Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

💕😌 2024 Masking Challenge 😌💖

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

March Madness
 - Competition is in the air. Find a worthy dupe of a 💰mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks💗

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge

Yes, an update on the other side would be great @Samtian 😊

Thursday’s masks were inspired by what I was making for dinner and was intended to check the boxes for this week and last week’s challenge themes - I used the sheet mask and Laneige lip balm in the morning and the wash off mask and Milk Lip Mask as part of my evening routine. L is for lupeol, found in eggplant, which is a shade of purple, a color of the rainbow. 😉 L is also for my “creatively” linear logic in putting together this masking arrangement.

Eggplant was on yesterday’s menu, both for my skin and for my tummy.Eggplant was on yesterday’s menu, both for my skin and for my tummy.

Sheet Mask:

Spoiler
Quret Beauty Recipe Eggplant Mask is marketed as a soothing mask and claims to calm sensitive skin and smooth skin texture. The thin, tencel material supports those claims as the soft material is known gently clinging to the skin, wearing comfortably (like second skin), and melding easily to the contours of the face. I’m not sure though about the ingredients in this mask for those with sensitive skin, as it contains both alcohol (5th ingredient listed – eek!) and added fragrance (listed last), which in this case, smelled floral to me and leaned on the stronger side. I don’t typically mind fragrance in sheet masks, but my general preference is that it comes from a natural source and that the scent is on the softer, more subtle side. In terms of results, my skin felt hydrated and smooth, and the redness on my cheeks was slightly (and temporarily, of course) diminished. The mask itself is fine – it does what I expect a sheet mask to do (hydrate skin) and it lived up to its claims. That said, it’s not a mask I would consider a standout as I think there are other masks out there that can and do provide comparable results.

Notable Ingredients:

Antioxidant, astringent, anti-aging – anise, eggplant, pomegranate (a natural exfoliant), and gingko biloba nut (increases collagen production, anti-bacterial)

Moisturizing – fig (a natural exfoliant), glycerin, and allantoin,

Brightening – mulberry (helps fade dark spots / hyperpigmentation)

Hydrating – sodium hyaluronate (salt form of hyaluronic acid)

Full Ingredients List:
Spoiler
Water, Glycerin, Dipropylene Glycol, Betaine, Alcohol, Allantoin, Phenoxyethanol, Carbomer, Arginine, Caprylyl Glycol, 1,2-Hexanediol, Propanediol, Illicium Verum (Anise) Fruit Extract, PEG-60 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Ethylhexylglycerin, Disodium EDTA, Xanthan Gum, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Sodium Hyaluronate, Butylene Glycol, Solanum Melongena (Eggplant) Fruit Extract, Punica Granatum Fruit Extract, Ficus Carica (Fig) Fruit Extract, Morus Alba Fruit Extract, Ginkgo Biloba Nut Extract, Fragrance

Wash Off Mask:

Spoiler
Papa Recipe Eggplant Clearing Mud Cream Mask is an unscented, deep purpled-hued, ultra-creamy mud mask that is made up of 66% eggplant fruit extract and 14% kaolin clay. In addition (and those with nut allergies should made note), this mask contains walnut shell powder, providing for some gentle exfoliation to the skin when applying and massaging off the mask. Depending on how thin a layer you apply, the mask will dry (if thin layer) but I didn’t experience that hard, dry, tight feeling that I can with some mud masks dry down. This mud mask is also pretty easy to rinse off, which I very much appreciated. As for the results, wow! My skin looked very bright; my pores seemed clearer, and my skin felt smooth and as I mentioned earlier, not at all dry or tight. I also noticed that some texture I had along my jawline was diminished. Overall, I’m happily impressed by this mask – “clearing mud cream mask” is a great name for it. It ordinarily comes in a tube form which I think is great for hygiene and long term use. You can also find them in these capsule pods which would be great for trying out (if they sold these individually) or for traveling. How many applications you get from one of these pods will depend on how thin or thick a layer you apply. My best guess would be maybe 2-5 applications from it, again, depending on the thickness of your applications and also if you are using this all over the face or just on certain areas, like the T-zone. This is one I would definitely recommend to all skin types, unless, of course, you are allergic or sensitive to any of the ingredients contained in this mask.

Notable Ingredients

Rejuvenating (aka anti-aging) – eggplant (rich in vitamins and minerals), hydroxycinnamic acid (antioxidant, also anti-inflammatory), and rutin

Detoxifying – kaolin clay and bentonite

Hydrating – chia seed and birch juice

Soothing, anti-inflammatory – centella asiatica (cica), houttuynia cordata (also controls sebum, refines pore), and calendula

NOTE: This mask contains alcohol; based on my research online they appear to be the good alcohols, but if your skin is sensitive to alcohol or you are looking to avoid it in skincare for any reason, this may be a pass for you.

