Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a ๐Ÿ’ฐmask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@Mellmars1185  Itโ€™s so good. 

@ather  

I see that clay mask a lot on here. Will have to try it sometime.

@nuinui933  Itโ€™s just so good! I know a lot on here that love it!

@ather 

I like the green tea line from the brand a lot but have tried too many other things from the brand. Def going to look for a sample the next time I'm in the store.

@ather, that innisfree Pore Clearing Clay Mask 3.38 oz/ 100 mL is a love for me! โ™ฅ๏ธ Iโ€™m working my way through my second jar.

Do you use Jet Lag as a wash off or an overnight mask?

@itsfi  Overnight mask. I hate washing off all those great ingredients 

I'm a week behind. This masking session was inspired by @Aaliaa's female founded brands theme. I use "founded" because sometimes brands are purchased by larger companies and the founder at some point may no longer be part of the brand. That's not the case with these masks here as I believe the founders continue to own the brand and play an active role in its operations. 

Female-founded brands + samples.jpg

Wash Off Mask:

Spoiler
I applied the Chantecaille Detox Clay Mask on my nose, philtrum and chin area the other day - my nose and lower T-zone basically, the parts of my face most prone to oiliness. I know @eshoe has tried some Chantecaille masks but I don't recall offhand if this was one of them. 

This is a charcoal mask that feels creamy going on - it has a dark charcoal grey hue with a subtle, deep indigo-navy tint to it. I did not feel any stinging, tingling or burning, but I did feel something that lead me to think that the actives in this mask were working. This non-tingling sensation was extremely gentle and presented zero cause for concern. There's a very faint, slightly sweet, calming scent to the mask, which surprised me as I find most if not all Chantecaille products to be fragranced, if not very heavily fragranced.  

Results on this also surprised me in the best of ways - the pores on my nose looked clear and less obvious, and I was pleased to see that some redness around a couple of spots seemed to have been diminished after the recommended 10 minutes of wear. My makeup also applied and wore beautifully after using this mask

Now, as for whether a full size will be in the works? I'm torn. The results are wonderful, but could they be had with another mask? Sure. Did I enjoy this one? Yes? Would I enjoy it at $85? No. But would I pay that for this mask? Not sure; I really do enjoy it, but I don't see myself picking this up at full freight. If there's a sale? I don't know; it's unlikely, but I wouldn't say never. I guess time will tell if this will find its way home to me. I can't imagine picking one up anytime soon though since I have a few similar type masks I'm still working my way through. 

Hair Mask:

Spoiler
Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair!โ„ข Deep Conditioning Hair Mask has a great, catchy name that definitely grabs your attention, and it did mine 5 or 6 years ago. It's kept my attention for that time because of how well it performs on my fine, slightly dry, strands. It leaves my hair soft and lightly hydrated, with a lovely, soft shine. The full size has been a repeated repurchase, so much so that I'm definitely stocked up for a while. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Lip Care:

Spoiler
Summer Fridays Lip Butter Balm for Hydration & Shine Vanilla came on my radar because of @ather's love for it. I was being good by picking up a couple of these blisters to try first and thanks to @missjeanie's sample challenge this month, I gave it a shot and ... it's love. It's emollient, without being goopy or greasy and moisturizes my lips beautifully. No one here should be surprised if the full size shows up in my spring sale haul. It's good. Very good. ๐Ÿ’–

About the brands:

If folks are interested, I've included some information on the founders of these brands. Some info is taken from previous posts I've made on the thread about the brand and its founder(s).

Spoiler

Briogeo is from the Italian word "Brio" meaning "vibrance and full of life" and the Latin word "Geo" meaning "of earth and nature". The brand launched in 2013, before "clean ingredients" were widely talked about in the beauty space. The beauty brand is founder and CEO Nancy Twine's second career, one she embarked on full time after leaving a promising career at Goldman Sachs. This thriving and renowned line of naturally derived and sustainably packaged hair care products was inspired by the homemade hair treatments Twine would make with her mom. 

Chantecaille started as a small fragrance house in 1998, based on founder Sylvia Chantecaille's desire to be the first beauty company based on science and flowers. The brand has branched out since then, creating a bevy of luxe skincare and makeup products, and, along the way, launching several collections benefiting various conservation efforts. 

Summer Fridays, a clean, cruelty-free, vegan skincare brand was founded by beauty and lifestyle bloggers Marianna Hewitt and Lauren Gores Ireland. Their foray into the skincare space started with their masks and their brand has grown over time to include serums, treatments, perfume oils and lip balm! 

@itsfi 

The Chantecaille mask is divine. I love it.

