Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

Welcome to the second half of the year!

mp2.jpg

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks💗 Below is the 2020 schedule. Post as frequently or infrequently as you would like, with or without following the challenge. We love hearing about every masking experience, and suggestions are always welcome. Looking forward to sharing some new masking 💖 as we close out the year!

This Week’s Theme: Blind Pick Your Mask - Let's make it fun to use the masks in our stash! Many thanks to @veronika23 for this week’s fun challenge!

Letters of the Week: “F” and “U”

Spoiler

Jun 29 - Jul 5

A & Z

Masking Pet Peeves - use a mask that has some component that drives you crazy!

@ShortErica

Jul 6 - 12

B & Y

Masking Hacks - share your masking secrets that make your life easier and your skin happy

@eshoe

Jul13 - 19

C & X

Lip, Hand or Foot Masks to help that summer skin

Jul 20 - 26

D & W

’Weird Mask' Bubbling, Peeling, Colour changing other worldly wonders!

@aalia

Jul 27 - Aug 2

E & V

Multi-Masking How many masks can you use at one time or in One Day??

Aug 3 - 9

F & U

Blind Pick Your Mask - Let's make it fun to use the masks in our stash!

@veronika23

Aug 10 - 16

G & T

Sheet Mask Focus - from cotton to cupra, coconut gel to bio cellulose, what are your favorites and why?

Aug 17 - 23

H & S

Drugstore & Grocery Brands Week

@eshoe

Aug 24 - 30

I & R

3-Step Masks/Multi-Step Masks

@heartsmyface

Aug 31 - Sep 6

J & Q

Rainbow Week - Bring out the colorful masks in every hue

@sonnydee

Sep 7 - 13

K & P

Autumn Masks - Fall goodness in a mask

Sep 14 - 20

L & O

When you are getting GLAM for a night out and want that inner GLOW

Sep 21 - 27

M & N

BIC Made you do it! Masks recommended/inspired by other BIC members

Sep 28 - Oct 4

N & M

Sephora Collections Week - House Brand Goodness

Oct 5 - 11

O & L

Masks that Make you Hungry - Fall/Winter Edition

@itsfi

Oct 12 - 18

P & K

Forgotten Wonders - Shop your stash for an unloved mask

Oct 19 - 25

Q & J

Overnight Masks - Sleeping miracles in a jar

Oct 26 - Nov 1

R & I 

Masking Duel Week II

@eshoe

Nov 2 - 8

S & H

Buddy Up! Dare to compare the same mask with another BIC-er

@eshoe

Nov 9 - 15

T & G

Gross/Odd/Unusual Ingredients - Spirulina, donkey milk, bee venom, snail mucous - what masks have you used that have strange ingredients?

@Aaliaa

Nov 16 - 22

U & F

Flash Masks - masks that do doubly duty in half the time

@eshoe

Nov 23 - 29

V & E

Morning Masking - Masks that help give a pep to your step

Nov 30 - Dec 6

W & D

Mask that would make a good band name (kinda silly, I know)

@PrettyPaint

Dec 7 - 13

X & C

Holiday Party Prep Mask

Dec 14 - 20

Y & B

Most Artistic Sheet Mask

@Kim888

Dec 21 - 27

Z & A

Favourite Masks of All-Time

@itsfi

Dec 28 - 31

Masks you discovered this year

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, if it's an exfoliating mask (include acid info if known), your overall experience, and whether or not you would repurchase. Don't forget to include a grade (thanks to @ShortErica for the idea) to help others along the way.

Most importantly, have fun and merry masking!

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge Part 1:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125 

Got an idea for next year's challenge? Let me know! Was there a challenge you'd rather not repeat? Share below, so we can start building the 2021 schedule:

Spoiler

Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

@sonnydee  Bubble masks can be a lot of fun, as long as you don't get any in your eyes or mouth! Probably a good decision to keep your mouth closed 😂 Happy to hear this one performed well!

No talking with this one @Shosh85 🙊

TJ Maxx boxes are so the way to buy masks @sonnydee! Hope it pops up there for you.

Me too. If not I'll just add 1 in my direct TCS orders @ShortErica to hit the free shipping mark 😋

RE: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

D is for Deep Purifying. I whipped out your Charcoal Face Mask. My skin felt nice and smooth after a good soak. Of course I’m not sure if I have found a lookatme mask that I haven’t liked. Really a lovely mask. Light lemony slight fruit scent. Comfortable but a bit short in the forehead, not a dealbreaker.

Re: RE: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

@Weetart  I'm not a big fan of charcoal masks because of my skin type, but I thought this one was great! Happy to hear you've been enjoying the line! 😃

Happy you enjoyed this one, @Weetart-it really is a nice charcoal mask:)

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

D is for Dewy Skin Mask. I love this sheet mask - one of my favourites. Makes my skin feel incredible - so plump and hydrated.

@ladyassassin  This one's on my list to try sometime! Happy to hear you love it! 😃

Ahhhh this is on my to-do list, @ladyassassin! Curious if you’ve tried both, and if so, you have a favorite🤔

@eshoe Tatcha's other mask? Hmm, I have not. I will have to look into it though! See which one I like better!

The Tatcha Luminous Deep Hydration Lifting Mask 4 x 0.68 oz/ 20 mL masks is the other one that I know of, @ladyassassin. I don’t see it in a single here, unfortunately! The brand has it, though, and at $25 it’s quite a splurge for a single use mask😳 

@ladyassassin  This is my fav too!

