Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 
Post in Skincare Aware
|

๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ 2024 Masking Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

6ADE6F2B-300D-4DE5-8A89-DEBA0CC45743.gif

Welcome to the 2024 Masking Challenge! 

This year is going to be a little different - simplified. Easy. Every month will have a new theme, and that's it. Feel free to join in whenever and wherever. Most importantly - have fun!

Spring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights ๐Ÿ’ฎ

Spoiler
JanuaryFresh Starts - Time for a re-set, or morning masking? However you see it, this month is all about new beginnings.
FebruaryWinter Love - Whether it's a mask you adore, or something extra-special to care for dry winter skin, this month is for some soothing TLC.
MarchMarch Madness - Competition is in the air! Find a $ dupe of a $$$ mask that is share-worthy? Or find a dupe that works even better than the original? Details, please!
AprilSpring Fling - Baskets and bouquets, showers of much-anticipated rain...this month's focus is herbal and floral sensory delights.
MayDew Drops - May Day lore says to wash your face in the dew you collect in the morning of the first day of May for radiant skin. This month is for absorbing all of that good-for-you H2O.
JuneSummer Sunshine - Ice cream, sunglasses, SPF, check! Once the sun is down (or before it's up), extra care is most necessary. How do you give your skin cooling repair?

Mask of the Week Misc. Info & Previous Year's Links:

Spoiler

To Post:

Each week features a different theme, as well as a letter of the alphabet for coming up with new masking ideas. 

Please include the brand and name of the mask you are trying out, as well as a photo if possible. Any other details are greatly appreciated, including scent, fit, adherence, mask type (hydrating, brightening, exfoliating, detox, sleeping, etc.) as well as your overall experience.

Most importantly: Would you repurchase it? 

Second most important: Have fun and merry masking!

2023 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
2022p1.png
2022p2.png
2022p3.png
2022p4.png

2022 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
JAN - MAR.pngAPR - JUN.pngJUL - SEP.pngOct-Dec.png

2021 Mask of the Week Challenge

Spoiler
motw1.pngmotw2.pngmotw3.png

2020 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2020-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge-PART-1/m-p/4995162/h...

2019 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/2019-Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/m-p/4497678/highligh...

2018 Mask of the Week Challenge:

https://community.sephora.com/t5/Skincare-Aware/Mask-of-the-Week-Challenge/td-p/3615125   

Thank you @Aaliaa for starting this thread, and giving us a place to share our love for masks๐Ÿ’—

Re: ๐Ÿ’•๐Ÿ˜Œ Mask of the Week Challenge ๐Ÿ˜Œ๐Ÿ’–

@itsfi  Yes I am glad my skin did look better even if there was no change in my pores๐Ÿ˜€

Honey was the theme for this masking session, which was about working through more of my supply of multi-mask packs and my exfoliating masks / scrubs. Honey is a great skincare ingredient and one I love for its anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory, non-comedogenic, oil-balancing, nourishing and healing properties. It's a wonderful ingredient year-round but especially nice during the cold winter holidays.
12.2022 Honey mask Winter.jpg

Sheet Mask: Japan Gals Sweet Honey Mask
Spoiler
WHAT I LIKE: 
* The multi-mask pack set up (but see below) is convenient, travel friendly, more eco-friendly than single use mask packs, minimizes waste
* The sheets in this mask pack hold more essence than other similar mask packs (but see below)
* Honey extract is in the top half of the ingredients list (6th ingredient listed) which consists of several ingredients known for their anti-aging properties also in the top half of the INCI list, including three forms of collagen and a peptide, as well as anti-oxidant-rich Job's Tears known for, among other things, its brightening and hydrating properties.
* Smells like honey - though the scent has an artificial feel to it (see below for more info on the scent)

AREA(S) FOR IMPROVEMENT: 
* Stronger seal for packaging - current set up doesn't do a great job of keeping serum from leaking out if the package tips over or is not otherwise standing upright. 
* While this holds more essence than other multi mask packs, it would be nice to see it hold even more, particularly for those whose skin leans more dry or dehydrated
* This is a personal opinion, but I would not have minded if the scent lingered longer.
* Would love to see added fragrance removed from the INCI list, though I do appreciate it is the last ingredient listed.