Ohh the SF lippie sounds fabulous!! @itsfi 

@lmaster, itโ€™s soooo good! My lips feel nourished. I canโ€™t believe I just now got around to trying it. Makes the timing of the spring sale a blessing and a curse. ๐Ÿคฃ 90% chance Iโ€™ll pick up another one before the end of the sale, unless thereโ€™s a lip balm set that comes out during the sale (this is just wishful thinking ok my part; I havenโ€™t heard anything about a SF lip balm set for this sale period). ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

Thank you @itsfi for your review.  I have tried a few of Chantecaille products.  I used an eye cream that nearly did away with my eye crease wrinkles, at least temporarily.   But their products are expensive.   I have not tried the Summer Fridays line as yet.  But I may put the lip balm in my Spring haul.  Thanks again!

@Cissy63, I hear ya on the spendy price tag on Chantecaille beauties. ๐Ÿ’ธ That eye cream sounds amazing!! I have a few of their makeup products but when it comes to their skincare, I tend to stick to foil samples or travel sizes or deluxe samples that come along with gwps. 

Ohhh, the Summer Fridays Lip Butter Balm for Hydration & Shine Vanilla is very good. Thick but still glides on easily and has such a nice, moisturizing feel to it. @missjeanie, a lip balm aficionado loves it too. Iโ€™m just bummed it took me so long to give it a shot. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I might need to pick up another one during the sale. Hahaha!

The brand has some good skincare products and masks too. I find the Summer Fridays Jet Lag Mask to be okay but it is popular with a lot of folks for its moisturizing properties, including @ather who is familiar with cold weather ๐Ÿฅถ.  Summer Fridays Overtime Mask 2.25 oz/ 64 g is also a hit with many folks on this board, like @Shosh85 - it smells good too.

I enjoy their Summer Fridays R + R Mask 2.25 oz/ 64 g - itโ€™s not everyoneโ€™s fave - the granules are larger than most so it takes some effort to keep it from being too harsh on the skin, but Iโ€™ve never had a problem with it. It also leaves a bit of a film on the skin that requires a wash cloth to really get all the mask off. I actually like the hydration / moisturizing effect from the film; it helps to make more gentle and nourishing on the skin. I also use a washcloth to remove my rinse off masks so thatโ€™s not an extra step for me. 

@itsfi  Oooo I like Summer Fridays R + R Mask 2.25 oz/ 64 g  also! And I like the film. I like the glowing look I get from it. I usually use it Saturday mornings. 

@ather, I thought I was the only one who liked the film. ๐Ÿ˜ Itโ€™s like a shield over the skin before wiping off all the product - a shield to seal in hydration and moisture just a little longer. ๐Ÿฅฐ Ahhh, your Saturday masking sounds AMAZING! Good self care and skin care. Makes me so happy that have that time for you! โ™ฅ๏ธ

@itsfi  I am super lucky. I usually take a long shower/self care day on Saturdays. While my husband and little guy get groceries!! They get to bond and I get alone time!! 

I love that @ather! โ™ฅ๏ธ Itโ€™s so good for you, good for your boys. Much needed and well earned all around! ๐Ÿฅฐ

@itsfi  I agree!!! 

@itsfi Oh I'm so glad that you loved the Summer Fridays Lip Butter Balm Trio !  It's been a love of mine since I tried that same sample.  I'll be watching your hauls ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

"hauls," you say @missjeanie?! What makes you think I'll make multiple ones? Because you know me! Hahaha! ๐Ÿ˜‚ I have lost count of the number of times that I've told myself that it'll just be one haul this year and then ... 

I think the trio set is OOS in the US so it'll be the vanilla one for me, maybe the vanilla beige variety too, for the spring sale. ๐Ÿ›’  Speaking of which, I really need to firm up that "final" list for the first sale haul! ๐Ÿ˜‰ There's usually something new that drops during the sale so I'm pretty sure there will be a second sale haul. ๐Ÿ›

@itsfi @I always feel like thatโ€™s the hard thing about super expensive masks! The expectations are so much higher - thanks for sharing your thoughts. 

i really wish there were more mini expensive masks - I love trying them but youโ€™re right, not at $85 

@Kim888, oh yes, more mini masks would be wonderful! Probably unlikely though since it's not very practical for companies to do so. I've seen DS of Chantecaille skincare products occasionally in some promo / gwp but it's not always their masks. 

Yeah, $85 is a bit steep for a mask for me. This raises an interesting question though - how much money would you or have you spent on a mask that you really liked? ๐Ÿค”

1 Reply
testing