Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge

@itsfi   Right??  Iโ€™m looking forward to it.  I donโ€™t want to do skincare quite yet cause I did my makeup for the first time in a while and want to enjoy it as long as possible but itโ€™s washed and ready for whenever I am๐Ÿ˜œ

@heartsmyface  Ooooh, now I want one! Love that it comes with a little sachet! Hope you enjoy it! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

Ooo fancy! Enjoy @heartsmyface 

R is for Raspberry mmmmmm

IMG_20201028_215429887.jpg

โ€ƒ

Spoiler
This was a medium thickness sheet that was soaked in a white milky serum that smelled so delicious!! It was a mix between honey and berry. The sheet fit like perfection and was very flexible. Wear time was 20 minutes, no lasting tackiness and the results were hydrated, moisturized and nourished skin. I did not apply additional moisturizer and I woke up with skin that felt very happy!! This will definitely be a repurchase!! IMG_20201028_215434481.jpg

โ€ƒ

@lmaster  Oh my gosh!  At first glace I thought the packaging had blood platelets on it!! Raspberries!!!   Hahaha!  ๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™€๏ธ

@heartsmyface 

tenor.gif

โ€ƒ

@lmaster   This one sounds like one I need to try! Love that it has raspberry, honey AND a milky serum! Definitely going on my list of future purchases! So happy you enjoyed it!

You were exactly who I thought would especially love this mask!! @Shosh85 

@lmaster  Awe, you're sweet ๐Ÿ˜˜

Echoing @eshoe, berry and honey! Also milky serum. Sounds wonderful @lmaster!

@ShortErica oh it was outstanding!! Not to mention how hydrated and moisturized my skin felt in the morning,,, without additional moisturizer!!

Raspberry and honey, @lmaster ๐Ÿฅฐ Pretty sure I havenโ€™t tried this brand yet, though I believe @quspork has recommended an essence they make. This one sounds absolutely wonderful!

Yes, I loved Goodal's waterest line, @eshoe but they seem to have discontinued it ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ’” The mask sounds great though, @lmaster!

@quspork @lmaster of COURSE itโ€™s discontinued, itโ€™s the fate of the great๐Ÿ˜‚

This is easily a new favorite!! @quspork @eshoe most definitely worth trying

@lmaster, the packaging on this mask is very pretty, refreshing. Iโ€™ve used 2 masks from this line and really enjoyed them. Iโ€™ll have to see if I have the raspberry one; the results sound amazing! ๐Ÿ˜

@itsfi I'm going to have to try more from the brand,, but this was definitely an A+ 5โญ mask!!

@lmaster, definitely keep us posted on ones you try! ๐Ÿ˜ Love it when a brand has several noteworthy masks (and other skincare goodies) as part of its collection! ๐Ÿ’—

Absolutely!! @itsfi 

I is for Irish Sea Moss, International, and Interesting . . . ๐Ÿค”

KNC Beauty Irish Sea Moss.jpeg

The I's have it. Irish sea moss is said to help rebuild damaged skin by imparting it with hydration and moisture to make it supple and healthy. International because based on the literature on the reverse side of the box, the sheet masks in this set are "responsibly manufactured" in China, for KNC Beauty, a Los Angeles, California based US brand, and apparently with some regulatory support from an UK based company. Interesting because the mask seemed more like a hydrogel mask than the bio-cellulose, as marketed.

Spoiler
The 13-ingredients list of the KNC Beauty Big Drip Irish Sea Moss + Marula Oil Super Hydrating Bio-Cellulose Face Mask immediately caught my eye. The ingredients highlighted by the brand are Irish moss (aka sea moss; rich in Omega 3s, helps to rebuild damaged skin); marula oil (full of antioxidants, Omega 6 and Omega 9 and known for its anti-pollu-aging (I had to drop that in somewhere!) skin benefit;) and rose centifolia (anti-oxidant, moisturizing and helps to tighten pores and reduce redness). No alcohol or added fragrance in this one @lmaster @Shosh85Sounds great to me; my skin could definitely benefit from these ingredients. I also found it noteworthy that this mask contains tremella mushroom in it, which I've found to be a useful ingredient for hydrating my skin. I do want to point out that this mask also contains coconut oil and mica, for those who may be sensitive or prefer that their skincare not include such ingredients. 