FYI / OTHER INFORMATION: 
* Sheet is made of 100% Japanese cotton, which is very common for Japanese branded multi-mask packs. Material leans slightly thicker than your standard Korean sheet mask.
* Upon the initial opening of the packet, there's a noticeable, light, synthetically-sweetened, honey scent with a subtle herbal note to it that, based on the INCI list, suggests it might be rosemary. This scent completely disappears once the sheet is removed from the packet - there's no trace of it as the mask is applied.  

BUY, BUY, BUY or BYE-BYE?: 
* The sheets in this mask pack are not bad, and I can see these working nicely for those with normal, combo, oily skin, given that the volume of essence in the mask is not overwhelming. That said, I do think there are better multi-mask packs out there for my skin type and skin concerns, possibly even ones with honey as a key ingredient. 
* I'm happy use the rest of the sheets in this pack (and have gone through most of them) but I don't see myself making too much effort to seek it out, and as a result, I'd have to put this in the "BYE-BYE" camp.
Wash Off Mask / Scrub: Skinfood Honey Sugar Food Mask 
Spoiler
WHAT I LIKE:
* Nourishing 
* Spreads easily
* Wears comfortably (but see below)
* Smells lightly of honey - I would have been just fine if the scent was more pronounced and lingered, but that's a personal preference
* Tiny granules are gentle on skin, but effective at exfoliating, cleansing and detoxing pores
* Quick - 10-minute wear time
* Love the results - skin is left feeling soft, smooth, hydrated and nourished
* Skin looks brightened after removing product
* Easy on the wallet - a large tub is $16 but there's usually a sale to be found somewhere online

AREA(S) FOR IMPROVEMENT:
* This was a mini / sample size but it would be nice if the full size included a spatula, maybe something contained in the interior of the lid to keep it from getting lost or dirty
* Cost - under $10
* Many Korean brands are known to reformulate their products with some frequency, as there are innovations in technology that may make for better products. Skinfood recently did a reformulation (or at least, a repackaging) of its skincare products, including these line of masks / scrubs. Would love to see added fragrance removed (while keeping the honey scent) in the next reformulation.

FYI / OTHER INFORMATION: 
* Has a thick-ish, lightly sticky consistency, which makes sense give that honey is the 5th ingredient listed, but this may not be universally loved

BUY, BUY, BUY or BYE-BYE?: 
* This is a BUY, BUY, BUY for me. 
* Highly recommend

12.2022 Skinfood honey.jpg

@itsfi  Well the packaging gets an A+++. But leaking serum is a no buy.  The little pot is a win!  Honey masks are so good for the skin! 

@Cissy63, the packaging is very pretty - I am sure that was a main reason in my purchasing the mask pack. ๐Ÿ˜‚ 

A honey theme is found to be especially soothing, @itsfi ๐Ÿ’› It is unfortunate the โ€˜nayesโ€™ outweighed the โ€˜yaysโ€™ on the sheet mask set. Thankfully Skinfood performed on par!

eta: if you have tried the pear mint, I would love to know what you think of that one. 

@eshoe, yep, a honey themed masking sesh is a good one ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿผ - one of my faves. ๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿฏ The mask was fine, just not so standout to be repurchased, in my opinion. Which makes sense; Iโ€™ve tried a lot of sheet masks and multi mask packs so thereโ€™s a certain minimum expectation I have for them. 

I remember you mentioning the pear mint mask when I posted about the masks set. This mini of the honey was part of that set.  Iโ€™ll let you know how it performs.

Thank you @itsfi, that mini set was probably a wise buy. The FS jars are so huge! I have yet to find a dupe for the Cranberry mask they had a few years ago ๐Ÿ˜ข

The Japan Gals mask doesn't sound too bad, @itsfi but having a multi-pack that doesn't seal well would definitely be an issue for me. Glad to hear the Skinfood is winner though! 

Right, @quspork? I'm hoping this was a one off with this packet being defective in that regard. I wasn't planning on traveling with this pack so no potential issues with the serum leaking everywhere.I've been pleased with the Skinfood scrubs - first the strawberry one and now this one. 