Full Ingredients List (from yesstyle (dot) com😞
Spoiler
Solanum Melongena (Eggplant) Fruit Extract, Kaolin, Propanediol, Dipropylene Glycol, Isononyl Isononanoate, 1,2-Hexanediol, Ultramarines (CI 77007), Arachidyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Glyceryl Stearate, Stearyl Alcohol, Behenyl Alcohol, Iron Oxides (CI 77491), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Juglans Regia (Walnut) Shell Powder, Arachidyl Glucoside, Salvia Hispanica (Chia) Seed Extract, Centella Asiatica (Gotu Kola) Extract, Houttuynia Cordata Extract, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Bentonite, Betula Platyphylla Japonica Juice, Water, Glyceryl Stearate SE, Ethylhexylglycerin, Xanthan Gum, Tocopheryl Acetate, Butylene Glycol, Disodium EDTA, Allantoin, Glucose, Calendula Officinalis (Pot Marigold) Flower Extract, Hydroxycinnamic Acid, Rutin

Lip Products:

Spoiler
I love lip balms. 💖 Laneige Lip Glowy Balm - Gummy Bear is the new flavor to this lineup, which I find to be a nice daytime balm. This one has a lavender tint to it and keeps my lips soft, lightly moisturized and adds a nice, light, sheen to them as well. I eyed the MILK Makeup Melatonin Overnight Lip Mask for a good bit after it first launched but was quickly swayed to pick it up after hearing how well @heartsmyface liked it - and for good reason! My lips look and feel soft, smooth and moisturized the next morning.

LANEIGE Lip Glowy Balm Gummy Bear (looks like there's currently a set out for the holidays with a mini version of this gummy bear flavor as well as the original berry flavor (which has a sheer pink tint to it) - LANEIGE Glowy Lip Wonders)

MILK MAKEUP Melatonin Overnight Lip Mask 

@itsfi  Well the sheet mask would probably be a pass for me because of the alcohol and scent, but the wash-off mask sounds wonderful! I've tried several Papa Recipe sheet masks, but haven't tried any of their other products! Though, I did just get a sample of the Bombee Honey Cleanser that I'm excited to test out! Have you tried any of their other products?

The wash off was great @Shosh85. And such a pretty hue, which I forgot to include a pic of in my original post. Here’s what it looks like, straight from the pod and then thinned out.

8AEB84E3-6D34-4587-89B5-0BF50306A694.jpeg

I have a honey serum 🍯 (I’m pretty sure it’s a serum, I have) from Papa Recipe. 🤩 I am using a couple other honey products right now and haven’t tried the Papa Recipe yet, but it won’t be long before I do. My skin loves honey. 💛🍯 I’ll be very interested to know your thoughts on the PR cleanser after you’ve had plenty of time to try it out. 💛🍯

@itsfi @Oh wow, that’s some intense color!  I’d almost be worried about it staining my face!  

@heartsmyface, that’s a really good point. I don’t tend to keep clay masks on for very long, mostly because I’m concerned they’ll dry out my skin. This one calls for 10-15 minutes. I think I left it on for about 10.

@itsfi   But no staining at all?  Usually if I’m stained it happens right away.  I am in the habit of doing arm swatches and I usually find out what the offending product is when I go to wash them off😆🤞

@heartsmyface, no staining for me. 😀 I plan to use the mud mask again, maybe on Sunday, and will put some on my arm for longer than 10 minutes to see if it stains. Will let you know.

@heartsmyface @itsfi  This makes me think of Violet on Willy Wonka when she turns into a big blueberry ....... "Violet, you're turning violet, Violet!" 😂 

@Shosh85 🤣. That would be both hilarious and traumatizing! 

@Shosh85 @heartsmyface nice Willy Wonka reference. 💜

P.S. I haven’t turned into a blueberry ... yet. 😂 

@itsfi  Ooooh, love the color! 💜

Love eggplant!! @itsfi wonderful theme as usual!! Great creativity and presentation

Thank you @lmaster! 🤗 Eggplant is great - I didn’t care for it all as a kid but have really grown to like it as an adult. The cream mud mask is a good find too. 😃

Love the purplelish theme! I’ve been wanting to purchase the gummy bear but I’m still working on my Apple lime and am trying to not horde so much. @itsfi 

@Weetart, not hoarding is a good thing. 👍🏼 Laneige puts out different flavors with some frequency; love that they give a lot of product but with these balms, I’m happy when they have mini’s. 😉 

The Papa Recipe mud mask sounds like such a nice one, @itsfi. It's always nice to find a mud mask that isn't overly drying. 

Yes @quspork! 100% agree. I’m happy to see more and more non-drying mud masks coming into the market. 😍

@itsfi   The gummy bear flavour is oos right now but I am stalking it and hoping it’s not TOO limited edition.  
Honestly I forgot I owned the Milk lip treatment!  😇Pulling it out to put into rotation.  

@heartsmyface, the MILK lip mask is such a good one. 👍🏼 I often wish Laneige would make mini sizes of their lip sleeping masks and lip balms. Makes it easier to try all the flavors, especially the LE ones. 

@itsfi   That would make such a good gift set!   Minis of all their flavours!  
I pulled the lip mask out and used it last night.  Sooo good.  I’m just going to keep it on the nightstand since drier skin season is upon us . 

19 Replies
testing