, so thatโ€™s a bummer but probably shouldnโ€™t be too surprising. The square gauze pads seem to be a reformulation of their previous (and widely popular) pads. 

I wonder what the reasoning is for such a quick turnover with the masks, @itsfi. That is so unfortunate! The gauze pads are definitely intriguing, though. Hopefully those are in it for the long haul!

There could be a host of reasons @eshoe.  Quick turnover isnโ€™t that uncommon in the Korean skincare space; thereโ€™s a lot of emphasis on innovation and new ingredients and that sometimes leads companies to change their approach or focus. It could also be the brand wanting to look for something more sustainable and eco friendly. They had round pads in the line, with similar but not identical ingredients to this mask, that was / is hugely popular and for some a substitute for the sheet mask itself for cost reasons; maybe they decided to try to align those two products to create a more similar substitute.  

Oh boy, I started replying to this a couple of days ago I think, @itsfi ๐Ÿซค Melding the two for whatever reason (it would certainly eliminate redundancy!) would make sense, for sure.

I feel like the quick turnover credo has spilled over into more and more brands/products. Never get too cozy with a sheet mask is something I wish I would have learned long ago ๐Ÿ˜‚  

@eshoe, some sheet masks have been around forever, only undergoing redesigns in packaging or size/shape of the mask, like  MyBeautyDiary, innisfree Real Squeeze and Etude House 0.2mm masks for example; but sheet masks have always come and gone at a more frequent rate - I look at it as anyone who hasn't had a sheet mask discontinued or reformulated is very lucky.

And that person should also buy a lottery ticket, @itsfi ๐Ÿ˜‚

@itsfi 

I don't think we've tried a gauze mask but it sounds nice.

@missy94612, gauze masks are worth checking out if you run across one. They're sometimes referred to as "dressing masks" like a gauze bandage dressing. Wishtrend makes a moisturizing one that is fantastic for dry and very dry skin types (or most skin types in the cold winter). Isntree makes a nice one too, with mugwort as the key ingredient.

3 Replies
testing