@itsfi  It's too bad the mask pack isn't very impressive, but at least the packaging is nice to look at ๐Ÿ˜…

That Skinfood mask has been in and out of my Ulta cart for forever - it's good to know you approve! ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

@Shosh85, yeah, I think I may have had higher expectations after I first caught a whiff of the scent from the packet. If only it lingered. Most multi mask pack sheets are less heavily saturated than the individually packaged one; it makes sense. I focused more on multi mask packs this year than in years past and am almost through all the ones I have. Yeaaah! Interestingly, the favorites I had going into the year are still my faves. ๐Ÿ‘

@itsfi 

Have you tried the medicated whitening one from this brand? I haven't tried them all but it's the one I think works best - it's soothing and brightening.

Oh, that's good to know about the medicated whitening mask @minathayes! I just looked it up and it sounds like a nice one. Do you use multi-mask packs like this more or individually packaged shee masks? I feel like with Japanese brands, I see more multi mask packs but that might just be me. 

@itsfi Those are both so pretty! The skinfood one has been on my try list for a while.

It's so easy to get drawn in by what our eyes see @Samtian! ๐Ÿ˜ Fortunately they both were not bad, with one being repurchase-worthy. And really, the other one isn't only because I've tried better ones so there's a higher standard it needs to meet and beat. 

The packing is beautiful! @itsfi too bad they were under par ๐Ÿ˜”

@lmaster, you probably wouldn't be surprised if I told you picked up the pack because of the design. Hahaha! I don't just eat with my eyes first; I mask with my eyes first as well. ๐Ÿ˜‚ It wasn't so bad; only sub par because of all the other masks and mask packs that have gone before it. lol.

Last week I did a little Wintery Holiday Masking (Thanks, @LilaMJ!). Here is a quick recap:

F27D5C08-79D3-4483-9106-F46D3F6B9BC6.jpeg

โ€ƒ

Spoiler
The Farmacy Honey Potion Plus Ceramide Hydration Mask is a tried and true cold-weather must for me. I have lost track of how many jars I have gone through, and this one is nearing its end, so it is time to replenish again. The smaller jar works better for me than the larger one, as over time, it seems to lose some of its warming characteristic.

I gave my lips a little scrub-scrub-scrub with the MAC Cosmetics Lip Scrubtious 0.4 oz/ 14 mL. It has a vanilla cake batter scent and tiny little granules, leaving behind polished lips without going overboard. After removing, I applied a thin layer of the Trader Joeโ€™s Lip Balm Butter, which has a just-right blend of softening balm with a long-lasting layer of locked-in hydration (many thanks to @SportyGirly125 for both lip goodies ๐Ÿ’—).  

40D9627C-2919-49B1-9A01-87AD0209D633.jpeg

The Creme Shop Winter Remedy mask has a couple of ingredients my skin loves in the winter - cica and hyaluronic acid. 

There are plenty of other extracts, like licorice, carrot, ficus, along with with madecassic acid and ceramide. There are little eye flaps, and overall, the sheet fits just fine. I donโ€™t notice much of a scent, maybe a little โ€˜fresh,โ€™ in the clear, slightly thickened serum. There is a small amount of residual serum in the packet that I pat on my face around the 10 minute mark, and remove after 20. It left my skin a little tacky, but I am at the point where I hardly notice anymore. Same with mask fit - has this happened to anyone else? The things that used to really irritate and bother me in masking are all out the window ๐Ÿ™‚ I bought a five pack of this and would pick up another if I happened across it.

Ingredients:

Spoiler
6807DFC9-5284-4ABC-BE89-9253B0779A58.jpeg

Finally, I gave my skin a generous layer of the HydroPeptide Hydro-Lock Sleep Mask Royal Peptide Treatment. This rich gel-like cream has a subtle lemon chiffon scent, sweet but not cloying.A little goes a long way, and it absorbs quickly, perfect for just before bed. More than anything, I have noticed my cheeks do not feel taut or dry in the morning - which means it is doing its job! I was a little skeptical based on the texture/consistency, but thankfully my fears were set aside after the initial use. It might be one of my favorite sleeping masks, because it doesnโ€™t feel like one - but sure works like one!

9D79F56B-5848-43BB-A8F4-AF30CD3C9EF9.jpeg

โ€ƒ

@eshoe 

I had no idea MAC made a lip scrub.

Neither did I, @missy94612 ๐Ÿคท๐Ÿปโ€โ™€๏ธ Iโ€™ve learned a lot hanging around here ๐Ÿ˜Š

Ahh amazing!! @eshoe ๐Ÿ™‚

21,372 Replies
testing