Mask Material and Essence: The essence is light, slightly viscous and has a subtle fresh, slightly earthy scent to it. The mask itself is a clear mask with blue sparkles sprinkled throughout so that when I bundled up the mask after removing it, it has a slightly sparkly pale blue hue to it - it's very pretty. 

Bio-cellulose? Or hydrogel?
H
ere's where the I for interesting comes in. The mask is marketed as being a bio-cellulose face mask. However, when I pulled it out of the packet, my first thought was "this looks and feels like a hydrogel mask."  Then I put it on and thought "this wears like a hydrogel mask, a good hydrogel mask at that." Hmmm.... Two masks came to mind when I was using this KNC Beauty mask - (1) the now discontinued Glow Recipe Watermelon Sheet Mask, though this KNC Beauty one was lighter but also more durable and adhered better, and (2)  Etude House Jewel Beam Gel Mask Twinkling Diamond which I very much liked. I went to look up my photo of and notes for the EH mask and they say it's a hydrogel mask. Interesting, right? I reached out to the brand to see if I could get more information because I'm curious whether it's a misprint with the packaging or whether I'm just confused. which is entirely possible, generally speaking, but I do sorta feel like I have a fairly good feel for hydrogel vs. bio-cellulose masks. I received a response back that says that the masks are bio-cellulose. I dunno, but I have 2 more masks from the line; I'll try to remember to post a pic of the mask if I find the material similar to the Irish Sea Moss version.

Fit & Adherence: This mask is much smaller in size and shape than other masks I've used. Initially, I thought it was a two-piece mask and that I just pulled out the top portion. Nope. It's the entire mask. It does have some ability to stretch and conform to my facial contours. The only issues for me fit-wise, was that there wasn't enough material to cover my entire forehead, which isn't unusual at all, and the eye and mouth holes needed some adjustments to better fit with my facial features. I typically need to snip off anywhere from an inch to two inches at the chin and jawline of a sheet mask. Not so with this one. Ooouh! You better believed I was both surprised and happy to discover this to be the case.  Adherence was wonderful!! My experience with hydrogel masks (it just looks and feels like a hydrogel mask to me!) is that adherence can be a challenge because there's a certain amount of slip to the material and essence that causes it to slide about. Not so with this mask. 

Performance & Results: I intended to keep the mask on for the recommended 20 minutes, but lost track of time and probably had it on for close to my usual 30, which was probably the long end of wear time for this mask; at least, for those with dehydrated skin like mine. My skin felt supple to the touch and nicely hydrated as I removed the mask from my face. The slightest bit of essence that remained was quickly absorbed, initially leaving the slightest bit of tack that dissipated within a few minutes. My skin looked and felt soft, lightly hydrated, and looked fresh and brightened, all results that I'm happy with.  

Overall Thoughts: I like this mask and am interested in trying out the other variations from the line. Irish sea moss is a new skincare ingredient to me and from what I've read about it, sounds like something that could be beneficial for my skin over time. All of the masks in this line contain Irish moss so that provides even more incentive for me to try them out sooner rather than later. ๐Ÿ˜ 

Ingredients (from kncbeauty (dot) com) 

Spoiler
Aqua/Water/Eau, Glycerin, Chondrus Crispus Powder, Trehalose, Sodium Hyaluronate, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Tremella Fuciformis Polysaccharide, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Oil, Sclerocarya Birrea Seed Oil, Rosa Rugosa Flower Extract, Mica, Allantoin, Caprylhydroxamic Acid

@itsfi  Hmmm, now I want to try this, just because I'm curious about the material. Was it thicker than you'd expect biocellulose to be?

I'm not sure I've tried a mask with Irish Sea Moss, but it sounds like a great ingredient to look out for! Glad this one turned out nice for you!

3 Replies
testing