Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

💕😌 2024 Masking Challenge 😌💖

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a 💰mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks💗

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge

@ather  The Honey mask definitely won this round 😉

That is a shame the Naruko mask wasn’t more hydrating, @Shosh85. The packaging is absolutely stunning! Reminds me of a style of doodling my Dad taught me years ago😊

@eshoe That is definitely an awesome way to doodle! Do have any samples of that doodling to show?
There's a few others with great artwork as well:

D29916E8-043F-4CA1-A49D-87C6D82544F8.jpeg

@Shosh85   Omg I’m just scrolling through and saw this photo!  What are these masks and where did they come from?   Ahhhh the bear dressed as a bunny!!! 😍😍😍😍

@heartsmyface  The brand is NRK (Naruko) and I feel like they're getting harder to find. They are on Amazon and a couple other random sites I've never ordered from. The Bear/bunny is actually my favorite one so far!

Well @Shosh85 looks like this answers my other post to you 😉 All the packages are very pretty!

@ShortErica @heartsmyface   Looks like I missed one. Love polar bears. I think of Coca-Cola every time 😂 

CCD9DFC7-D508-42AD-804B-8EC4ECDABEDD.jpeg

Oh those are very cool @Shosh85. I will doodle tomorrow and post it. It always reminded me of oceans 🌊 . I did it a lot in HS to pass the time! That bear cracks me up, too;)

@eshoe  Oooh, I'd love to see it! It reminds me of the ocean too 😉 I doodled a lot in school too 😃 Did you ever go through a jelly pen phase? In middle school they were very popular and everyone used them to draw on themselves or each other! My hands and binder were always covered in jelly pen doodles 😃

I didn’t have jelly pens then @Shosh85, but I am making up for that now😂

CC10BC5E-9F3A-41B1-B1A3-CECDCC68D52C.jpeg

This is a 3x5 card of the type of doodle I used to do. I forgot how time-consuming it is , perfect for passing the time in class😊

@eshoe  Oh wow! I love it! That certainly is unique! 😃

Thanks @Shosh85 ☺️ It looks so fuzzy, all my photos do here recently🤷🏻‍♀️ Fun to make, though!

Darn, that's a shame on the hydrolock mask, @Shosh85. At least you've found others from that brand that worked for you!

@quspork  Yeah, it was just kinda "meh." It's not the worst mask I've ever tried, just seemed like a waste of 25 minutes 😂

M = May Island Sparkle Pearl Sheet Mask. 

I think this is the first May Island skincare item I've ever tried.I think this is the first May Island skincare item I've ever tried.

Notes: 

Spoiler

Claims: Highly moisturizes skin; provides softness and glow. 

Ingredients: 3 forms of hyaluronic acid, a ceramide, trehalose, and glycerin should make this a hydrating and moisturizing mask. Always glad to see soothing licorice root and allantoin, plus the anti-aging tripeptide glutathione. And the star ingredient, pearl extract, is plenty present. 

Spoiler
Water, Glycerin, Dipropylene Glycol, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, 1,2-Hexanediol, Pearl Extract (10ppm), Hydrolyzed Pearl, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium Acetylated Hyaluronate, Hydrolyzed Hyaluronic Acid, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Ceramide NP, Cholesterol, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclohexasiloxane, Polysorbate 60, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Arginine, Carbomer, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Glutathione, Trehalose, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Allantoin, Disodium EDTA, Hydroxyacetophenone, Chlorphenesin, Fragrance 

Performance: This thin lyocell sheet was very soft and completely soaked in a lotion serum. After a couple of inner corner eyehole snips, the sheet fit me quite well. I expected it to slide a lot on my face because of the sheet material and serum type, but it stayed in place. 

The serum has the type of floral fragrance I dislike. There’s a perfume that smells a lot like this, but I can’t remember which one—probably because I hate it. Anyway, the scent was persistent but not overwhelming, though I smelled it each time I moved my head. 

The mask felt very cooling during my 30 minute session. After removing the sheet, I spent 4-5 minutes massaging residual serum into my face—and there was plenty of it. I was able to squeeze 1/3 - 1/2 a handful of serum out of the used sheet, so I massaged some of that into my neck. After all that, I had no pilling anywhere and moderate tackiness. 

Results: Hella glowy skin that looked and felt hydrated and moisturized. I was so glowy, I double checked the ingredients for oil and nope, there really isn’t any in this mask. 😂  Now I wish I’d used this mask during glow week, because good grief! Once I stopped shifting my head and arching my neck to catch all my glowy angles in the mirror, I noticed my oily zone’s inflammation looked calmer. I was worried the fragrance might further irritate that skin, but nope. Whew! 

My skin felt like it might not need a moisturizer, but this mask lacks any occlusive type of moisturizing ingredient—well okay, there are a couple of silicones, but they’re more for emollience; they’re not occlusive like dimethicone. Still, I thought my usual YTTP Superfood would feel too heavy after this mask, so I used my Sephora gratis bottle of Drunk Elephant F-Balm instead as a lightweight moisturizer, then dabbed a little e.l.f. Nourishing Facial Oil all around my orbital area. Once all of that dried down, I applied my retinol serum over everything and called it a night. 

I have 4 more of these. I’ll probably reserve them for morning use—on the very rare mornings I use a sheet mask—because why not show off all that radiance? 

Hella glow 😆 @WinglessOne I've used a few masks that were in that description too 

@lmaster Gotta love the glow-making masks! 

@WinglessOne  I’m loving your review on this one! I want to try it!!!!

Thanks @ather !

@WinglessOne  I love a good glowy mask! I'd most likely dislike the scent too - but it definitely sounds like the results made up for that! So happy it turned out so great for you!

I'm curious about your opinion on dimethicone - I know it's a moisturizing ingredient, but I've heard that it's pretty notorious for clogging pores and a lot of people try to stay away from it. I don't think I've experienced clogged pores from using this ingredient, but just wanted to know your take on it. 🤔

@Shosh85  I wish I could remember which perfume this mask reminds me of. I've tried to think of it all day. 😂 I keep wanting to say it's one of the older Estee Lauder perfumes, but I'm not sure... it has a musty violet note, with lily and a bit of dandelion and some other stuff. Not a fan. 

About dimethicone: it's yet another victim of the “clean beauty” misinformation campaign. Dimethicone is non-comedogenic, and I don’t fully understand why some people insist it clogs pores, stops skin from “breathing,” etc. Oxygen has no problem getting through dimethicone. Actually, water can get through it, too. If you use a dimethicone-based moisturizer and apply a medication or OTC active ingredient product over it, dimethicone won’t prevent the active(s) from reaching your skin. If you use a serum that contains dimethicone, it won’t block skin penetration of any other products you layer over it. 

Spoiler
I usually call dimethicone an occlusive moisturizer, and it is—but there are different levels of occlusivity. Dimethicone isn’t nearly as occlusive as petrolatum, for instance. But it does decrease (eh, slow down) water loss. It also makes moisturizers feel very lightweight and silky/slippery. Many folks with dry skin need a more occlusive ingredient in their moisturizer. For oily skin, dimethicone-based moisturizers are often occlusive enough and feel nicer than heavier, more occlusive moisturizers. 
Sometimes I think folks who do actually get little bumps after using a dimethicone product are sensitive to either that ingredient or another ingredient in the product; it might not be dimethicone's fault at all. But sensitivity/irritation-related breakouts aren't the same thing as pore clogging. 
1 Reply
testing