W = watermelon. Tonight’s mask was the new Sephora Clean Watermelon Face Mask. 

I wish I could remember how I felt about the original "dirty" version of this mask, for comparison.I wish I could remember how I felt about the original "dirty" version of this mask, for comparison.

Notes: 

Spoiler

Claims: Hydrates, plumps, and tones skin. 

Ingredients: As with most Sephora sheet masks, this one’s star ingredient is near the end of the ingredients list. But rice ferment has high placement, so this mask should provide some brightening. And the amino acids found in sake should help to smooth skin texture and provide hydration. 

Spoiler
Aqua (Water), Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Rice Ferment Filtrate (Sake), Polyglyceryl-10 Laurate, 1,2-Hexanediol, Hydroxyacetophenone, Lecithin, Parfum (Fragrance), Sodium Polyacrylate, Sorbitan Caprylate, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Hyaluronate, Citrullus Lanatus (Watermelon) Fruit Extract, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate 

Performance: This thin, meshy, eucalyptus fiber mask contained almost all the clear runny gel serum available in the sleeve. Like the grapefruit mask, this one didn’t cover as much of my jaw as I’d like. I did lots of eyehole tailoring, widening the holes at both corners and the top, mostly to keep the sheet from drooping down into my upper lash line and getting serum in my eyes. I also shortened the nose, widened the mouth hole, and shortened the philtrum to keep it off my cupid’s bow. I’ll have to remember to make all these cuts on each of the Sephora Clean masks I bought—preferably before I put them on my face. 

There wasn’t much of a watermelon scent… more like a very light watermelon scent that’s quickly lost in a rather prominent scent of sea shore candle buried in powdered laundry detergent. The sheet was comfy and cooling. This mask is meant to be worn for 5 minutes but I went a total of 35, then spent a couple minutes massaging and pressing in residual serum. I had no pilling and some mild tackiness. 

Results: Nicely hydrated and brightened skin, with a bit of bounciness. The mask’s fragrance clung to my skin after I applied moisturizer; I can’t smell it much right now, but I still hope it completely disappears overnight. I keep picking on the scent but I don’t hate it… eh, it’s just not at all what I expected from a watermelon mask, and it’s not my favorite skincare scent in general. 

If this mask didn’t have this “hey, that’s not watermelon” fragrance and Sephora lowered the price of singles (or offered a value-priced pack of 5 or 10), I’d consider buying more of this one. $5.50 USD seems a bit high for what’s mostly a hydrating rice ferment mask. My superstar hydrating mask (Abib Mild Acidic pH Heartleaf) costs $4 per individual sheet, and the box of 5 LuLuLun Premium Kyoto Geisha masks (which contains sake lees) works out to $4.60/mask, so… I’m just sayin’. 

@WinglessOne  I was having trouble pinpointing the scent on this one and your description was spot on! 👌 I was pleased with the results as well, but it's hard to get past that scent. 😬

@WinglessOne those old "dirty" masks 🤣

@ShortErica  🤣I will forever be annoyed by the whole "clean" beauty trend. 

RE: Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

@WinglessOne, this is the version I had in my recent gratis, and I think I described it as having a laundry detergent-type scent. It really threw me off guard! I bought the Lychee version to try, hoping for better luck with that one. I’ve never tried to cut a mask prior to placing it on my face; most times I’m lucky just to get it unfolded before dripping most of the serum all over the sink. I might try it just out of curiosity sometime 🤷🏻‍♀️

Re: RE: Re: 2020 Mask of the Week Challenge - PART II

@eshoe  That laundry detergent fragrace seems to be in a lot of Sephora's sheet and stick masks. Sephora really loves that scent for some reason! 

I also bought the lychee mask, and a few other: spirulina, pomegranate, pineapple (which I might regret; we'll see how my face handles it), and coconut. Interestingly, the coconut mask contains more watermelon extract than this watermelon mask. 😄 Anyway, can't wait to hear your thoughts on the lychee mask! Let's hope it doesn't smell like laundry. 

@WinglessOne  Have you tailored a mask while it was on your face? If so I’m impressed!!

@ather  Yep, I tailor most masks while they're on my face. 🙂 I use a pair of blunt nosed brow/beard trimming scissors that have curved-out tips, so I can't accidentally stab myself while cutting. 

I'm still considering buying a second larger pair of scissors for jobs like chin trimming, but these do the job just fine.I'm still considering buying a second larger pair of scissors for jobs like chin trimming, but these do the job just fine.

I do cut some masks before putting them on my face, though. I use a lot of different LuLuLun masks, so I pretty much know how their sheet fits me. I can tailor those as soon as I pull 'em from their pouches/box. 

1,531 Replies
Conversation Stats
Photos335
  • The eye patches I reach for most often.
  • mp2.jpg
  • I wish my skin loved grapefruit as much as my nose does.
  • Thanks, YesStyle, for marring this packaging with your sticker.
  • 95AA92FC-C259-4A86-9792-D371BF6DE5AE.jpeg
  • EB947FDF-F7F4-4BCA-A209-639327AAE741.jpeg
  • D8DC0C1D-492C-4C5E-9F38-98A3FDDB828F.jpeg
  • papaya.jpg
  • Papayaing.JPG
  • Again with the unfortunate sticker placement.
  • Thank goodness all this info's available at Abib's site, otherwise I'd strain my old lady eyes to death.
  • BubbleMask.jpg
  • Bubble Mask on.jpg
  • Bubbles!.jpg