Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

We're so behind on posting. I'll try to put them all together in one post. I am sorry for the long post. 

Fruit and Frudia.JPG

From last month, F for Frudia and fruit, G for grape and targeted masking - the mask is said to minimize appearance of pores, tighten skin, and improve skin texture. Lots of watery essence but not drippy.

HE SAID: The scent is so much better on this one than that other one we used. This smells like grape candy. I like grape candy. My face felt moist but I'm not sure about my pores - my wife said they look smaller. 

SHE SAID: Sweet, grape candy smell, maybe grape Jolly Rancher. Skin felt soft, smooth and looked a little brighter, more awake. My husband's pores on his nose looked smaller.

Flower.JPG
Also last month. F for flower - rose. This was a very thin mask, watery essence, said to brighten and hydrate

HE SAID: Skin looked less red and felt hydrated so that's good, but it also felt sticky - I don't like my face sticky. Sure hope my wife likes this one because I don't know if I'd want to use it again. Doesn't smell so good either - not like roses at all.

SHE SAID: Doesn't smell like roses; smells like baby powder. Like the thin material. Skin felt lightly hydrated but not enough for my dry skin this time of the year. Maybe it will work better when the weather warms up. I'd give it a try then, but I like the Etude House 0.2mm Rose mask so much more.

HE SAID: Yes, baby powder, that's what it smelled like. Not the good kind either. Yes, that Etude House rose mask was good. All those were good. 

Jelly and Kina.JPG
Last week's mask - J for jelly and K for Kina

HE SAID: I'm not liking these ones much. Too goopy and sticky.

SHE SAID: Feels refreshing on the skin; love the thick gel serum - leaves my skin feeling nourished.

HE SAID: Oh this is good. If you like it, these are all yours. I can't with the sticky.

@missy94612  

Your 'he said, she said' mask sheet reviews are awesome! LOOOOOVVE. Also, love that your husband masks so frequently with you. Mine will occasionally but he just shrugs when I ask him for his thoughts on a mask. lol.

@missy94612 I know I have said this before, but I just love your โ€œHe said/She saidโ€ posts! The Frudia one with its Jolly Rancher scent sounds especially appealing ๐Ÿ˜‹

@missy94612 I really feel like the purple frudia mask you guys used had to be compromised in some way because when I used it, it smelled divine!! Great reviews on these

@missy94612 Anything that smells like grape gets immediate approval from me:D 

@missy94612, I always love reading your and your husbandโ€™s reviews of your masking sessions.  ๐Ÿฅฐ  Sounds like the Frudia grape was the winner for both of you with this group of masks. Also sounds like you inherited a few more masks for yourself. ๐Ÿ˜† 

For a couple of masking sessions this past week, the ingredient spotlight was on Idebenone (listed as hydroxydecyl ubiquinone), a synthetic version of co-enzymeQ10, which is known for its anti-aging properties. I included an at-a-glance chart breaking down the different criteria to more easily see how these two sheet masks compare to each other in the tl;dr: spoiler. 

tl;dr: both sheet masks performed wonderfully, but a side-by-side comparison (and a review of the INCI list for both masks) point to a clear winner that reflects my personal preference as well. 

Spoiler
Criteria / Mask: innisfree Skin Clinic Idebenone FirmingJMsolution Glory Aqua Idebenone Egg MaskWinner: 
Material:100% cottonTencel (?)JMsolution
Claim(s):FirmingFirming & elasticity--
Adherence:GreatExceptionalJMsolution
FitStandardAlmost perfectJMsolution
Essence:Clear, thin, slightly viscousClear, watery, but not runnyTie
ScentFresh, citrusy (but not lemon, per se)Unscentedinnisfree - interestingly, I preferred the fresh scent to no scent at all.
Performance (30 minutes):Wore comfortably; not quite second skin feelVery comfortable wear; feels like second skinJMsolution 
Tack / Stickiness:NoneVery slight bit of tackinessinnisfree
Results:Fresh faced and hydrated skin.Experienced some slight firming on forehead and high points of cheekbone. Skin looked and felt hydrated with healthy fresh brightness to it.JMsolution
Repurchase:YesYesTie

Overall Winner: JMsolution Glory Aqua Idebenone Egg Mask. I don't recall the first time I used a sheet mask from JMsolution but it's definitely been before the pandemic so my love for this brand goes way back. This is another winner from the brand. 

I for idebenone and J for JMsolution

I - Idebenone + Jmsolution.jpg

Spoiler
The soft and ultra thin Tencel sheet of the JMsolution Glory Aqua Idebenone Egg Mask is perfection, or as close to it as I've come in a sheet mask. It's just the teensiest bit too wide at the temples and sides of the lower half of my face. The essence is thin, watery but not runny or drippy, and unscented. It adheres exceptionally well, which, along with the great fit, makes for a very comfortable wear - the mask feels like second skin. The slight tack that remains after an half hour is not an issue for me but may not be everyone's cup of tea. It does not linger and can be easily addressed by following up with the rest of your skincare routine in any event. Interestingly, despite having no expectation of experiencing any firming, I did feel some slight firming on my forehead and around the high points of the cheeks, the latter being where I typically experience firming from a mask, if at all. My skin also looked and felt hydrated, with a healthy fresh brightness to it. Most, if not all, of the JMsolution sheet masks I've used have been good, if not great. This one fits into the great category for me, and is definitely a repurchase.

Ingredients:
INCI list - JMsolution Glory Aqua Idebenone Egg MaskINCI list - JMsolution Glory Aqua Idebenone Egg Mask

for idebenone, innisfree, intensive, interesting and inspired by the phenomenal @Shosh85, including a detox dandy mask!

I - Innisfree + Idebenone.jpg

Spoiler
Sheet Mask:
Spoiler
There's something about the innisfree Skin Clinic Mask Idebenone Firming that I really like. Not sure if it's the soft, thin material (that I originally thought might be made up of Tencel fiber but turns out is 100% cotton)? Or maybe it was the refreshing, citrus (but not lemon per se) scent of the clear, slightly viscous essence? Or perhaps I was won over by the fresh faced, hydrated skin that stared back at me in the mirror after 30 minutes without tack or stickiness after removing the mask? It's likely the combination of all those features, coupled with the mask's great adherence and comfortable wear. While I didn't experience any firming from the mask, I also didn't expect to with one, single, isolated use.  That being said, I am curious what results would come from regular, consistent daily use of this mask. Hmmm... definitely something I'll consider.  

Ingredients:
INCI list - innisfree Skin Clinic Idebenone Firming Mask (from innisfree direct)INCI list - innisfree Skin Clinic Idebenone Firming Mask (from innisfree direct)
Wash Off Mask
Spoiler
I first learned of the OTZI Dough Therapy Pore Treatment Mask 3.38 oz/ 100 mL from Shosh85 - she posted about it here and on a previous hauls thread. This wash-off mask has a very interesting consistency - it's very soft, but feels bouncy, jelly and dough-y at the same time; a little goes a long way. I read that this is inspired by rice dough and that makes a lot of sense to me as I did think this looked and felt like it had a mochi / rice flour like bounce to it. It's a gentle kaolin-based mask and my experience with it is that it does a nice job of clearing out or detoxing the pores on my nose, which is where I concentrated the application. It works quickly too - 5 minutes per the instructions; I probably kept it on a little longer; it applies and washes off very easily and smoothly. I'd say that it dries down without drying out the skin, and I'm inclined to apply it all over my face next time. I didn't pick up a scent, which makes it more suitable for everyone. Overall, this mask does a nice job of de-gunking my pores without stripping my skin of oil or making it feel tight; in fact, my skin feels slightly hydrated; a detox dandy, indeed! It seems to add some brightness to my skin too, though that might just be the results of having detoxed the ick out of my pores. This is a good one for regular use. I wish I would have tried it earlier; will have to remember to do that when fall / winter roll around again. I'm sure I'll still be working on this tub - it's got a lot of product in it. Because of the consistency, my one suggestion might be to include a spatula with the product - if it fit inside the cap, even better!
Hair Mask
Spoiler
The amika Triple Rx Hair Mask is a wonderfully scented, once-a-week creamy hair mask that softens and smooths dry, dull or damaged hair, giving it a boost of hydration and healthy shine. This is one of my top 3 hair masks - and another one I owe a huge thanks to Shosh for - thank you!!. It's sadly been discontinued (of course, it has), a while ago, actually, but the good news is that when my local TJ Maxx / Marshall's finally received some inventory of it, I stocked up. I should be good for a while. ๐Ÿ˜‚ This makes my hair happy.

@itsfi  

Did you say "firming?" Sign me up! The dough therapy mask sounds intriguing as well. You always find the most unique masks.

@elleb810, IKR?!! I don't typically feel firming after one use so that definitely stood out with this mask.

The real star of the show here, @itsfi, is the bright and cheery yellow bouquet of daisies! Of course, the JM Solution sounds fantastic, too ๐Ÿ˜ And the Amika, well, that is about the thickest and most nourishing hair mask around. Much love for that, as well.

@eshoe, yes, the chrysanthemum daisies definitely add a spark of joy; maybe I should just post and review on flowers. ๐Ÿ™‚ But then my skin might suffer. Ack! ๐Ÿ˜ง Can't have that. ๐Ÿ˜†

@itsfi ohhhh the jm egg mask,,, sounds excellent!

@lmaster, the JMsolution mask was good at the outset; I would have repurchased on the fit, feel and hydrating results alone. Top that with actually experiencing some firming from just this one use? Yeah, I'm sold. ๐Ÿ˜ Luckily, it's not too hard to track down and the price point isn't bad - I've seen it on sale for $2.00 a few times which I think is a really great for what you're getting with this mask. 

@itsfi ohhhh that's a great sale price!!

@lmaster, I thought so too, especially for this "Deluxe" line from the brand. At first I wondered whether the lower price might be because it was nearing its expiration date, but nope, this one had a 2024 expiration date. If only I knew it would be such a great mask, I would have stocked up! Er...because that's really something I need to do - stock up on sheet masks! ๐Ÿ˜‚

@itsfi 

I've never heard of idebenone until now but if it's got some firming effects, like that JM Solution mask, I'm all for it. Great chart - always love your charts - they're very informative. My husband is intrigued by the dough mask.

@missy94612, thank you! Charts helped me keep track of my masks when I first started masking and come in handy when comparing similar masks - thereโ€™s a certain objectivity with the charts, I suppose. ๐Ÿ˜† Both these were good; Iโ€™m impressed with the JMsolution mask giving off a firming feel. That brand has been one of the great discoveries since I started masking. I want to give some of their other skincare products a try after getting through my current stash. 

@Margalee, Carolโ€™s Daughter is a lovely brand. ๐Ÿ’— Sephora used to carry Carolโ€™s Daughter; I donโ€™t remember when they stopped stocking it, but in the 2000s, CD was available online and in Sephora stores. I think you can find CD products in Ulta, some Target and Sally Beauty stores; all 3 storesโ€™ website should have products available too. 

Thank you for the rec on the SEPHORA COLLECTION Vitamin Mask Watermelon + Vitamin E mask. Iโ€™ll take a look at the ingredients list. I tried the matcha version within that line and it didnโ€™t agree with me but the watermelon + vitamin E mask may be different. How often do you use the vitamin E mask?

Such a fun comparison, @itsfi! I do love a good Innisfree mask, but the JM Solutions one sounds really good. 

@quspork, if I hadnโ€™t tried the JMsolution Idebenone mask, I would have made a note to pick up a handful of the innisfree one to test out results if used daily (or even every other day). 

1 Reply
testing